Discuss Why bother with Part P ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

At my assessment last month I asked the guy this very question. He said that membership is increasing faster than predicted.... No wonder I keep seeing new vans in my area. There is definitely a lot less work about for me now than there was last year.

Im not surprised that membership is increasing.... you can become a domestic installer in about 4 weeks from scratch

doesn't surprise me. came across a job where the gas main came in through a sinle storey attic above a utility room. BG took a 10mm from the MET, up into this attic, then instead of clamping it within 600mm of the point of entry, they chucked it outside and draped it 15ft.down and across the outside wall to the external meter. not even a clip in sight.

can't understand it, surely all the BG guys have passed the part p qualification , alongside the sales training. :24:

I have one for you, completed a 4kw solar install, went to check bonding, gas was there but no main water bond, the stop cock was in a little boiler room full of copper pipe within touching distance, rang contractor who completed the rewire a month earlier and said because the incoming pipe into the house was plastic it was not required! Wtf! Is copper which is a conductor and could become live! Sparky came back after I explained the situation. 50 year old bloke who has been trading 25 years! Joke

1. is that copper pipe extraneous? 2. it's probably bonded to the gas through the boiler. a little more info would help. and we're not concerned about the copper pipe becoming "live". the concern is that it could have an earth potential.

still a `little knowlege can be dangerous` scenareo though isn`t it...
i honestly dont see a difference

You know that I am one of those very much against quick training courses Glen, but more and more I'm seeing other trades offering an "all-in-one" service which doesn't involve any testing or paperwork at all. At least the Electrical Trainee's own an MFT!!! ;)

I keep finding gas meters with no bonding and the invariable reply is"Well,its an new meter fitted by the Gas Board so it should be alright."

And when you explain that it's required, you get that look from the customer which says you're touting for work. Invariably Dave gets the job, who tells them it's fine as it is, and you get a reputation for "finding work that doesn't need doing". Makes me bloody mad to be honest!

You know that I am one of those very much against quick training courses Glen, but more and more I'm seeing other trades offering an "all-in-one" service which doesn't involve any testing or paperwork at all. At least the Electrical Trainee's own an MFT!!! ;)
well...it depends...
i was at a place the other day where it was a new kitchen ring installed by someone...
there was supposed to be a new down ring as well.....but a quick check behind some points said otherwise....
well, i dont doubt he`d done the work but it was old colours he`d used...
further more there was no `2 different versions` sticker at origin. This same circuit was being fed by 2 seperate 32Bs...a non-conformance.
the boiler he had wired was not earthed....again a non-conformance
The chap whoos property it was said this guy had just dissappeared off the map...
he was watching what i was doing and happened to notice the DMM lying next to my MFT...
`oh, thats the thing that the guy was testing with` he said pointing to the digital multimeter
hmm...

1. is that copper pipe extraneous? 2. it's probably bonded to the gas through the boiler. a little more info would help. and we're not concerned about the copper pipe becoming "live". the concern is that it could have an earth potential.
exactly Tel....its all about limiting potential differences is bonding....

multi meters have there place.

in the bottom of the bag for quick test e.g. continuity between fuses or checking if isolators are fubar etc
but not for initial verification of finals....like this fella was using it for....
for a start they generally only go to one DP for ohms....
not the min requirement of 2DP is it....

Reply to Why bother with Part P ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net