Discuss capping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

and much of this is now in metal studding, so 522.6.103 applies.

SO whats the verdict ? Better to earth the capping or not ?

Since we like to get involved in IFs and BUTs around here, its perfectly reasonable to expect a cable to be sliced or damaged by capping during installation occasionally....When I have guys working with me how am I to know exactly how they have installed things ?

Id rather have it earthed than walk away from a job leaving someones wall live , with no way of knowing till you touch it !

And to confirm, Im well aware capping is NOT mechanical protection.

Bonkers.

The simple solution if you are determined to use capping to aide in the installation of cables/protect them from the plasterers trowel is to use plastic capping! Metal capping is a silly idea IMHO.

I do use plastic where possible but for longer chases with more cables Ill use metal purely as its easier and quicker in this situation as its more ridged.

So is the consensus that I should stop earth metal capping ? Is this acceptable and do the majority of folk do this ?

Agree with Mr. Skelton. Seems mad to earth all capping when you could just use plastic. Daz

The simple solution if you are determined to use capping to aide in the installation of cables/protect them from the plasterers trowel is to use plastic capping! Metal capping is a silly idea IMHO.

Thought you were in favour of the silly metal capping and earthing regime.

Plastic is ok until the cold weather sets in and it cracks when trying to cut it and fix it.

personally I think twin and earth clipped in a bare raggle looks pretty rough....yes it complies with regs but I just think it looks a bit DIY. Capping is much neater job.

Tel had this topic nailed 2 days ago, post 59! :)
Easier, rewireable, ...
+1 here.

Attachments

• OvalTube.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 59
Most domestic jobs entail dot and dab ? .....not where Im from.

I think you will find on new builds it is. Obviously not possible on rewires, which seems to be the brunt of your business

personally I think twin and earth clipped in a bare raggle looks pretty rough....yes it complies with regs but I just think it looks a bit DIY. Capping is much neater job.

Once it's plastered over, can't see what difference it makes how it's installed as long as it complies with BS7671

on domestics i use pvc oval tube for 2 reasons.

1. clips are plugged and screwed. no chance of bashing your left mitt with the hammer.

2. if some numpty does drill/nail a cable, it's easy to rewire the drop. also, on switch drops, as long as the tube is big enough, it.s easty to draw in another cable when customer decides they want another set of lights fitting.

on domestics i use pvc oval tube for 2 reasons.

1. clips are plugged and screwed. no chance of bashing your left mitt with the hammer.

2. if some numpty does drill/nail a cable, it's easy to rewire the drop. also, on switch drops, as long as the tube is big enough, it.s easty to draw in another cable when customer decides they want another set of lights fitting.

Unless they leave the nail in

You could realistically say the same for SWA cable that's been imbedded in a wall or whatever. The SWA isn't going to stop a nail either, but it doesn't require RCD protection!!

Apart form the fact that if you smash a nail into a live conductor on a swa, your breakers going to trip, where as if you smash a nail into the live side of some T&E covered by metal capping, **** all is going to happen. (RCD's aside)

Reply to capping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net