Discuss Which Test Kit is Best and Why in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Which Test Kit Do You Use???

• Total voters
i love my MFT 1553 it is so easy to test trip times for rcds, put it on auto and away you go. but i dont think you can do a 2wire (2 lead) test for zs with incorporating an an rcd. but the MEGGER LT320 you can do.

hi,i dont want to hijack this thread but the question is related, in the near future i will be using the mft 1553 with the on-site software and was wondering what mobile device i should be looking at purchasing,thanks.

I think the megger 1553 is a good choice, I have the 1552 which is easy to use with the rcd autotest function.

I picked one up brand new on ebay for £420.00

The difference between the 1552 and the 1553 is that the 1553 has the bluetooth function which lets you send the data and test results to you pc at the touch of a button.

if you not bothered about the bluetooth like me then head towards the 1552

Hello all and thanks for your comments. I am in the market for an mft and it seems that "no one gets sacked for buying a megger" (to misquote an IBM slogan). However, I have been shown a Kewtech KT65 and it looked easy to use and has a couple of extra features - eg. free software and optional earth spike kit. They haven't wasted money on making it look pretty, either! Who has experience of it or, failing that, an opinion?

While I'm at it does anyone find much use for DC current readings on a clamp meter?

After testing today with my Megger 1552, i'm thinking down the lines of stay away.

The fact that testing on the no trip loop settings adds an extra 0.02-0.05 ohms to your Zs value against calculated. But then on the lighting I get a measure Zs of 1.34 ohms, when the R1 R2 was 1.67 ohms??? WTF!

Time for a change I think.

So Ze is -0.33? Sounds improbable to say the least. Is this just a calibration issue or a wobbly on the part of the 1552? I was talking to a guy today who likes his Fluke despite it having "issues".

Thats what i mean, it doesn't add up, literally.

Testers has to be fine as if i measure again on another ring or socket radial the readings are as the previous test.

Its in for calibration in a week or two so hopefully this will show any probs.

Well, thinking about it a bit more, your Zs is less than Ze+R1+R2 which should be normal due to other possible earth paths. So, is it so much less that you feel uncomfortable about the result?

Wouldn't have thought that the bonding would have created a paralel path s both gas and water are run into the property in plastic.

What throws me is why it is only when testing lighting circuits that i get odd results.

I can't help you on that but we'll get told off if we continue the discussion on this thread!

I go back to my original question - is there any reason not to go for a Kewtech KT65?

Morning Any feedback on the seaward supernova elite as I am thinking of buying one, it's a bit expensive, can someone tell me why is it so expensive and is there a cheaper option with the same features hope you can help cheers paul

Morning Any feedback on the seaward supernova elite as I am thinking of buying one, it's a bit expensive, can someone tell me why is it so expensive and is there a cheaper option with the same features hope you can help cheers paul

Hi oobie,
Welcome to the forum! The Supernova Elite is a very good tester, it's one of the most comprehensive testers available. Mainly designed for 110V it has a transformer built in. That means you can supply the tester with 230V and still perform a 110V load/run test and vise versa, ideal for working on construction sites. If you don't need the 110V or flash functionality I'd recommend going for the Supernova's little brother: Seaward Europa Plus there are lots of other cheaper options available, it all depends on what you need the tester to do. If you want some advice or would like to discuss your requirements further please give us a call and we'd be more than happy to help. 0113 248 9966

Reply to Which Test Kit is Best and Why in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net