Discuss Where to put main protective bonding conductor if no water mains isolation in house in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all New to the site ! It ! brilliant. Its a real result to find such a community forum. great subjects and discussions, already been so helpful...

Thanks

So got this question. In house and to turn the water mains of its only from street. No mains isolation in house. so where would I need to put my main bonding? closest visible point of entry?

thanks

Re: Where to put main protective bonding conductor if no water mains isolation in hou

I recently had this discussion with my niceic inspector and in the regs it says where reasonably practical so if the meter or entry is far away then wherever you can get it

Re: Where to put main protective bonding conductor if no water mains isolation in hou

"reasonably practical" is the sensible approach too.

If I was you, I'd make sure it was somewhere "obvious" like under the sink in the kitchen (or where ever the water comes into the house) so if somebody is looking for it, at a later date, they should find it.

Shall be made as near as practical to the point of entry of that service into the premises

No internal stop tap,then no concern about being on consumers side

I thought the requirement was for the position to be within 600mm of where the pipe enters the building?

I thought the requirement was for the position to be within 600mm of where the pipe enters the building?

Yes this what i thought ! Thought Gas was suppliers side. still 600. OSG p29 Note 3

Pipe enters under floor. from what i can see its copper . without ripping any more boards up...so maybe plastic on entry. still asked plumber he pointed to the copper pipe.
SO yeah under floor. So could clamp where i got board up and then also continue that 10mm un broken to the nearest sink or visible point.

Not sure if my post comes over as I intended

My opinion is
The connection needs to be as close as practical to that point of entry and as has been stated within 600mm
Bonding in the kitchen,at the sink, when there is exposed pipework prior to that Kitchen sink is not the intention of the reg

Last edited:

Des 56 In your opinion if that kitchen sink is THE closest place to point of entry where visible are you saying its fair game

sorry I SHOULD SAY does regs imply this could be Ok?

If its the nearest practicable position then yes
If you are making that decision because its the most conveniant,then no

In the end it all boils down to the individual persons veiw on what is practical

If its the nearest practicable position then yes
If you are making that decision because its the most conveniant,then no

In the end it all boils down to the individual persons veiw on what is practical

Yeah i totally agree. convenient and practical do have a different meaning. convenience does not necessary have safety in its interests.

Is this post for real? Are all of you for real?

God damn it's been a long night.

where the water pipe comes into the property, above the floor, accessible position, get the plumber to fit a stop tap. this will a. give you a point to bond to. b. give you an accessible means of turning off the water supply incase of a leak, save going outside in the dark to isolate the water.

The whole point of keeping the bond connection as close to the entry of the building as possible is because of future alterations to the pipe work. If you bond the pipe work at 'entry' to the building then no matter what alterations are made then the pipe work will still be bonded. Bond it elsewhere then alterations in the pipe work may well disconnect the earth bond.

Hope Rocker and Spin are still giggling.

Last edited by a moderator:

There should be a label on the CU indicating where the bond is.

I bet they are really giggling now.....

Reply to Where to put main protective bonding conductor if no water mains isolation in house in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net