Discuss Wish me luck in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mine was 35 in a 30mph limit

Are you serious???? 5mph over the speed limit and you've got to do a course at a cost of 90 quid?

I got caught earlier this year doing 180 in an 80 zone. No points but the ticket cost was about 100 quid. I paid it early enough to qualify for the 50% discount so it wasn't too bad.

Are you serious???? 5mph over the speed limit and you've got to do a course at a cost of 90 quid?

I got caught earlier this year doing 180 in an 80 zone. No points but the ticket cost was about 100 quid. I paid it early enough to qualify for the 50% discount so it wasn't too bad.
Yeah we got something over here called health and safety. All you guys need to go and have a chat with a few traffic cops who have to deal with the consequences of idiots speeding every day. The law is the law, you either stick to it or pay the consequences. Just man up, pay up and shut up, simple.

Yeah we got something over here called health and safety. All you guys need to go and have a chat with a few traffic cops who have to deal with the consequences of idiots speeding every day. The law is the law, you either stick to it or pay the consequences. Just man up, pay up and shut up, simple.

Health and safety has nothing to do with it. This is quite simply the law, a clearly defined line dividing what is legal from what is not.

By driving faster than the speed limit I broke the law, therefore I will suffer due punishment as prescribed by the law.

Health and safety is an entirely different piece of legislation

Health and safety has nothing to do with it. This is quite simply the law, a clearly defined line dividing what is legal from what is not.

By driving faster than the speed limit I broke the law, therefore I will suffer due punishment as prescribed by the law.

Yeah whatever Dave, its all part of the same thing. That extra 6mph can make the difference between some innocent person living or dying, especially in a 30mph zone. Like you say, just own up and pay up, and, you apart in this, stop making out you have been hard done to.

Yes, he is serious. In this country the law is very clear, the speed limit is defined clearly and in breaking that limit one breaks the law. There is of course a tolerance to allow for the inaccuracy of vehicle speedometers (I believe it is set at 10% currently)

Okay, I consider myself chastised.:6: I did pay up and promptly as well.

The road I was on was 120 limit but it dropped to 80 for a few hundred meters where there was an exit into a picnic spot. I let off the accelerator and managed to slow down maybe 20kph but it obviously wasn't enough. Last time I went past there was no camera or maybe someone had put a few 9mm rounds through it so I was quite surprised when I saw the flash. :28:

Yes, he is serious. In this country the law is very clear, the speed limit is defined clearly and in breaking that limit one breaks the law. There is of course a tolerance to allow for the inaccuracy of vehicle speedometers (I believe it is set at 10% currently)
It never ceases to amaze me how much the UK has changed. When I was at Uni in the UK I went to a vodka promotion night at the SU bar. One thing led to another and I ended up vomiting inside my motorcycle helmet and falling off on the way back home. The policemen that helped me cleaned me down, gave me a lift home in the back of their van, put me to bed and one of them even rode my bike back for me. The next day I went to the station, thanked them and gave them a gift-wrapped bottle for their trouble. This was in the days when driving licenses had hard covers and no photos.

The law is made up by people though, and people often get things wrong.
For example I had to do my speed awareness course because I got caught doing 60 on a dual carriageway. Yes the national speed limit is 70 on a dual carriageway, yes half a mile along the same road the speed limit was 70, yes 2 years previously the speed limit where I was caught was 70, but it had been reduced to 50.

OK I was caught breaking the rules, but if it's 'right' for that bit of road to have a 50mph speed limit then the previous limit was wrong, ie the law was wrong.

Okay, I consider myself chastised.:6: I did pay up and promptly as well.

The road I was on was 120 limit but it dropped to 80 for a few hundred meters where there was an exit into a picnic spot. I let off the accelerator and managed to slow down maybe 20kph but it obviously wasn't enough. Last time I went past there was no camera or maybe someone had put a few 9mm rounds through it so I was quite surprised when I saw the flash. :28:
A picnic spot, like, one of those places where there might be kids and so on. 180 was it? in an 80 zone?? Just kin think about it for christs sake.

For example I had to do my speed awareness course because I got caught doing 60 on a dual carriageway. Yes the national speed limit is 70 on a dual carriageway, yes half a mile along the same road the speed limit was 70, yes 2 years previously the speed limit where I was caught was 70, but it had been reduced to 50.

OK I was caught breaking the rules, but if it's 'right' for that bit of road to have a 50mph speed limit then the previous limit was wrong, ie the law was wrong.
LOL, you counldn't make it up! The law is wrong eh, couldn't possibly be you that was wrong then??

It is not universally 70mph, the speed limit is different for vans, LGVs, HGVs, vehicles with trailers etc etc.

A picnic spot, like, one of those places where there might be kids and so on. 180 was it? in an 80 zone?? Just kin think about it for christs sake.
No kids, it was 2 in the morning. The roads here aren't like the roads in the UK.

N7.jpg

OK Pete you are a respected Sparks. But 30mph is set for a reason, its a maximum, it's set for a reason. There are plenty of "cash cams" set up to collect extra revenue, but if its in a 30mph zone then just admit its irresponsible and learn the lesson matey.

Crikey, you mind you don't fall off that high horse you are sitting on Matey.

2005 i got caught by a camera 34mph in a 30 mph stretch of road. no speed awareness course offerd.£95 and 3 points. i was driving a subaru sumo. in mitigation i did plead that the wind was behind me.

Last edited:
Crikey, you mind you don't fall off that high horse you are sitting on Matey.
I try not to it generally hurts. When you use 2 wheels as well, you tend to keep it down in 30 mph zones, there are plenty of folks about who think its OK to do all sorts of stupid things!

Reply to Wish me luck in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net