Discuss Changes to FIT coming sooner that we thought! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

We cant possibly install and commission the systems we have booked in five weeks and it begs the question, have we left ourselves open to law suits from those customers we have contracts with? (our terms and conditions, benefit calcs did not allow for this)

My guess is a good number of installers could end up in legal disputes with those customers whose systems aren't installed and the paperwork completed by the 8th December( if correct).

Here's my pathetic attempt to at least occupy their thoughts for a second! Sent to a selection of MP's in my area. Won't do the slightest bit of good though me thinks

Dear Local MP

The imminent excessive cut to the Solar PV FIT scheme compels me to voice my disgust at the government and all associated in this short sighted cost saving.

If the tariff is halved as leaked recently on a bona fide website, solar PV will end in this country. This is obviously very serious to an individual such as myself considering the costs to both my finances and time. To summarise this:

6 months to achieve MCS – having to implement a quality management system and meeting all government selection criteria
1 month to compile a business plan and financial forecast to try and secure a cashflow injection in these times of austerity
Countless hours and lots of money creating:
brand image
marketing
website
stationery
contracts
risk assessments
method statements
terms and conditions
guarantees

In addition to this I have had to:
source reliable suppliers, scaffolders, roofers
register for CIS, VAT, and secure monthly returns
source a bookkeeper
source an accountant
source a structural engineer
purchase lots of equipment
fund training

These are just the main points. I have worked almost all hours for the last year to set up a successful business.

I don’t expect you or whoever reads this to feel any empathy, and you will probably be completely unaffected. I suggest you take heart in the satisfaction you will put many small (and larger) businesses on the scrap heap. If you dare to let your mind wander, take a moment to reflect the implications of this cull. If you possess any moral fibre whatsoever, this email will occupy your thoughts for quite sometime. If not, then that tells a story.

One last point, historically governments have emerged from recession by backing new industries. Solar PV is currently one of the few buoyant industries in the UK. What does ending it tell the public about your ability to guide us through these tough economic times???

We cant possibly install and commission the systems we have booked in five weeks and it begs the question, have we left ourselves open to law suits from those customers we have contracts with? (our terms and conditions, benefit calcs did not allow for this)

My guess is a good number of installers could end up in legal disputes with those customers whose systems aren't installed and the paperwork completed by the 8th December( if correct).

I thought this too as I have 5 or possibly 6 systems to install, which with my original electrical contracting side of the business was going to be hard before xmas.
Im thinking of giving all deposits back, closing the solar PV side and stick to my electrical contracting! I dont think I will be the only on either. I wait to here this statement tommorow a 3.00pm

Congratulations Mr Cameron

I thought this too as I have 5 or possibly 6 systems to install, which with my original electrical contracting side of the business was going to be hard before xmas.
Im thinking of giving all deposits back, closing the solar PV side and stick to my electrical contracting! I dont think I will be the only on either. I wait to here this statement tommorow a 3.00pm

Congratulations Mr Cameron

Dale I would hold fire on that mate, if you already have accreditation with REAL MCS etc then ride the storm out and take stock before all these have to be renewed. I'm sure there are going to be some dealing done by these organisations who are also in danger of being affected by the cuts.

As your already trading as an electrical contractor for now it is another string to your bow and who knows what will happen in the fore coming months.

In fact I think you lads that are general contractors as well as PV could be in a very good place

Something else to tell your MP:

Centrica (British Gas) pay out more to their top six executive directors in salaries and benefits than they pay out in Feed in Tariff payments to all their customers.

I also have emailed my mp and left a message on their voicemail at their office. What with the quantitative easing doing no good shove it into pv which works.

I feel some of the big guns of the solar industry need to be contacting their legal guys Monday and looking at all the legalities including taking our government to European courts regarding this.

We pay good money to MCS, REAL and others where is their represention, protection and support to their members.

Well at least I can take the small profits I have made from solar and diversify into the wind farm industry as per Barker's advice! Ha ha.. Typical conservatives, what's the odds on Barker having a few mates in the wind industry as well as the energy industry! Wait for them to say they inherited the fit's from the labour gov! Maybe but I have been telling customers all year that the2008 energy act came in with cross party support, if they didn't agree with it they could have slashed it straight away! Basically we are all victims of our own success and entrenpeneurship by Dropping prices so much that the customers are getting too good a return which has obviously raised a few eyebrows. This industry could return in a year or so once the dust have settled, Chinese manufactures re already producing panels at less than 70p per watt which is set to decrease further. When it returns I hope the entry levels for installers are much higher to protect it from the gold rushers! I fel like sh...t!! And might cry a little in the next few weeks! Thanks Greg!

Anybody that feels strongly enough about it try tweeting @ChrisHuhne and @GregBarkerMP

I was asked to use tag #solarfit in all tweets to see if we can get trending. Worth a shot.

just been announced on @gregBrkerMP tweet that an announcement will be posted on the DECC website by 10am Hmmmmm! keep em peeled! but its only his proposals so nothing confirmed!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Changes to FIT coming sooner that we thought! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net