Discuss Where to start. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been out to a family member that has just brought a new property.

He would like a few new sockets the usual. Open the cupboard under the stairs to find this.

epatu7e7.jpg

anu7y2up.jpg

ru9u3yvu.jpg

7a8y7ete.jpg

All earthed metal conduit. A real piece of workmanship just seems a shame to take it all out. Would be nice to keep some of it but where to start!

The lack of rcd protection being the main problem for any additions.

What would you guys do?
I was considering a second board and running new circuits out or possibly using the conduit to pull new cables through and then floor boards up and new rings?

All advise welcome!

The thing that bothers me most about replacing it is there really is nothing wrong with it ( apart from not meeting current regulations) and would out last the cheap Chinese tat that replaces it!

If it were me then I,d be making some of the radials into rings,flexi conduit and add earth for the under floor bit,as for rcd I,d just put one up front if I were that bothered.as others have said that install will outlast a lot of the modern crap.

Lovely. Proper gear. As said will outlast the latest plastic cobblers.

i expect they will not want you to leave it though, as cupboard space will be taken up.

The owner actually quite like it.

Would have been nice if the guy that fitted it labelled it up though.

Have spent all morning with this

7ymabavu.jpg

And it new friend:

be4u2atu.jpg

For the old sockets with 4.5A fuse wires.

Im considering running 16a radials to each room through the old conduit and adding new sockets from the original position.

Hopefully saving the walls as much as possible then its just floors up.

The lights im going to test, They seem to be live looped in at the switch,

u5etanun.jpg

And the neutrals and the switch line at the light itself.

Starting to think din rails in the old case with an rcd up front for the sockets

Then putting the lights on mcbs (no rcd) as its earthed metal conduit.

One question

I have seen small metal bars fitted in old imperial size light fittings so that new switches can be fitted (due to position of the patress screws)

Does anybody know what these are called or where i might source them?

As replacing the old solid ones would be a nightmare and involve smashing the wall to bits.

Can see this job being a real labour of love!

Last edited:
There’s got to be a way to reuse a lot of that.
Shanky’s suggestion of a metal clad board sits well with me but I’d go for SPSN RCBO’s. Not a cheap solution I know but how much time is it going to take to rip it all out and start again?

Like anything, money will govern what gets done.

I’ve got to say, I love how that neutral bar has been done.

If everything is in steel conduit, wiring in good condition and tests out well.....why not change all the sockets to RCD version ?....and add a 17th board for any new stuff, of course.

If everything is in steel conduit, wiring in good condition and tests out well.....why not change all the sockets to RCD version ?....and add a 17th board for any new stuff, of course.
crap idea. 1. cost. 2. cables to sockets still not RCD protected. my solution would be to fit a RCD/MCB sub-main for the new work and leave the existing well alone ( except for getting rid of any neutral fusing)

crap idea. 1. cost. 2. cables to sockets still not RCD protected. my solution would be to fit a RCD/MCB sub-main for the new work and leave the existing well alone ( except for getting rid of any neutral fusing)
the cables dont need to be rcd protected if they are in metalic containement and im sure only sockets exspected to be used outdoors need rcd

You could seperate the two rows of fuses and supply each one through external RCDs,
You'd just need to get a six way enclosure with main switch and two RCDs.
Fit it in there in place of that main switch and away you go.

Can't remember such bullsh0t from you before.....20odd rcd sockets ain't gonna break anyone.....and as regards the cable protection...time you came out of hibernation, tel...:8:that lager must have gone to your head, mate.

Can't remember such bullsh0t from you before.....20odd rcd sockets ain't gonna break anyone.....and as regards the cable protection...time you came out of hibernation, tel...:8:that lager must have gone to your head, mate.

Say what ?
If I was sorting out this job I would much rather have £300 to spend on materials in the distribution cupboard than spend the same amount on littering butt ugly RCD sockets about the place and call it a job.

Say what ?
If I was sorting out this job I would much rather have £300 to spend on materials in the distribution cupboard than spend the same amount on littering butt ugly RCD sockets about the place and call it a job.

Say what you want......I thought he was after options.

I quite like them. The gist I think was to save the gear in the cupboard. I think it was a valid suggestion

I agree such a rare thing (these days) should be preserved if possible. But looking at horrifically thick white plastic tat with coloured buttons sat on the walls every day as opposed to glancing a plastic CU every once in a while ? I know what I would want for my own house.

I reckon a custom job could be the way forward to strike a balance between regs compliance and deference for the skills of a former electrician. I say that the MEM cabinet could be stripped out and adapted to house din rails (as hinted at by the OP) and allow the alterations.
Would be a complete labour of love mind you.

I agree such a rare thing (these days) should be preserved if possible. But looking at horrifically thick white plastic tat with coloured buttons sat on the walls every day as opposed to glancing a plastic CU every once in a while ? I know what I would want for my own house.

I reckon a custom job could be the way forward to strike a balance between regs compliance and deference for the skills of a former electrician. I say that the MEM cabinet could be stripped out and adapted to house din rails (as hinted at by the OP) and allow the alterations.
Would be a complete labour of love mind you.

Options and opinions, then. You get what you pay for.

In ripping it apart and rebuilding it with MCBs etc you are pretty much building your own DB for which I would imagine you'll have to deal with CE marking and lots of statutory regulations.

My earlier suggestion of fitting an enclosure with main switch and 2 RCDs to feed each row of fuses would be much simpler.
It wouldn't take much to chop that neutral bar in two.

In ripping it apart and rebuilding it with MCBs etc you are pretty much building your own DB for which I would imagine you'll have to deal with CE marking and lots of statutory regulations.

My earlier suggestion of fitting an enclosure with main switch and 2 RCDs to feed each row of fuses would be much simpler.
It wouldn't take much to chop that neutral bar in two.

I'm not sure you would have to justify such a build to any particular standard, but it would certainly be a PITA ... lol

The trouble is you probably wouldn't find out for sure until the judge is telling you all about it as you stand humbly in the dock.

Not sure about that. I've never really thought twice about mounting din rails carrying switchgear in metal enclosures, or even adaptable boxes. My thinking would be that as long as you complied with the rules for enclosures in BS7671 then all would be well with the world. I can't think of any aspect of that enclosure that would cause me concern in mounting equipment inside it. There is not much at all to an enclosure that you purchase specifically for this purpose.

Or am I just being a bit eager ?

Been out to a family member that has just brought a new property.

He would like a few new sockets the usual. Open the cupboard under the stairs to find this.

epatu7e7.jpg

anu7y2up.jpg

ru9u3yvu.jpg

7a8y7ete.jpg

All earthed metal conduit. A real piece of workmanship just seems a shame to take it all out. Would be nice to keep some of it but where to start!

The lack of rcd protection being the main problem for any additions.

What would you guys do?
I was considering a second board and running new circuits out or possibly using the conduit to pull new cables through and then floor boards up and new rings?

All advise welcome!

I think I would install a Lathe in the living room and a Milling Machine in the dining room and start a nice little engineering company.

I have no problem with mounting din tails and all sorts of stuff in an enclosure.

But to make a domestic CU you would also have to make and fix an internal cover to allow the untrained to reset a breaker without exposing live parts.
Yes it can be done, but at what cost in time and materials?

I have no problem with mounting din tails and all sorts of stuff in an enclosure.

But to make a domestic CU you would also have to make and fix an internal cover to allow the untrained to reset a breaker without exposing live parts.
Yes it can be done, but at what cost in time and materials?

Yep true.... would love to see it done though

Yep true.... would love to see it done though

I wouldn't though, I think butchering old equipment to make it into something else is wrong. If you do that then it is no longer the thing which you are trying to preserve.

The neutral fused main switch has got to go anyway, so might as well do the modifications there. Or else take the board out and replace with a new metal CU with SPSN RCBOs

I wouldn't though, I think butchering old equipment to make it into something else is wrong. If you do that then it is no longer the thing which you are trying to preserve.

The neutral fused main switch has got to go anyway, so might as well do the modifications there. Or else take the board out and replace with a new metal CU with SPSN RCBOs

There's an echo around here.

Reply to Where to start. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net