Discuss Which consumer units are best in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There'll be some on here that will like the dual screw terminations. I thought they looked quite a lot taller than the other makes, but their dual rcd units are 256mm high, compared to similar Wylex unit of 261mm. Doesn't appear to be any prices, are they part of Proteus, distributed by CEF?

Not sure about being part of proteus, they could be as the enclosure looks the same. I know CEF stock them as seen M2 metal boards in my local CEF. I like the twin screw terminal for the main switch, Although personally I wouldn't install one in my house as I would prefer to go for a more established make like hager. Over the years we've all seen different makes spring up and disappear leaving you in the Shyt if an RCD or mcb needs replacing or even adding a new circuit on a spare way and can't get hold of an mcb as the manufacturer isn't in business anymore. For a few extra £ hager is the best bet IMO as they actually look like they have put some thought into it with the cable entry points and cable clamp for the tails etc.

M2 is a CEF off shoot.
I personally prefer Hager.
I was in a house last week with a older Hager unit installed. I was able to easily fit the new Hager MCB's I have in the van to the 20 year old consumer unit
This is why I prefer Hager, they tend to make their gear backwards compatible, it is also a decent quality.

M2 is a CEF off shoot.
I personally prefer Hager.
I was in a house last week with a older Hager unit installed. I was able to easily fit the new Hager MCB's I have in the van to the 20 year old consumer unit
This is why I prefer Hager, they tend to make their gear backwards compatible, it is also a decent quality.
that is the biggest problem with Schneider gear.

ok i have a schneider board. i need a b6 mcb which one do i choose.

it could be sqaure d,merlin or a new Schneider breaker etc.

good to know about hager, thanks for that

I remember when 17th edition boards first came out and the only 17th ed boards my local Cef stocked were m2. I fitted one at my parents and when I powered up it was showing reverse polarity. Ends up the internal links were wrong thus putting out reverse polarity. Also the mcb's were crap and the plastic cracked when tightened! Never again!!

I'm going to order the Hager unit myself for the electrician since it seems he's getting ripped off or he is charging more for this M2. just to confirm that these rcbo's are the right ones for domestic. These will be replacing two light circuits fuses, 6A B, two finals 32 B and cooker on 32A B

Unit is Hag114 VML114
Rcbo's Hag ADN106, ADN132

Gil-lec is best for prices on all these

there are more than one type of isobar just to add to the confusion and the breakers look different (they still fit)

then there is easy9 and another series as well but i cant remember the name

They are on isobar4 now but they are all backwards compatible as far as I know, which is also the same as the previous (v good) MK sentry range as they were rebadged MG breakers.

They are on isobar4 now but they are all backwards compatible as far as I know, which is also the same as the previous (v good) MK sentry range as they were rebadged MG breakers.

Not sure... I recently had dealings with a new Acti9 DB. The Acti9 branded MCBs fitted fine but Schneider branded C60 MCBs didn't seem to want to. I didn't confirm it with Schneider however.

The easy 9 boards look quite nice once fitted. However, there isn't much room inside them for dressing cables and the internal design might as well have been designed by a small child. Why would you have a main switch on the right hand side of the board with the left terminal for the neutral and the right terminal for the live is beyond me. I wonder if their amendment 3 will be any better.

Last edited:
I'm going to order the Hager unit myself for the electrician since it seems he's getting ripped off or he is charging more for this M2. just to confirm that these rcbo's are the right ones for domestic. These will be replacing two light circuits fuses, 6A B, two finals 32 B and cooker on 32A B

Unit is Hag114 VML114
Rcbo's Hag ADN106, ADN132

Gil-lec is best for prices on all these
Remember the board will only have a main switch in it no circuit breakers so there will be a lot of blanks to cover up..
The RCBO's are OK for domestic use.

Reply to Which consumer units are best in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net