Discuss Certificate to check earth arrangements.. ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jaxo

The town I live in has been getting old metallic water pipes replaced with plastic, the water board has issued everyone with letters recommending "that you have your electrical earthing arrangements checked as it is possible, particularly for older properties with metallic service pipes that the pipe is used as a means of earthing for some or all of the electrical installation."

What I`m wondering is what way would you check this and what certificate if any would you issue for checking the earthing arrangements.

Would you simply check the supply's earth or electrode and recommend an EICR if its due or would you check the whole earthing arrangements and issue a certificate.. If so Would you use an EICR and state it covers the earthing arrangements only, a minor works or could you even use use own letterheaded letter to say the earthing arrangements has been checked etc.

Obviously the best thing to do would be a periodic on the whole installation, but Ive been getting a few calls about this with people just wanting the "earth checked".. and I`m just wondering what way others would go about this..

also I think I would start by agreeing to do the job... dont how i could manage to jump from a phone call to be doing a ze test in someones house lol.. :prrr:

If certification was necessary then this is good but do you really need to issue a cert for checking the earthing arrangement?
Of course not but why not issue a proper report in the EICR format? It's less likely to get put away in that special safe place that no one ever finds again

Reply to Certificate to check earth arrangements.. ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net