Discuss Changes to FIT coming sooner that we thought! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Look what happens when the tories get in power. Cuts followed by social breakdown.

The only response to that comment

Look what happened with Labour in power a "boom" in unaffordable and unsustainable spending and trying to hold inflation at 2% with only one tool in the box to use, interest rates. What followed the lending spending boom was the not so "independent" bank of England at the behest of Gordon B making the repayments so expensive the "bust" was inevitable with the resulting social breakdown as people lost their homes and investments. Unfortunately the resulting medicine is not so popular

Why are interest rates relevant to FiT payback? Low interest rates are a just another bonus for irresponsible insolvent banks so why should we suffer again and again for their mistakes?

If interest rates were higher would people choose to invest in PV after all investment is all about the rate of return on the money invested

The question I want to ask those involved was the the FIT rate set high to attract customers to invest in a technology that promises a return over 25 years but has no record or history to make an informed decision on the investment risk. All the publicity and advertising I have seen seems to indicate a fit and forget needs no maintenance system that will last 25 years with usually a 10 year warranty. What in warranty costs, out of warranty costs and equipment longevity can people expect over the expected 25 year life of the system that they are investing in to actually gauge the rate of return. As with all technology it will evolve and improve it will become more efficient and also become cheaper so if repairs are needed will it be an expensive repair and upgrade to an older system if newer panels are not compatible. After 25 years will the PV system still work and be viable or is it then redundant and costs incurred to rip it out

While I appreciate the investment people have made to be part of Solar PV this and other governments have a history with new initiatives you only have to look at HIPS what if Part P disappeared.

Sorry for being somewhat negative but this is my analysis and thoughts on the PV investment

Last edited:
I'll be trying to get everyone through by December 1st - I don't want any excuses about FIT applications being lost in the post etc.

Ive heard on the grapevine that the actual tariff they wanted to put it down to was 9p. Off the record comments I have heard from others have been that they wouldn't be surprised if it went down to this by this time next year.

Series530, very eloquently put, and I agree with 99% of it. Clearly the current situation couldn't continue (and I talk as a 'lucky' customer like you), but the potential damage is being done by the severity of the proposed cuts and the much earlier date. Will this remove the bottom-feeders/double-glazing types? Some of them no doubt. But it'll also harm the genuine installers out there, many of whom are only just dipping their toes into this expensive business - all the expensive outlay, with little prospect of a decent return.

As BiggsSolar, says, I'd love to know where they get their figures from - if they'd had any genuine contact with what was happening on the ground, they could have eased this dramatic change so it wouldn't be as potentially harmful to everyone. Even if that had meant a smaller reduction in FIT a few months back.

But this "Oh sh*t - the money's running out - cut deep and make it sharpish..." reaction is just pitiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like there is no point in me investing the rest of my training- once my few potential customers hear of this there is no way they will fork out the money. Its bloody pathetic, typical of this country, my friend in France even received a grant for her system plus her 43p in euros. Looks like its a life of housebashing for me after all.

Perhaps.
But there is a catch with recorded delivery and similar services.
If there is no-one available to sign, or they refuse to sign then the letter will not be delivered.
In England, the courts normally hold that something sent by first class post can be considered delivered the next day.
So first class plus proof of posting can be slightly more useful if trying to deliver documents in say a small claims court situation.
Perhaps the same might apply to delivering FIT applications....?
Regards
Bruce

Looking longer term, did anyone else noticed in the EST doc about fits being tied to energy efficiency i.e. C rated properties and above to get the upper tier, does that mean barn/field systems attract the lower rate whatever that may be?

There is still a massive amount of info missing on the EST doc, as has been pointed out >4kW 18x225W and your potentially onto 37.1p/kWhr, this can be hooked up to a SMA3800V and still work well.

I now have customers taking risks on planning and G59 connections to head off the changes, mounting temp installs on the ground before fitting to roofs later just to get on the higher FIT. Im having cash thrown at me to install and have taken orders for 7 systems today alone, 3 of which will be ground mounted untill I have time to book scafolding and aford the time to get it done right.

Nooooooooooo, i have had my first install on tuesday that wont get inspected untill january for my accreditation, dont know what to do-tell the client what?? He's put his trust in me for this :(

Personally Id get it signed off by another installer and cancel your inspection while you can. Im sure plenty here would do it for you.

Personally Id get it signed off by another installer and cancel your inspection while you can. Im sure plenty here would do it for you.

Does the FiT certificate need to be sent with an invoice to your energy supplier?
Is so, would they need to come from the same company?

I'm also in a predicament in that the guy I work for and I both completed our C&G2399 this past week and were due to carry out a 4kWp install on my house as a first install in readiness for an MCS assessment from Elecsa who also we're also with for Part P. It seems Elecsa are running at 4-6 weeks for an assessment so an install for me isn't looking too likely now :(

If the labour were still in power im sure they would of sorted something better out than the torries do ... they would sell there own mother if they had too ... all they do is make the rich richer and sell everthing off including the NHS services if they had the chance ... i think this goverment get off giving contracts abroad making fat cats richer ... this country has gone to the dogs .... And no im not a labour man but hate the torries with passion ...

My annual assesment is a month late, still havent had a letter with a renewal date, so it does give me the option to jump ship after next months installs are completed, I applied for planning to convert my own flat roof garage to a pitched one last month, I was then going to fit PV, I can see me having to rig this up and register it and take the chance i'll get planning, its a bit naughty but worth the risk.

If the labour were still in power im sure they would of sorted something better out than the torries do
Errr, who was in power before, during and after the banking fiasco. And who, as usual, brought the country into so much debt?

I agree though the current revision of FiT scheme is a complete shambles, but one where I suspect the blame lies as much with the whitehall machinery (sclerotic processes and not always that engaged bureaucrats, too many of which were employed in roles of questionable benefit - see above) than ministers, who in reality have much less control than people imagine. It must be like trying to helm a super tanker - takes miles before anyone realises the captain's changed and he's asked the ship to move to the right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at maybe asking customers if they mind waiting until mid-December for their hand-over pack. As long as the certificate is handed over then there should be no issue. I wouldn't like to think that installers that plan on packing MCS in will forgo this important aspect of an install - it's not the customer's fault that the government are stitching us up.

I have today cancelled all my advertising, 2 jobs booked for late November and layed off 2 subbies.

I intend to mothball the company until early next year and then review whats left of the industry.

I will now plough my time and money into expanding my existing successful electrical business, I am SO upset at the way this has panned out and really feel for the guys who have spent out and are awaiting assessment, as mentioned what do you say to your customers???

Absolute disaster for some, including my staff.

I have just spent the last hour reading all the posts. I found out about the December 8th date from a customer who read it in the Times today. I know its still speculation but I have that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I wanted to end this with something encouraging and uplifting........ but I can't think of anything.

Still its good to know you have brothers to share your grief with.

Reply to Changes to FIT coming sooner that we thought! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net