Discuss 13A plug on a new 3.65 kW oven? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We have a new Hotpoint oven to install SI4 854 PIX. Old oven was 2.8kW Neff hard wired into dedicated circuit with its own breaker switch on wall. However, new oven, with pyrolytic cleaner, is 3.65 kW, rated but comes with 13Amp plug and lighter gauge wiring. I was going to plug in myself but clearly I need a sparky to convert hard wired socket to plug socket. However, in any case, this seems wrong - surely this requires 16A fuse and heavier duty wiring?

33672D9C-27D9-41D4-AD90-43D1754932F8.jpeg
Data sheet says max current 13A. Where did the 3.65kW come from?

We have a new Hotpoint oven to install SI4 854 PIX. Old oven was 2.8kW Neff hard wired into dedicated circuit with its own breaker switch on wall. However, new oven, with pyrolytic cleaner, is 3.65 kW, rated but comes with 13Amp plug and lighter gauge wiring. I was going to plug in myself but clearly I need a sparky to convert hard wired socket to plug socket. However, in any case, this seems wrong - surely this requires 16A fuse and heavier duty wiring?
The 13 Amp fuse is there to protect the cable not the cooker circuit.
Your cooker/oven should have a breaker in the CU.

We have a new Hotpoint oven to install SI4 854 PIX. Old oven was 2.8kW Neff hard wired into dedicated circuit with its own breaker switch on wall. However, new oven, with pyrolytic cleaner, is 3.65 kW, rated but comes with 13Amp plug and lighter gauge wiring. I was going to plug in myself but clearly I need a sparky to convert hard wired socket to plug socket. However, in any case, this seems wrong - surely this requires 16A fuse and heavier duty wiring?[/QUOT
When i say cable ,i mean the cooker cable.

As @LeeH has pointed out. I can't find 3.65kW in any of the specs.

It may well be 3.65kW total. This usually consists of a fan element and a grill element, which cannot be used at the the same time, hence the 13A rating.

As @LeeH has pointed out. I can't find 3.65kW in any of the specs.

I suspect that figure comes from the rating label on the appliance. Seems all these manufactures don't want to get involved in the cabling for these appliances 'if in doubt, speak to a qualified electrician'!

All instructions now days seem to be obviously vague.

View attachment 41256 Data sheet says max current 13A. Where did the 3.65kW come from?
3.65kW is on label on packaging and also on sticker inside oven.

I have meanwhile phoned Hotpoint and although the support phone people were agreeable they knew nothing. They did however contact their tech people who replied, as another forum response indicated, that 3.65 kW is total load from all oven functions, but since this is an impossible scenario 3.65kW is never drawn at ay one time, and so 13A is fine. So seems all ok. BUT, I have to wonder ... what's the purpose of the 3.65kW rating? Surely a max possible kW would be more useful?

Thanks anyways guys. Will get a pro to convert to plug socket for me :)

I have meanwhile phoned Hotpoint and although the support phone people were agreeable they knew nothing. They did however contact their tech people who replied, as another forum response indicated, that 3.65 kW is total load from all oven functions, but since this is an impossible scenario 3.65kW is never drawn at ay one time, and so 13A is fine. So seems all ok. BUT, I have to wonder ... what's the purpose of the 3.65kW rating? Surely a max possible kW would be more useful?

Think you may have been fobbed off

The Rating plate should indicate what the power of the cooker is, to say it was on the packing, may be true, but the plate should have indicated that as well.

convert the cooker outlet to a BS1363 socket. plug it in, switch on as much as you can ( on the oven ) and clamp the line cable off the MCB. (and see if the plug top gets hot. :eek:).

I suspect, I might be wrong, that CE or EU or Brexit regulations require total load of an appliance, you've probably chucked out the numerous energy level/product data sheets and other completely useless documents that accompany appliances, such as these. In your case, as Andy stated, you can't turn everything at the same time. My old range cooker, had a lower rating, managed on a bit of 1.5mm flex and took 12hrs to cook the Sunday Roast.

Why have I been fobbed off?

See you've been two timing us with another forum :rolleyes:

Think that's all you'll get from a manufacturer, not bad advice?

I might be minded to do what Murdoch suggested, if the manufacturers allows, cut off plug & connect to the existing cooker outlet.

Reply to 13A plug on a new 3.65 kW oven? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net