Discuss Consumer Unit Changes - What make & what price? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markthespark

Hello hope everyone is well.

I was wondering how much you guys charge for a Consumer Unit change and test.

The company i used to work for used to charge around £450+vat.

Ive googled a few prices and some people are doing them for as little as £250.

Im looking at starting my prices at around £325 not including bonding.

£75 for fully loaded Wylex board.

£15 for new tails, new earth block and labeling etc.

So that leaves £235 profit minus 20% tax which leaves £188 profit.

Which isnt bad but i still think its quite a cheap price. But with the recession are customers willing to pay anymore?

Does anyone claw back profit on the materials by using cheaper boards, ive seen BG boards fully loaded for £50.

Are they any good?

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello hope everyone is well.

I was wondering how much you guys charge for a Consumer Unit change and test.

The company i used to work for used to charge around £450+vat.

Ive googled a few prices and some people are doing them for as little as £250.

Im looking at starting my prices at around £325 not including bonding.

£75 for fully loaded Wylex board.

£15 for new tails, new earth block and labeling etc.

So that leaves £235 profit minus 20% tax which leaves £188 profit.

Which isnt bad but i still think its quite a cheap price. But with the recession are customers willing to pay anymore?

Does anyone claw back profit on the materials by using cheaper boards, ive seen BG boards fully loaded for £50.

Are they any good?

Cheers.

£400 all in but your up against the spark with no work and only wants £100 to do the same as you

I normally charge £300 for supplying and installing a 10way Daul RCD CU ( Wylex, Contactum, Schneider (all about £80 fully loaded)) including 1 metre 25mm tails. If its part of a rewire then £250. People even question this price until i explain that it's a days work including testing and certificating.

Out of that £188, you then have to take out your part p annual subscription, then your notification fee, then your public liability insurances, then the cost of the fuel to get your to and from the job, then the general running costs of your van / car, road tax, insurance, time travelling to the wholesales. Then things like allowing for your meter calibration. When you have complete the job, time taken writing out the certificate and posting /emailing.

Not to mention advertising and the fact you wont get every job you quote on, so time and travelling costs to be allowed for work you don't even get....

£350 is about the right price, but don't think you'll end up with £188 profit.

Yeah bout £350 for me.
If you're working local, 200+days a year, then I find the expense of running the business, after materials is about 5k, a lot of which is vehicle running cost, which most people in other jobs have to pay out of their taxed salary anyway. So a ton a week, which doesnt hurt too bad if you aim to make £200 a day minimum for labour.

One reason i've knocked driving miles to do jobs on the head. Stay local now and still get the work.

BG CUs are as good as any other budget brand CU, used a few and not had any problems so far.

A local company has been advertising in the local paper for the past few weeks. Rewires from £1000, board swaps from £100. £100 !!!!! tested, certed and notified ? He can't be making anything, even if his £100 is for a 4 way board with no bonding.

I use Crabtree CU's as you haven't got to drop out the entire bus bar to add a CB in the future. Also means the bus bar is 90% insulated in it's own right.
Inc the vat most customers get away with £300-£350 for the entire job. I always state, 'cheaper materials are availible if required' on the estimate for the scrooges out there.

A local company has been advertising in the local paper for the past few weeks. Rewires from £1000, board swaps from £100. £100 !!!!! tested, certed and notified ? He can't be making anything, even if his £100 is for a 4 way board with no bonding.

I can change boards for £100 as long as its a garage board with one socket and one light! And I can rewire said garage for £1000 as well if the customer wants to pay me that much.

I usually charge around £350 for 10 way wylex, sometimes less if it's an easy one, bonding usually included unless its major so around £100 mats, £250 profit, usually an easy day and finished early afternoon unless hit problems with testing, normally have some small bits to do on way home to top up the days money.
On a pre job survey you can usually tell if the jobs gonna be a DIY nightmare or not and I try to avoid these ones or price accordingly

I have a standard charge of £450 for a CU swap, which includes tails etc. Also allows for testing and for any unforseen faults to be found and rectified (within reason), and certification.
We are based in north west London, i would imagine that location will be a big factor on prices.

Reply to Consumer Unit Changes - What make & what price? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net