Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Garage Sockets Regulations in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Steina

Steina New EF Member

Hi everyone
    I've been out the business a long time and am rusty on regs. Perhaps someone can assist?

My son has an armoured cable fed from his house CU via a dedicated mcb to his detached garage.

This cable is connected to a 'Lewden' 'garage' CU consisting of a 6A mcb feeding two small flourescent light fittings and a 16A mcb feeding one double switched socket.

He uses several rechargeable drills/tools etc in his job and currently uses two 4-way extension leads to recharge everything.

I'm proposing installing four additional double switched sockets and returning to his garage CU to change the feed to a ring. I appreciate this means I need to change his 16A mcb to a 32 A mcb.

To save changing the 16A for a 32A, is it within the regs to simple add four more sockets i.e. have five in total on a single cable?

2. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

So what you're saying is you've never been in the business you're a DIYer that wishes for some advice.

Yes, you can add four more sockets. I'm sure those who do domestic work will correct me if I'm wrong here, but this work will be notifiable to building control, and will need a minor works certificate producing.

- Corrected by others, not notifiable if it stays as a radial circuit and is already RCD protected.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  3. hightower

hightower Electrician's Arms

Can't see why it would be notifiable, just an addition to an existing circuit by the sounds of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

The additional sockets would need RCD protection (take it's a domestic garage). If the circuit remains as a radial, it would not need a compliance cert.

As Rob said, what level of competence, expertise and test equipment do you have?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

Yes you can add extra sockets to the 16A circuit, however the sockets require RCD protection.
    No there is no requirement to notify.
    Easiest way to provide RCD protection, would be to swap the 16A MCB for either a 16A or 20A RCBO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. hightower

@OP which would then require notification to LABC.

7. spinlondon

No, it's an alteration to an existing circuit.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hightower

I'd beg to differ, changing the protective device no longer makes it minor works.

9. Midwest

10. Steina

Steina New EF Member

To clarify:
    I'm a timed served electrician who then qualified as an engineer. I've worked in the Merchant Navy as an Electrical Engineer and Nuclear Power Stations. This experience removes me from the DIYer status but have not worked in domestic situations since I was in my early twenties (50 years ago!) and am therefore not familiar with current IEE Regs.

My original question is to ascertain whether I'm acting within regulations (whether building or IEE) in simply adding four more sockets to his existing radial circuit or do I have to make the radial a ring circuit and change the 16A mcb to a 32A mcb.

Much appreciate any help.

11. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Dare I ask what the OCPD is for the garage submain?

• Like Like x 1
  12. spinlondon

To start with, that's from 2005.
    Secondly there is nothing stating any of the work requires notification

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. spinlondon

You do not have to change from radial to ring.
    You do not have to change the MCB from 16A to 32A.
    What you do have to do, is provide RCD protection for the new sockets.
    This can be by using RCD sockets, swapping the 16A MCB for an RCBO, installing an RCD before the garage CU or by providing RCD protection at the house.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Midwest

That document is a bit out of date, well in England its is.

15. Midwest

I'll see if I can upload this one;

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  16. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    To make any changes means that the changes you make must comply with current regulations Spinlondon has summarised this effectively.
    It should be clarified that this RCD protection should be 30mA and that if there is already such protection further protection is not required.
    You would also need to provide a minor electrical installation works certificate detailing the compliant results of your testing.
    All this is assuming that the basic factors of the existing circuit are currently safely and compliantly installed.
    Under building regulations in England, almost no matter what you do, if it is described in the above posts, it would not be notifiable work.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Well there is not a new circuit, just extending an existing and changing the OCPD thats an alteration to existing so imo non notifiable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Murdoch

Using an EIC to confirm the change of OCPD is madness IMHO

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Been said before it's an alteration MNWC is what should be used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. hightower

So why would a board change be notifiable? Essentially all you are doing is changing the OCPD a handful of times.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Not sure of the reasons, but in the case discussed only one circuit is being altered, looking at the "Wiring Matters article" changing a CU does not constitute any Minor Works, their words not mine,

22. spinlondon

An MEIWC is intended for an alteration to a single circuit.
    A CU change normally involves multiple circuits so an EIC is required.

23. Midwest

'Cos, 'the replacement of a consumer unit' is specifically mentioned in the document as notifiable. Lets not forget, 'we' didn't make up the rules!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Murdoch

And nor do the NICEIC ........

25. Midwest

Arrrgh you like raking up old coals :)

26. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Maybe not, but they think they do, Murdoch

27. Steina

Steina New EF Member

I will check this out since I'm not sure whether it is from an OCPD in the house CU.

28. Steina

Steina New EF Member

Thank you for all the above, it's much appreciated.
    I'm going to extend the radial with four additional D/Skts.
    After ascertaining whether the garage supply from the house is from an OCPD or the garage CU has its own inbuilt, I'll exchange the 16A mcb for a 16A RCBO.
    The garage CU shows RCCB protected 63A 30mA. I will check this out but read this as being adequately protected?

29. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Dare I ask what size cable you will be using, and what method of installation, if the house CU has RCD protection and the Garage feed is coming from a cb on the RCD side of th CU (assuming it's not an amd 3CU) then all you need do is change the cb in the CU for a 20A, you don't want to go sticking RCDs Willy Nilly all over the shop, If as you mention the garage CU has an RCD then you will be covered. More than 1 RCD in the same circuit will only cause tripping problems.

30. Murdoch

Old? The coals are permanently warm!

• Funny Funny x 1
  31. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

NICEIC never off the burner, simmering in the background.

32. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    In fairness to hightower there is certainly a train of thought that altering the protective device makes it no longer minor works (or suitable for a MEIWC) and that you are essentially creating a new circuit (although all/most of it has already been wired).

33. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

NICEIC never off the burner, simmering in the background.
    It's a difficult one this, although whilst I understand HT's thinking, it's still just an alteration, you could say you are creating a new circuit if you add, say 3 more twin sockets to a radial with just 1 original socket, I going to stick with MNWC, as an altered circuit, sorry HT.

34. Midwest

I wish you lot would get all emotional when I talk out my ****, as I often do :)

I seem to recall I made a similar blunder last year, on this very subject. Which resulted in outright commendation & derision (you took the mick). But least I had the strong moral character (get used to looking a ****), and post the reply back from my scheme (document #15) o_O

• Like Like x 1
  35. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

When do you ever talk out of your backside?

36. Midwest

Quite often I wake up in the morning Pete, particularly at weekends, and can't remember making the remarks in a post from the night before. :eek:

I reckon someone's hacked my account and making spurious remarks. I think that's 'wear' or all those bad grammars things come from, that sparksburntout picks me up on.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  37. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

You're lucky, I sometimes can't remember what I said 5 minutes ago, who are you and what do you want?

• Funny Funny x 3
  38. Midwest

I'm constantly finding myself about to open my van door, with no idea what I'm supposed to be getting from within it :D

• Like Like x 1
  39. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Been there done that got the T shirt. haven't I? What are you asking me for? I dunno.

• Like Like x 1
  40. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    xcuse my ignerrrence, but wat is a forum?

41. happysteve

happysteve Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Dovecote Electrical
    GN3 p110 gives an example of an MEIWC being used when replacing a circuit breaker with an RCBO of the same rating (as well as some lighting points being added to the circuit in the example). If I was changing the rating or type of the OCPD, I personally would use an EIC but I can see the argument for using a MEIWC. Converting a radial circuit to an RFC, I would definitely use an EIC.

42. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

43. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Why? you would be altering or adding to an existing circuit, making work for yourself there Steve, sorry but I disagree with your logic on the Radial to Ring scenario.

44. Murdoch

Why, why, why would any one bother with an EIC when a MWC would do............ are you mad.............

• Agree Agree x 1
  45. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

No comment. I plead the 5th amendment, or should that be the 3rd, anyway Steve obviously has his reasons, who am I to question that, either way it's certified, but I agree with you , WHY.