Discuss Adding an extra light fitting and switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Right Mr "know it all"

We work to BS7671:2008 amendment 1 2011 at present.

So as long as your work complies with the following regs it will be fine to do

Chapter 13
Table 41.1
One of the following tables 41.2,41.3 or 41.4
maybe section 411.5
Section 41.2
Probably 514.1.1
scetion 522
Section 531
Section 533
Read all of chapter 54
Section 559
Chapter 61
Chapter 63
Appendices 3,4,6,7,12.

Once you have satisified all the above what you are doing will be fine. Happy to help :)

Thanks most of you guys for the answering my original question, which is all i asked for. But as always on forums you get the wanna be mouthy know it all's like Wade88 and Mark123 who know how to run a wire from A to B.
Yes im doing a bit of DIY is that a issue.
I have 17 years experience as an engineer and yes that’s a proper engineer i.e. chartered status. IMechE. I spent 4 years as an apprentice in the automotive industry and 3 years working for the Military. I now work as a research, design engineer for ESA compiling sophisticated satellite systems. So don’t tell me it’s something is cant do. Unlike Wade88 and Mark123 i unfortunately didn’t do the 3 week multiple choice questionnaire and wiring a plug test and checking with a multi-meter test. No i spent 11 years part time at college and university to get my qualifications. You think you know about all things electrical. Tell me what cross torque voltage creepage is. I don’t think so.

So like i said, all im doing is the most simplest bit of work ive ever carried out. Adding 4 wires, a switch and a light fitting. Sorry to Mark123 and Wade88 if this is classed as a big job to you. But i know you have to justify why you charge what you do and take more than a week to do it.

Nuff said

Even thou you still will insist of slagging people off who didnt do the 3 week multiple choice course to make them certified :)

If it is so easy why come here asking, your 17 years experience doesn't impress me, and you won't need to change the light using a jack as you would changing a tyre, however having said this I tend to agree with wirepuller on this occassion that this Job is easy enough for most, What you would have got from me was the job done right and a certificate and 12 month warrenty plus the works guarenteed through my insurance and all for 50-60 quid I suspect, anyhow, do the job yourself and just be careful, Happy new year.

what 3 week multiple choice test is this. wish someone told me. i could have saved loads of time and effort and money etc etc.
seriously though a few people getting upset on here, deep breath and calm.
brock you cant hold it against people advising you to get the qualified people in to do the job, after all its their industry and livelyhood they need to look after.

peace everyone.

Just wanted to ask if i needed to get the work tested and certified. As an easy option, rather than paging through lots of regulatory documnets to get the right answer. carrying out the work is a doddle.
thought somebody on here might be of some use, which some have been others are just being the usual muppets that they are.

We pay over ÂŁ70 for the BGB, I spent 4 days at college at my own expense losing ÂŁ200 a day. The course cost over ÂŁ200 thats over ÂŁ1000 it cost me and you want all the information for free!!! Jog on.

I apologise Brock for being a little facetious.

I have no problem as wirepuller has mentioned with people doing their own DIY. In fact, and im sorry Mark as i completely agree with your point of view also, i cant see the problem with it. People own their own homes, why should they not alter it as they see fit. I miss understood your original post as being some numpty who was just trying to blag some advice on how to wire a switch in, which obviously isnt a good idea if you have no idea what your doing, and then further mocking the industry by suggesting its a rip off to have the work done professionally.

But if your such an over qualified smart arse who apparently is next in line to ride a satellite into space along with 3 gerbils and a autistic reindeer, why are you on this forum asking if you can wire your switch in without getting slapped on the wrist? Surely you would have just done it or sensibly rang your LABC..... OR, for fear of being reminded how incredibly intelligent you are, didnt you just buy a copy of the regs or GN3 and just carry on being a clever clogs in peace

he was just asking a legal question about regulations, doesnt mean he cant wire a light.

there's more to it than the legal question that was being queried. what about loading of the circuit, provision of rcd's + testing & certification for the job? shouldn't these things be accounted for?

So like i said, all im doing is the most simplest bit of work ive ever carried out. Adding 4 wires, a switch and a light fitting. .

If it thats easy do you have to ask someone how to do everthing?

And breath in, breath out breath in, breath out ,breath in, breath out ,breath in, breath out ,breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out

Thanks most of you guys for the answering my original question, which is all i asked for. But as always on forums you get the wanna be mouthy know it all's like Wade88 and Mark123 who know how to run a wire from A to B.
Yes im doing a bit of DIY is that a issue.
I have 17 years experience as an engineer and yes that’s a proper engineer i.e. chartered status. IMechE. I spent 4 years as an apprentice in the automotive industry and 3 years working for the Military. I now work as a research, design engineer for ESA compiling sophisticated satellite systems. So don’t tell me it’s something is cant do. Unlike Wade88 and Mark123 i unfortunately didn’t do the 3 week multiple choice questionnaire and wiring a plug test and checking with a multi-meter test. No i spent 11 years part time at college and university to get my qualifications. You think you know about all things electrical. Tell me what cross torque voltage creepage is. I don’t think so.

So like i said, all im doing is the most simplest bit of work ive ever carried out. Adding 4 wires, a switch and a light fitting. Sorry to Mark123 and Wade88 if this is classed as a big job to you. But i know you have to justify why you charge what you do and take more than a week to do it.

Nuff said

Even thou you still will insist of slagging people off who didnt do the 3 week multiple choice course to make them certified :)

Im a time served spark actually, so before you go insulting people's intelligence get your facts correct. If you knew what you were doing, and you were as clever as you're making out...why an earth are you asking such a basic question on an electricians forum?

Sigh, you're gonna run yourself outta work wirepuller if you keep advising people to do their own electrics...lights can be wired different ways, then the customer rings you up because its not switching on or off...just get the job done properly in the first place!

If you're changing a plug, or even a faceplate for a light switch / socket if you're completley sure that its dead then fine diy, if it involves wiring don't. Sorry to hear that you've seen a diy'er death.

And to be fair, if my vans got a problem i just send it to the garage - yes we're in an economic downturn but i still don't find it acceptable to cut corners. Building a shelf isn't like medalling with gas or electrics. I honestly can't see your reasoning to think that its actually acceptable wirepuller, i just cant. It all goes on and theres nothing we can do to stop it granted, but to promote it IMO i think is wrong.

Fair enough....Lets just agree to disagree:)

Im a time served spark actually, so before you go insulting people's intelligence get your facts correct. If you knew what you were doing, and you were as clever as you're making out...why an earth are you asking such a basic question on an electricians forum?

Hi Guys and you advise.

Im adding an additional light fitting and switch to a new downstairs toilet.

Can you tell me if this work needs to be certified and if so where it states that this needs to be certified as im struggling to fine a source for this information.

I have read official goverment guidlines that state for small minor alterations, nothing is required, then on the other hand some say a cirtifate is required.

All im doing is adding a couple of wires.

Cheers

It's not a basic question....it would be if he was asking how to do it....but he's not,like most of Joepublic he's completely confused by the dogs dinner that is part P.

Guys we all have different views but lets all keep it civil.

I think the OP did ask a fair question on this occassion, and didn't say anything wrong. However when he started to Brag how easy everything is and how Brilliant he is my interest Flagged a bit, we are now at each others throats again, even more evidence how fed up we all are with everything these days haha, chin up fellas, Chin up.

I think Brock has got the answers he needs.
If your adding cable to a circuit, your altering the characteristics of that circuit, and if your adding cable you should be testing R2 or R1+R2, insulation resistance and Zs and putting them on at least a MWC, it's plain as the nose in your face , if there is a basin in the room then it's a special location and needs notifying , we don't all play by the rules, but the above is what I would do

I think the OP did ask a fair question on this occassion, and didn't say anything wrong. However when he started to Brag how easy everything is and how Brilliant he is my interest Flagged a bit, we are now at each others throats again, even more evidence how fed up we all are with everything these days haha, chin up fellas, Chin up.

Good points MJD.....I'm chilled,will be very chilled shortly as I'm off to Eastbourne sea fishing now.:sifone:

My opinion for what it's worth. I have read these forum posts for a lot of months now, and it has always been enjoyable and informative. However, as time goes on the replies are getting less and less helpful and more and more offensive, which is a shame. I know there are a lot of stupid questions lately, but don't forget, the people who ask some of these questions know nothing of part-P, special locations, etc. Anyone having a problem will search on the internet, and quite often stumble across sites like this.

Questions from plumbers are not welcome, questions from people who do 'Electrical Trainee' don't seem to be welcome any more. As soon as DIY is mentioned, then certain people just go off on one. Do you want to make it that no-one other than fully qualified sparks can fit plugs, change bulbs, move a switch/light fitting? It ain't going to happen.

I suggest that unless you are happy to receive posts from non-qualifieid electricians, then you make it that people have to sign up and prove their qualifications before they can post. Careful though, I've seen some of qualified guys ask questions that I would have thought should be known already.

As I've said before, if one of you guys asked a question on a car repairs forum/PC forum, etc., you wouldn't expect an offensive answer, even if you asked what they though was a silly question.

Think I've gone on enough now! My opinion only, feel free to shoot me down for this. :) Daz

DPG if the comment about DIY is having a dig at me....then heres my opinion on it, and my opinion only - as i found out today, electricians have different views on things lol.

I see it perfectlly acceptable to change a bulb, change a light fitting, change light / socket covers if you're a DIY'er.

My issue is when you have to put a fresh wire in, i think this should be left to the professionals.

DPG if the comment about DIY is having a dig at me....then heres my opinion on it, and my opinion only - as i found out today, electricians have different views on things lol.

I see it perfectlly acceptable to change a bulb, change a light fitting, change light / socket covers if you're a DIY'er.

My issue is when you have to put a fresh wire in, i think this should be left to the professionals.

Not aimed at you, no. Daz

Reply to Adding an extra light fitting and switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net