Discuss Which Test Kit is Best and Why in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Which Test Kit Do You Use???

• Total voters
finally arrived after 6 week wait. to be fair test-meter.co.uk phoned me on friday and said they had a MFT1730 (not on-site) that I could have but i would have to wait for software and earth spike kit to arrive. TT systems are everywhere where I live so I opted to wait and it was only 4 days more. gonna have a play with it over the weekend but 1st impressions are that it is well thought out and looks very sturdy. job I'm working on at mo is at stage where there are no circuits to test as its all been ripped out. gonna evaluate it at home 1st​

I'm still getting the hang of it, not sure if I'm being thick, but I can't seem to get a fast EL test. Where the 1552/3 had the fast trip and slow no trip EL, the 1730 seems to all be slow no trip tests.

Hi all

Ive been weighing up the pro's and cons of getting a new mft for a long time but putting it off, I am heavily swayed towards the megger 1730 though at this point in time.
It would be my first mft, and in an ideal world I'd have a set of seperates like the mtk320 set for fault finding and general use, and then for full installations/periodic the mft for ease of use & speed instead of changing meter's & lead sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used Meggers for years, Now trying fluke 1563B, with the software (when I get around to setting it up), and for general use a socket & see, and sign off with the Fluke

Interesting. The vast majority of testers at college / test centre were Fluke, but most on here seem to prefer Megger, or even separates. I guess a lot of it is down to personal preference, providing if course, the unit can fulfil all the necessary daily tasks.

what is the difference between the mft 1553 and the mft 1730?And is the fluke 1654b any better?
Can any one help me out here with the answer.

what is the difference between the mft 1553 and the mft 1730?And is the fluke 1654b any better?
Can any one help me out here with the answer.

Not sure which is better but fluke currently have a cracking offer on the 1654b

If you buy the 1654 and laser measure for £699 + VAT before December 31st( Fluke Complete Installation Kit . Fluke 1654B + Fluke 411D And Claim Your Free Kit. Buy online or call ) fluke will give you a 2AC volt pen, extra leads, DMS software and a choice of clamp meter or multimetre.

You can sell what you don't need bringing the price right down

I have a Fluke 1654B. Great tester, easy to use, lightweight with good leads. I also got a spare Socket and See tester kit from ebay for £150, it has three individual testers for the various tests, a good set of leads, needs calibrating, cost of £30 a tester. Really easy to use and also a good bit of kit.

i'm really glad to see you have a fluke, sad to see you have a socket and see fluke are good those little socket testers are cr4p and, save your money, they cannot be calibrated. they also do not give accurate, reliable readings, see other posts on this forum

Hi ive got the new megger mft 1720. Ive had it for a few months and to be honest its got problems!!! When carrying out Zs loop impeadance on low current no tip. It still trips some makes of rcd/rcbo! I phoned megger and was told to swap the leads/polarity in the tester lol so i phoned and spoke to a top guy at megger and he said yes they have a problem and will prob recall testers. Worked out ok cause im gonna get a free upgrade to the more expensive mft1730 :)

Cheers

I was only going to use socket and see as back up in case of fluke failure, but so far so good as fluke is working out fine. It was close between fluke and megger though, both appear to be good bits of kit. Will let you know if I have issues with S & S kit

Hi DNs1
I hope you take a proper course on inspection and testing or get proper training the user manual just tells you how to use the thing

It's a bit like learning to drive you wouldn't buy a car and learn to drive from reading the manual would you?

Yeah, I'm going to get trained to use the thing...

Like learning to drive though, it's handy to have your own car to practice with...

Reply to Which Test Kit is Best and Why in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net