Discuss Which Test Kit is Best and Why in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Which Test Kit Do You Use???

• Total voters
Hi, found this forum while researching testers. I'm about to set up on my own and want to buy my first tester. I'm undecided between the Fluke 1653b or if it's worth paying the extra for the 1654b? Or to get the Megger 1553?

I know people who have Fluke and Megger mft's and they like them. I went for a Kewtech KT65 and like it. It's a comprehensive bit of kit and seems intuitive to use. If you follow GS38 you'd narrow your search down to fused leads only but I don't know how many do that.

Cheers, last place I worked for had separate units, place before that I had a Fluke (I think 1653) which I got on with ok. I would prefer an all in one unit. I have had a go with a Megger which seemed good, hence if I'm having to buy one myself wanting to make sure I do it right first time. I'm sencing there's not a lot between Fluke or Megger other than brand loyalty. Thing is, if I get a Fluke will the 1653 do? Is it worth the extra near on £100 for the 1654? I'm thinking (actually praying I get work more like) that I will be using it for domestic, commercial/industrial, periodics in those also.

Good luck mate
I have used both they are both good I have a megger 1552 and used a megger 1552 and the fluke 1653b I am bias and prefer my megger like the look of the new meggers especially 1720 and 1730
but i have heard some negative reports of the bluetooth function and on site software but again only from word of mouth
the megger 1552 is easy to use and reliable
but its down to you mate as for the 1654 didnt know there was one lol

they are all good mate and will do the job if not you get a 3 yrs manufacturer with megger so you can always send it back

as for the fused test leads with the megger it has in built 500mA fuse so not needed in the leads but I think you can get some fused test leads for the megger

I didn't know about the Megger 1700 range! How do these differ to say the 1552/3? Where ever I have worked they have just given me a tester and I got on with it. Now I have to buy my own, I don't want to spend £600 and find it's not good enough as well as I don't want to spend a grand fir all the bells and whistles and never have to blow half the whistles, so to speak. If I'm honest it's frying my tiny fragile mind!

Look at the forum sponser test meter.co.uk on the right hand side at the top
the new range has test buttons on both sides and i think they have a 2 lead full Zs test that wont trip the RCD if one installed unlike the 1552 which has a no trip function using 3 lead
and the forum sponse gives 5% off to members like you but there are others just do a search in google and find the cheapest price mate

a 1552 does everything you need but you have to fill certs in by yourself lol unlike the fangled 1553 with on site and bluetooth mate

this is good enough or the fluke 1553b I am not clued up on flukes only used 1 for the 2391 practical and it was different from my megger but I must have used it ok as I passed lol

Last edited:
Cheers groove, the 1720/30 does look good, the 20 looks like it'll do the job, but the 30 has the rechargeable batteries, but the difference between them would buy a lot of batteries. So I think i have narrowed it down to either Megger 1720 or Fluke 1653, (I think lol)

I recently got a brand new Fluke 1653B, and it is an awesome piece of kit. A little bit of time spent getting used to the features and alteration of settings etc as it was a bit confusing at first but now I find it easy to use with clear and easy to understand results and features.

Is there a way to make this into a poll? we could see overall results and might influence future purchase

-megger
-fluke
-robin
-b&q £6 multimeter

I can add a poll to the thread if you guys want......would you like just the brand names or individual make & model types???

I ended up buying the Megger 1730 from test-meter with the 5% discount, talked with them over the phone, very nice and helpfull guys :)
have you phoned up to get an estimated delivery date? I've been waiting for mine since 16th may. they called on Friday to say they could send me a 1730 but I'd have to wait for the software and earth spike kit. where I live most houses have TT systems so I need the earth spike kit. they reckon it'll be with me on Thursday. here's hoping as I start a full rewire on Wednesday and plasterer is doing his bit as soon as I've first fixed and tested each zone. there are 7 circuits in all.

I found a job testing in the end so cancelled the 1730, the job supplied one so worked out well! I just started so trying to get to grips with it, its a bit different to the 1552 I had used previously.Oh when I ordered, delivery was 2-3 weeks.

Reply to Which Test Kit is Best and Why in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net