Discuss What Reg would you like to see added to BS7671? and what should be removed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd remove the requirement to provide RCD protection to additional sockets, or cables hidden in walls, where existing sockets and cables are not already protected. Fair enough if it's right next to the back door, but otherwise the benefit doesn't justify the cost. I'm not saying that RCDs aren't a good idea, but the right way is to provide cover for the whole circuit or installation.

It's crazy to have to provide an RCD for an additional socket for a television in a bedroom, where it's surrounded by others not so protected. I guess the answer to apply a sticker 'television only', but it shouldn't be necessary.

Expand section 2 Definitions to include thingummies, doodads and wotsits. Get rid of any references to needing "bonding" (pfft, whatever that is?) and make RCDs optional, depending on how fiddly they are to introduce. Oh, and whatever the reg is that says pattress boxes, back boxes etc. must be slightly smaller than you actually need - get rid of that one.

Perhaps a tighter definition of "inaccessible" -- i.e. being able to take the carpet up and unscrew the floorboard doesn't count as accessible! Nor does being able to crawl thro' a tiny opening in the loft space to the far end of the porch! etc.... etc .....

well, if you live in a 50's ex navy property ... Junction boxes concreted over, dropped in the cavity,
a real pleasure.

well, if you live in a 50's ex navy property ... Junction boxes concreted over, dropped in the cavity, a real pleasure.

Cant be true! There were none of these so called "Electrical Trainee's" around then, it was only real 'leccys' doing the job and they wouldn't have done things like that surely?!?!

Competent person should be changed to qualified person.

Disagree -

Competent covers your ability to undertake work safely with a good understanding of what you are undertaking.

Qualified means you just have a piece of paper that says you are good at tailored multi-choice questions and can pass a dumbed down exam...

If you ever find yourself in court its been competent to undertake the work that you have to prove, holding bits of paper up does not prove this although it may aid your defence if your had the cert's and could actively proof your knowledge and why you are not to blame although its not a requirement.

The minute we start using the term qualified we lose the value of it... it would mean a 1day qualified person holds the same level as someone whos done 30yrs exp.... now i know who would tend to be more competent to do a task I set although it can work in reverse ... someone of 30yrs experience who hasn't kept up to amendments and changing practices may be less competent than a 1-day qualified sparks.

Personally I would like to see a reg insisting on Isolation for fans and showers in Domestic installations, I am sure there are dozens of others as well, but rather than name more at this point, what do you lot think about potential new Regs? and also which regs should we get rid of?

fused fan isolators , new amendment just another way of getting more money out of us well thats what it should be called , i would like to see a british standard for light fittings instead of CE as the CE is an abosolute joke especially when they tell you to stick the loops out side the enclosure they supply and wrap it up in tape

Documentation:
Every new installation, no matter how small, should have a wiring diagram.
And, ALL cables must have some form of Alphanumeric identification (at both ends!).

Competent person should be changed to qualified person.

The amendment 3 DPC has already ditched competent from the definitions.
It proposes electrically skilled, and electrically instructed as new definitions of competence, defined as follows

Instructed person (electrically). Person adequately advised or supervised by electrically skilled persons to
enable him/ or her to perceive risks and to avoid hazards which electricity can create.

Ordinary person. Person who is neither a skilled person nor an instructed person.

Skilled person (electrically). Person with technical knowledge or sufficient relevant education and experience
to enable him/ or her to perceive risks and to avoid hazards which electricity can create.

Reply to What Reg would you like to see added to BS7671? and what should be removed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net