Discuss Consumer Unit Changes - What make & what price? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have a standard charge of £450 for a CU swap, which includes tails etc. Also allows for testing and for any unforseen faults to be found and rectified (within reason), and certification.
We are based in north west London, i would imagine that location will be a big factor on prices.

^^^I am located in essex but now and then when i get the odd cu change in london i think this would be a more realistic figure yes, i think london pricing has a rule of its own for me, normal price x at least 35% for traffic/travelling time/parking/parking tickets/wheel clamps/congestion zone and all the other general ball-aches that go with a days work up there! lol

Problem i find is as soon as i mention the test on top ie £200 for board change then say £80 for eicr i have effectively lost the job as so many people will just do a board change without the test.

Up here in Liverpool its a nightmare pricing for work atm, i quoted a guy £35 for an additional socket the other day and he told me to you know what it was 10 miles away, socket, back box, cable, fuel, labour...

board changes are a minefield, i HAVE to convince the customer to get the test done, its got that bad i done a few free tests serious just to cover myself, there is no way in this world i would get £300 plus for a board change and i only fit square d as i can em fully loaded from theelectricalwarehouse for £65, great site btw for boards

Last edited by a moderator:
No wonder your loosing jobs pricing for a cu change then an additional eicr, a customer just wants one price, you need to have a good survey before hand, then go on your instincts and findings,I accept the fact that mostly they will go ok and I'll win and sometimes I will find issues and maybe some minor fault rectification will be required, but I can usually tell what the installs gonna be like after having a good look for additions, cpc's on lighting and a 250v ins res between N and earth

what certification do you issue following a board change? serious question i always try to carry out eicr at same time as board change, i am new to running my own business btw so would really appreciate help!!

And eic with no test results

http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/best_practice/BPG6_09.pdf

The initial approach of the contractor planning the
replacement of a consumer unit should be to
encourage the customer to have a periodic
inspection and test of the installation carried out in
advance of the consumer unit being replaced.

Hello hope everyone is well.

I was wondering how much you guys charge for a Consumer Unit change and test.

The company i used to work for used to charge around £450+vat.

Ive googled a few prices and some people are doing them for as little as £250.

Im looking at starting my prices at around £325 not including bonding.

£75 for fully loaded Wylex board.

£15 for new tails, new earth block and labeling etc.

So that leaves £235 profit minus 20% tax which leaves £188 profit.
minus insurance
minus part p registration/LABC notification
minus fuel/van tax/wear and tear
minus outlay on tools/repair/wear......

Which isnt bad but i still think its quite a cheap price. But with the recession are customers willing to pay anymore?

Does anyone claw back profit on the materials by using cheaper boards, ive seen BG boards fully loaded

Are they any good?

Cheers.

Do the EICR as part of the board change, just tell em the price is £350, if they ask what you are doing and what is taking so long and why everything has to be unplugged just explain the tests that have to be carried out as part of the testing process that is part of the upgrade

I just do a quick pre-test, how much pre-testing depends on the installation as the previous posters have said, you can usually tell early on if you are going to have problems.

I don't a full blown recorded EICR though, unless the client specfically ask for this (chargeable).

Some of the testing can be done during the change, although I always do a Ze test prior to starting any work at all, not just on CU changes, (usually at the survey stage).

The EIC covers everything, no need to provide a seperate EICR unless it is specifically requested.

There is a sticky on the forum about this subject here:

http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...ctrical-regulations/12971-cu-changes-you.html

what certification do you issue following a board change? serious question i always try to carry out eicr at same time as board change, i am new to running my own business btw so would really appreciate help!!

And eic with no test results

http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/best_practice/BPG6_09.pdf

The initial approach of the contractor planning the
replacement of a consumer unit should be to
encourage the customer to have a periodic
inspection and test of the installation carried out in
advance of the consumer unit being replaced.

In a perfect world every customer would want this done and pay for it but the real world ain't like that, plus with an eicr as well you are taking on a load more paperwork too, just test all the circuits your reconnecting before/after the board change as this is required as you are effectively changing the protective device for each circuit(usually) when I quote for a job a have a written quote and in small print at the bottom I have some thing like this

'quotation includes full test, inspection and certification of stated works plus remedial work of any minor faults, however on discovery of any unforeseen major problems further remedial works may need to be undertaken before a satisfactory certificate can be issued, these may incurr an additional cost to the customer.

It's just to cover yourself, I have not needed to go down this route so far, and have been self employed since 2004, just do a good survey beforehand!

I Charge 2 hours to change the board ( maybe a bit more if its in a right pig of place) then half hour per curcuit to test after not had any complaints , must admit i use wylex DBs find them hastle free

I'm based in Wigan and i usually charge £300-350 for a CU swap. Usually thats a 10way dual RCD MK board as they're well priced and i find them easy to install along with tails and main earth.
Bonding to water and gas would be more and dependent on length of cable runs and install method which is normally agreed with client prior to start of work.
I budget a full day for a CU swap to make sure i've got time to fix any little niggles.

I always offer an EICR (PIR) before a board change as you're supposed to. Anyone who wants it done without i'll still complete but explain that its a possibility if i find any potentially dangerous conditions i won't reconnect/energise that circuit until remedial works have been completed. I find people in general just want the board changed and so take the risk on me not connecting a circuit. Thankfully I've only had 3 i can think of where this has been the case and after I've explained and shown them whats wrong they've agreed the remedials.

I've lost out on work offering the EICR before the change in the past as people are so aware these days of cowboys they think you're trying to pull a fast one and get more money out of them. And of course there's always bodgit and scarper from the pub who've said you shouldn't pay more than £100 for the swap and they offer "to do it for a pint pal"

I think in the current economic climate its hard to price jobs based on you earning a decent wage but competing with the other "registered" sparks who don't give any paper work. The public need more education on whats required from all trades after works completed so they can recognise good quality workmen from billy bodgit.

I read a lot on these posts about £--- for a CU change that does not include earthing so tell me if you are part P or registered how do you get away with not earthing the gas & water

I charge £250 supply and install + Travel (£0.45 per mile)

Supply only costs £75 max

Install Profit £175 - all insurance, NAPIT, Notification, etc

Might go upto £300 in the next month or so - we will see

Extra if:
extending cables
Bonding
Tails more than 500mm

Just seen this:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My Pricing :[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]House re-wire from[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]£ 1500[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Replacement fusebox from[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]£ 200[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Additional sockets from[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]£ 30[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Outside lights from[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]£ 60[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No obligation inspection and test from[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]£ 60[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Free advice and estimates[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DIY work checked - I work with you, as well as for you[/FONT]​

This is a company near me

Not sure how they make their money! or about the check DIY work - sparky does not work for LABC

Just seen this:
My Pricing :

House re-wire from

£ 1500

Replacement fusebox from

£ 200

Additional sockets from

£ 30

Outside lights from

£ 60

No obligation inspection and test from

£ 60

Free advice and estimates
DIY work checked - I work with you, as well as for you

This is a company near me

Not sure how they make their money! or about the check DIY work - sparky does not work for LABC

I would be very wary of the word "from"

I do CU installs "from £150" but that would be a new 2 way CU and henley block!!

I read a lot on these posts about £--- for a CU change that does not include earthing so tell me if you are part P or registered how do you get away with not earthing the gas & water

I'm with ELECSA and regulaly have customers where I've changed the consumer unit, tested and found no earth bonding to water or gas or both. Obviously then we inform the customer straight away but if they don't want to pay you the money to do it then you can't force them! I've had some sucess giving out Electrical Safety Council leaflets on earthing and bonding to try and make the customer understand but sometimes they just won't stump up to have it done. I know in a perfect world we would survey first and make them aware prior to the consumer unit but you run the risk of them thinking you are fishing for extra's. (I blame the cowboy builder programs)
No bonding gets noted on installation certificate and if we don't return to book it they get a follow up letter with said ESC leaflet. My ELECSA assessor seems fine with all this.
You can take a horse to water.........

I'm with ELECSA and regulaly have customers where I've changed the consumer unit, tested and found no earth bonding to water or gas or both. Obviously then we inform the customer straight away but if they don't want to pay you the money to do it then you can't force them! I've had some sucess giving out Electrical Safety Council leaflets on earthing and bonding to try and make the customer understand but sometimes they just won't stump up to have it done. I know in a perfect world we would survey first and make them aware prior to the consumer unit but you run the risk of them thinking you are fishing for extra's. (I blame the cowboy builder programs)
No bonding gets noted on installation certificate and if we don't return to book it they get a follow up letter with said ESC leaflet. My ELECSA assessor seems fine with all this.
You can take a horse to water.........

Whilst I agree in part, my estimates show the bonding as an "extra" and I've explained to the client that they are required as part of the visit prior to doing the estimate.

I do how ever wonder why the ESC encourages us to add bonding for even the smallest change and allows every tom, dick and harry to buy/install in perfect ignorance.

Whilst I agree in part, my estimates show the bonding as an "extra" and I've explained to the client that they are required as part of the visit prior to doing the estimate.

I do how ever wonder why the ESC encourages us to add bonding for even the smallest change and allows every tom, dick and harry to buy/install in perfect ignorance.

Totally agree Murdoch when you survey the job thats when you find that there is no earth going to either gas or water or both and always draw their attention to this but to do the job and then tell them or worse hold this information back well thats just plain wrong plus with assesors they seem to make it up as they go along

What I find is a good way of dealing with customers with no earth bonding is tell them you have an obligation to issue them with a Electrical Danger Notice and a copy must go to the LA Public Safety Department.

They usually tell you to crack on with it.

Personally that is the first thing I check

NO BONDING - NO STARTING WORK!

What I find is a good way of dealing with customers with no earth bonding is tell them you have an obligation to issue them with a Electrical Danger Notice and a copy must go to the LA Public Safety Department.

They usually tell you to crack on with it.

Personally that is the first thing I check

NO BONDING - NO STARTING WORK!

Hence why I ask how can you put in a CU as you are obliged to highlight it plus Schemies should not be telling their members to send a get out of jail letter reminding them it needs done after the fact

Reply to Consumer Unit Changes - What make & what price? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net