Discuss Gender Neutral Confusion.............. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marvo

-
Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, this may not be the right forum to ask this question but I figured you guys in the UK are on the cutting edge of political correctness so I'll give it a go.

I had a job applicant send me a resume/CV and on it he states he's 'gender neutral'. I'll be the first to admit I'm not up to speed with all the new terminology and the first thing that sprung to mind was it was a guy who'd had his male parts removed or maybe a girl who had changed sex or something similar. After asking my office staff who were more clueless than I was I approached our third party HR advisors and they also couldn't give me any answers apart from it's not legally recognised here. I ended up googling it and to be completely honest I'm still as confused as I was to begin with.

If a guy says he's gender neutral (he looks very much like a guy from his photo) is he saying he doesn't want to be considered as a male by others purely from a social stance or is there a physical element to this like he's taking hormones or having/had surgery or is it something else entirely?

It's the first time I've ever encountered it. I belong to a local small business network with a few hundred other local small business and none of them have encountered it either. I guess in Africa we're a couple of decades behind the curve.

There are so many descriptive sexual types these days,it seems I've lost track myself
You could always ask him at interview

If I may say,are you looking to employ him or spending some time in his bed ? :)

I can't see it matters one way or the other what his gender neutral affliction/condition/description is and why it should impact on assessing a job applicant

Gender neutral means in most cases ,that I can stay as I am but also gain a sort of victim status . I don't understand trans people (why would I ,am not in that headspace) but I do respect anyone who feels that strongly that they get ops and risk their families and friends. So yes call a trans women she , but all this other nonsense just seems like look at me am important.

...............If I may say,are you looking to employ him or spending some time in his bed ? :)

I can't see it matters one way or the other what his gender neutral affliction/condition/description is and why it should impact on assessing a job applicant

Yeah....nah..he's not my type :eek:

I do have some concerns but I'm not going to get into them until I at least fully understand what gender neutral actually is.

It put you in a bad spot because this person is gender neutral now , next week demi boy ,week after gender fuild . You will be expected to address him her see zir do and anything else that this person feels or your picking on them . My feeling is this stuff my be expected of their families , partners and friends but not everyone else . Is this person going to be ----ed off every time a customer offers a them a cuppa with the wrong pronoun and does your paying customers want to hear his life story . The truth is you do you but your not that important no one cares

You can identify as what every you want but to put it in a CV suggest there is some reason it's important to you .As I have said calling a trans women him is just being a div but my niece is in uni and it's all the rage everyone got some new identity and are force full about it . Everyone of her friends is bisexual but only seem to have boyfriends , which suggests at least some of them wear it as a cool look . Some people have some really hard stuff to sort out and this identity fashion make it more likely that they will not be taken seriously . Rant over

Firstly this should have no bearing on their suitability for the job, judge their application and CV exactly the same as all of the others, and if they are worth an interview then invite them to do so.

Interview them exactly as you would anyone else. Then after the interview explain to them that you don't fully understand what gender neutrality is but that you didn't mention it until after the interview because it has no bearing on their suitability for the job.

If they are genuine then they will appreciate this, if they are abusing the situation to attempt to guilt you into giving them the job or wanting to make political statements etc then they won't appreciate it and will try to cause a fuss. But because you did treat them exactly the same as everyone else's they won't have a leg to stand on if they attempt to make something of it.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I do know a little bit about it and I have a few friends who know more than I do.

I could write many pages on the subject but I'll restrain myself for now.

In this neck of the woods Dave you wouldn't guilt anyone into anything or be making any kind of political statement by declaring gender neutral, like I say nobody I've spoken to has any idea even what it is.

It probably shouldn't have any bearing on their suitability for the job but why would they go out of their way to state it when it wasn't an option on the form we sent them?

I know it would be a paperwork issue, we have to declare on official forms the number of male, female, black, white, coloured and disabled emplyees for purposes of complying with the employment equity act and there's no accomodation for any genders other than male and female. Kinda ironic really when the employment equity act was passed with the purpose of 'guaranteeing non-discrimination on the basis of race, gender, age, political opinion and religious beliefs'

You haven't asked about their gender assignment, but it has been put on the table and they are probably very nervous about things. That said, I'd get professional recruitment advice to ensure the process is in accord with your local anti discrimination laws.

Okay, this may not be the right forum to ask this question but I figured you guys in the UK are on the cutting edge of political correctness so I'll give it a go.

I had a job applicant send me a resume/CV and on it he states he's 'gender neutral'. I'll be the first to admit I'm not up to speed with all the new terminology and the first thing that sprung to mind was it was a guy who'd had his male parts removed or maybe a girl who had changed sex or something similar. After asking my office staff who were more clueless than I was I approached our third party HR advisors and they also couldn't give me any answers apart from it's not legally recognised here. I ended up googling it and to be completely honest I'm still as confused as I was to begin with.

If a guy says he's gender neutral (he looks very much like a guy from his photo) is he saying he doesn't want to be considered as a male by others purely from a social stance or is there a physical element to this like he's taking hormones or having/had surgery or is it something else entirely?
Gender neutrality - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_neutrality
This any help Marvo?

Reply to Gender Neutral Confusion.............. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net