Discuss Here we go again, 6mm cable x 10kw shower x whack a 40A mcb in. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just been to another one of those !!
Plumber replaces shower for upgraded version. 40A mcb replaces 32A. No problem mate !! that will work fine.
So 12 months later the owners girlfriend moves in with him.
So that poor old 6mm that was just starting to break a sweat for 12 months, suddenly ain't getting that quick 10 minutes and off cycle.
Nope its 10 minutes followed by 30 minutes to include washing those golden locks.
Over heated cable over heated shower switch. What's that funny burning smell ?
And that my friends is why 40A mcb's on 6mm cable cus now I have a much more powerful shower.
Is just pushing your luck a little to far, and one day the luck runs out.
Will they never learn ??

I guess it depends on how long the 6mm cable is and how it is run e.g clipped direct or fished under loft insulation.

JW did a vid showing how 2.5mm clipped can take about 60-65amps before it started sweating and a solid 70amps before it started smoking. This was only about a metre of cable clipped to a bit of mdf but it shows cable can take a lot more amps that the tabulated values depending on how its installed

Thermal damage showing at the mcb and isolator not down to loose connections. Shower actually rated at 10.5 kw. 6mm running 18 meters ref 101 for a good part of that. I'm not making excuses for a set up showing this kind of evidence. And after talking to the home owner about how and for how long the shower is usually used. This is clearly a case of pushing the limits and what happens when you do. Shower is all good its the cable size, the length of run, and the installation method that's causing the problems. Its a simple fix. Just needs to be done correctly. Its a classic all going fine until usage habits change. Then the weakness within the design will show, just like this has.
10mm install and you wont find yourself second guessing with depends on this depends on that ?

Was the 6mm cable definitely overheating? Or was it at the terminations in the switch etc?

Reply to Here we go again, 6mm cable x 10kw shower x whack a 40A mcb in. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net