Discuss Which Test Kit is Best and Why in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Which Test Kit Do You Use???

• Total voters
Yeah, I'm going to get trained to use the thing...

Like learning to drive though, it's handy to have your own car to practice with...

Hi there

Good for you! I didn't mean any offence, just making sure you were clear on that, I have found some folk think they can do it after reading the book. BTW, you got a damn good car(whoops Tester)

No offence ever taken by me mate!

I'm definitely going to need all the help I can get from the tutors! My new toy has just been delivered. The 4 page "manual" is bewildering to say the least! Will have a look at the proper manual on the CD when I'm a bit more awake!

Last edited:
Hi Friends!!!!!

Fluke Volt Sticks and a continuity tester are the best one's for quick fault finding. Also are the safe ones, which can be tried at no risk.

Been using a Megger MFT1553 for the last 3-4 years, my gaffer arrived at the job last thursday and swopped it over for a new Fluke 1654b. So far I'm quite impressed, love the case, room for some hand tools, not sure I could actually stand on it, as the youtube video suggests, though. User instructions come on a cd rom, which I had no access to at the time, but a half hour fiddling with buttons got me going.

I've got the Ethos mft great features. I was going for smegger or the Flukies but the price put me off.
they do the job just as good as the popular brands

Hi just starting out and starting to build up equipment as I train. I can't figure out if I need a voltage tester eg fluke t100 series, multimeter eg fluke 115, voltage indicator eg martindale type with proving unit and something with a clamp like a fluke t5. Or will one or two cover all bases? Mainly referring to one brand for ease of comparison . Sorry if I have gone off topic

I don't think you are off topic, The Flint. The Fluke T100 is my most used piece of test equipment. There are other brands that are just as good, though. It does two really important things - voltage test to see if you have a live circuit or not and continuity test. Strictly speaking you should use it alongside a proving device but look at other threads for more debate about that! I went for the basic T100 as it gets used a lot and bashed about in the tool bag. If I want other measurements I go for the multimeter (its a great and inexpensive CEM DT-61 from Amazon), or a clamp meter (I chose the Di-Log DL6507 as it does earth leakage which can help with RCD tripping faults). It is important to know that these are my choices based on what I feel is useful for the work that I am doing and that there are others that have equally good choices that suit their work.

Ok I have a voltage indicator and proving unit. Now to decide if I need a multimeter and something like a fluke t5 or megger 320. Look to have the same features as a multimeter but also can measure current via clamp/ clamp like device. Are they to limited or in reality is V/ resist/ current / continuity enough? What will the. Multimeter offer me extra feature wise ? I appreciate will need a multitester in due course but trying to get smaller things for now.

I think Megger 1734 is good one. It is multifunctional tester. Its most special features are Heavy duty,Rain and dust proof to IP54. Some of the other features are
• CAT IV safety device
• Continues functionality if; connected across phases, the wrong range is selected or connected to live circuits.
• Test buttons at both ends
• Colour coded selection knobs
• Large brightly lit display
• Carry case with space for extra equipment

I guess the voting options on this thread might be a bit out of date, it's 3 years old nearly so I assume there's newer testers on the market now.

I still use separate testers, I've never owned a 16/17th edition multifunction type tester.

Obviously Megger MFT 1553..
This multifunction tester with Bluetooth communications is the ultimate solution for every electrician who completes electrical test certificates. It's a fast test system designed for electricians who want to certify installations whilst on the job, and therefore get paid earlier which is an extra bonus. This test kit combines both the Megger MFT 1553 multifunction tester with bluetooth downloading and the Megger Powersuite On-Site software package. The Megger 1553 has the same features as the Megger 1552 but with Bluetooth downloading capability.

Reply to Which Test Kit is Best and Why in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net