Discuss Why bother with Part P ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bwm730

-
Reaction score
Had a call from a customer who wanted a couple of extra sockets installed in her kitchen. Explained to her over the phone that these would need RCD protecting,etc and she informed me that she had a new consumer unit installed 18 months ago when a disabled bathroom was installed downstairs. Went there this morning and inspected the consumer unit and noticed there was no bonding to the Gas or Water. Asked her who installed it and she explained that the Bathroom was installed by a Council sub-contractor ( she had a grant from the council towards the cost ) who subbed the electrical work to a local electrician. She hadn't received any electrical certificates but had received a completion of works certificate for the bathroom from Building Control. Upon reading the BC schedule it stated an NICEIC cert was required for the electrical work. Spoke to the local NICEIC electrician and asked him why no bonding had been installed, his reply was that is wasn't on his schedule of works. Politely informed him that it was a requirement of the current regs , especially if a new CU was installed and he then replied that he couldn't remember this job.
So basically the customer has paid for the complete job, building control has signed it off, no certificates and no bonding. Part P strikes again. Why do i bother renewing my membership every year ?

If the customer phones NIC, they should ask him to rectify the work to 7671, as well as supply EIC.
I think that most of us feel this way mate...Every job is rectifying some cock-up that nobody wants to know about...

The whole issue with Part P is thatthey like taking out money and inspecting us once per year but as soon as a customer complains they won't get involved.

The schemes acting on such shoddy work would make their positions rather more positive IF they did, but they don't.

I wonder how many aren't now renewing now Part P has changed???

The whole issue with Part P is thatthey like taking out money and inspecting us once per year but as soon as a customer complains they won't get involved.

The schemes acting on such shoddy work would make their positions rather more positive IF they did, but they don't.

That just about sums it up in a Nutshell as to what all these Part Pee scheme providers actually ''provide''!!! Money for nothing, except a logo sticker to stick on the van....

Just a couple of points here.
Firstly is bonding definately required?....are they plastic incomers?
Secondly are you certain there has been no EIC issued?....as the electrician was subbing to a main contractor it may be that the cert was issued to the contractor to be forwarded to B/C and to occupier and never was.

At my assessment last month I asked the guy this very question. He said that membership is increasing faster than predicted.... No wonder I keep seeing new vans in my area. There is definitely a lot less work about for me now than there was last year.

He said that membership is increasing faster than predicted....

he's lying through his teeth.
information freely available in the public domain shows membership numbers for competent person schemes have been at their lowest level since the introduction of part p.
why do you think the nic & eca clubbed together to form the utterly pointless elecsafe register ?
it was because they knew this years reduction in notifiable jobs would mean alot of the defined / limited scope installers wouldnt need their memberships anymore and quit.
in other words , a desperate attempt at shoring up numbers.
less work being available is simply down to seasonal & economic variations from homeowners willing , or not , to spend money on their properties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you may be right about the membership numbers nationally. What I can assure you of though, is that firms are sprouting up like weeds in my area as people jump on the "lucrative" band wagon. Wonder how many will be here a year from now...

well they havent done their homework very well Guitarist , domestic work is anything but lucrative in an already flooded marketplace if my experiences are anything to go by..

Bonding is required as both incomers are copper and no EIC was issued. Got an update from my customer today, the main contractor sent their own electrician in this morning ( they no longer sub ) to carry out a complete EIC and Earth bonding to Water & Gas. Better late than never i suppose.

information freely available in the public domain shows membership numbers for competent person schemes have been at their lowest level since the introduction of part p.

If that's the case, how are all the Electrical Trainee and 17 day whizz kids, being churned out by the numerous private training centres, able to conduct any domestic electrical work??

If that's the case, how are all the Electrical Trainee and 17 day whizz kids, being churned out by the numerous private training centres, able to conduct any domestic electrical work??

Looking at the relaxed Part P as to what is notifiable, you could operate as a 'Domestic Maintenance Electrician' ( ! :) ) quite legally, without having to sign your life away.

Looking at the relaxed Part P as to what is notifiable, you could operate as a 'Domestic Maintenance Electrician' ( ! :) ) quite legally, without having to sign your life away.

Maintenance to me generally means ''Fault Finding'', ....Sod that, these guy's have trouble with simple installations!! Letting them loose on fault finding and you really are pushing the boat out too far!! lol!! :!blank: :eek:mg_smile:

Maintenance to me generally means ''Fault Finding'', ....Sod that, these guy's have trouble with simple installations!! Letting them loose on fault finding and you really are pushing the boat out too far!! lol!! :!blank: :eek:mg_smile:

I have to agree there. I spent years training in industrial fault-finding, so not a problem, but I've lost track of the number of times a customer has said to me "we had another electrician out, but he said he didn't have a clue why it was tripping out". Most of the wire-pullers I follow don't have a clue how to apply fault-finding techniques.

i know loads of people installin that are not part P registered.....and have no intention of doing so...
but the amount of folk going round carrying out works (notifyable or not) who have no real knowledge of what requirements are and regs etc is startling to say the least....

As long as you don't want to do rewires, CU changes, new circuits or work in bathrooms.

Or you could advertise as a Handyman/plumber/builder doing electrical work. That way you can do everything and just pretend Part P, training and qualifications don't exist. That's what seems to happen a lot where I live anyway...

Reply to Why bother with Part P ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net