Discuss Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

What about a designated circuit for appliances like the American style fridge freezers, that are notorious for tripping rcd's. If surface mounted in trunking or cables buried more than 50mm in the wall then it is not required to be rcd protected. A high integrity board allows such configuration.

Is it not surface mounted on walls in metal trunking (or metal conduit or sheathing) only, without RCD?

edit; and buried more than 50mm or skill or instructed person

I charge at £12 per hour for tracing unmarked circuits and faults

Arrive at job 8am, done and cleaned up by 9am, testing till 12pm, onto the next job, simples

I have a image in my head of everyone being the typical tradesman, tea drinking and paper reading, come on lets be honest how long does it take to change a DB and test the install?

Am i the only one who has the "Graft" idea?

And after all the age old saying go's "Stack em high, sell em cheap", the referrals i get from customers who were pleased with the work i carried out and the price is excellent, TBF i dont have a lot of overheads and im not greedy just pleased that i actually have some work

EDIT: and for anyone thinking " i bet the DB's are a mess "

View attachment 8475

nice DB bit of excess copper showing on manufacturers nuetral connection though hope your not rushing

A decent tradesman is not trying to rip people off. But lets be realistic, we deserve a decent wage for the training and constant refreshing.
No Job is the same, but lads.... lets not be cutting each others throats to make ends meet.
The electrical industry is one of the strongest in the world according to the latest stats.
Dont cheapen yourself and your trade. stand together .

A decent tradesman is not trying to rip people off. But lets be realistic, we deserve a decent wage for the training and constant refreshing.
No Job is the same, but lads.... lets not be cutting each others throats to make ends meet.
The electrical industry is one of the strongest in the world according to the latest stats.
Dont cheapen yourself and your trade. stand together .
try telling the poles etc

try telling the poles etc

I think that statement is a bit harsh considering a lot of Polish are very good tradesmen and work to high standards. I hate it when everyone tars every bad tradesmen as a "Pole" ... Remember there are eastern european people from several countries working here. There are exceptions to every rule I know, and I also know that they (eastern europeans) tend to work for less and do undermine our levels of pay etc.

I say this as a son of a Polish immigrant from WW2 (I didn't choose my fate) but I consider myself English first and British second and I also have high standards of work.

Rant over ... for now!

no offence intended either :wink_smile:

This isnt about different nationalities. Just respecting the trade.

Understood, but it does no good referring to other nationalities either. The trade is being undermined by every (good or bad) electrician who has to or is willing to accept lower rates. I understand why people do it though!
I don't think the industry schemes (otherwise known as 'scams') have helped either (I know this is another topic but is really making my blood boil right now) with the introduction of this Electricsafe register. Someone should get their heads together and give them a very large bang and get it sorted out. How on earth has the introduction of Two schemes that are calling themselves almost identical names going to help the general public !!!
I am in favour of a registration scheme but it has to be fair and should only be ONE !

Perhaps a beer and good nights sleep and I'll feel better in the morning !

:dizzy2:

im gonna have to look into this. sounds crazy

Here are the links ...

This is the NAPIT one ... that everyone can join - FREE
ElectricSafe Register - Electricians you can trust

This is the OTHER one that only their members can join
Electrical Safety Register - Find your local, registered electrical contractor

I guess this is gonna make it easier for the public to choose from ...
What also gets me is that because I cannot join the OTHER one, if a member of the public sees my van and company name and looks it up on the WRONG register then they won't find me there and could conclude that I am a 'cowboy' and not registered ... great for my business !
This needs to be sorted asap because it is very biased and is not good for the industry !!!

Perhaps this can be made into a sticky or into a new thread unless it already has been (Admin ?)
:censored:

Here are the links ...

This is the NAPIT one ... that everyone can join - FREE
ElectricSafe Register - Electricians you can trust

This is the OTHER one that only their members can join
Electrical Safety Register - Find your local, registered electrical contractor

I guess this is gonna make it easier for the public to choose from ...
What also gets me is that because I cannot join the OTHER one, if a member of the public sees my van and company name and looks it up on the WRONG register then they won't find me there and could conclude that I am a 'cowboy' and not registered ... great for my business !
This needs to be sorted asap because it is very biased and is not good for the industry !!!

Perhaps this can be made into a sticky or into a new thread unless it already has been (Admin ?)
:censored:

i have to say this is why i just join napit as the nic/eca are just trying to rip us off with things like this. napit make it free for everyone to join the register and its something the joe public will catch on to as its the same as gas safe.
i think nic just shot them self in the foot.

Any elecsa/Nic sparky here actually joined the Electricsafe register ?

Yes, and I stick out like a sore thumb, being the only Elecsa member in my area on the list amongst all those Napit bods. I couldn't see any disadvantage to it and it just might do some good. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way of adding a link to your own website.

Yes, and I stick out like a sore thumb, being the only Elecsa member in my area on the list amongst all those Napit bods. I couldn't see any disadvantage to it and it just might do some good. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way of adding a link to your own website.

Good on yer.

everytime one does, it's a red face blush for the NICEIC/eca debacle.

Well beat this guy I work with will install cu for £ 60 + materials .. He says 3hrs work... End of.. So if you are loosing out these guys doing it cheaper have full time jobs aswell. If you didn't know..

Any cost involved mate? I think it's crazy that there are 2 "safety" registers, yet we are only on 1 of them. Not much good if a prospective client looks on the wrong one...

Reply to Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net