Discuss AFDD EICR - unsatisfactory report landlord in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Attached is the quote the company sent me for the works which seems very high. I asked for the cheapest way possible to bring it to regulations

Quite unprofessional to quote for the fitting of Wylex protective devices in a Hager board. Either they're lax with paperwork or would have introduced an additional non-compliance to be picked up on subsequent EICRs.

Quite unprofessional to quote for the fitting of Wylex protective devices in a Hager board. Either they're lax with paperwork or would have introduced an additional non-compliance to be picked up on subsequent EICRs.
That was my first reaction. Then I spotted "new consumer unit" so wondered if they were intending to change the lot.
It's sad that people earn a living by misleading people, ripping people off, and mis-using legislation intended to simply ensure things are safe for tenants.
Equally, great the OP fought back and got this sorted. A nice change for one of these threads to end up with a good result.

Having just been doing some surfing on Hager stuff, it seems that rather annoyingly their AFDD MCB's are double width, whereas their AFDD RCBO's are single. So anyone with a split board that needs modifying is totally stuffed unless you happen to have a load of spare ways and an installer with the skills and spares kit to modify it around.
They have bought out single module AFDDs now:

They have bought out single module AFDDs now:

Its a dual RCD board, so putting in the AFDD/RCBO modules would really need another busbar segment so they are not off one of the RCDs.

Hager do an AFDD add-on for MCB, etc, that make double width if you needed arc-detection without residual current. I can't see many cases where that would be likely!

Its a dual RCD board, so putting in the AFDD/RCBO modules would really need another busbar segment so they are not off one of the RCDs.
Personally, I would fit them on the RCD anyway, unless the customer particularly wanted them off it (and was happy to pay for it). Not ideal, but 2 RCDs in series, both in the same location, not a problem IMO

Personally, I would fit them on the RCD anyway, unless the customer particularly wanted them off it (and was happy to pay for it). Not ideal, but 2 RCDs in series, both in the same location, not a problem IMO
Agreed, it is not dangerous, just not great "design" as you still have the risk of accumulated leakage tripping the RCD in spite of having coughed ÂŁ120 or so per AFDD.

I don't know the Hager commercial boards well so don't know if you could just get a new section of busbar and extend the main switch L for the AFDD. As single-module they should fit after removing the MCBs, just the practicality of shuffling along and having the non-RCD bus to feed them.

Reply to AFDD EICR - unsatisfactory report landlord in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net