Discuss How long to second fix a socket? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have done them in five days on my own hard slog but done right all the same! I am getting older and starting to notice the sixth day looms a lot lol

I used to work with another spark when we were first qualified (and younger and fitter) and we used to do a three bed rewire in two days back in the eighties (not so many sockets or lights etc back then), and regularly we`d do two in a week and have friday off

i would say 10 min because fair enough it wouldnt take long to 2nd fix a socket but think if you had a 3-gang 2-way switch or a 2 gang intermediate it would take a little longer to do that especially for apprentices so i would say 10 atleast if you do it quicker its a bonus

3 to 4 days to rewire the average semi using 2 sparks, and 1 labourer, plasterer half day as well. Have done them in 2 and a half, but i am getting a bit older, and dont do 14 hours days anymore.

Had an apprentic one who took 2 hours to second fix one socket ,he was a right know it all ,didnt say a thing, so i let him get on with it , wasnt till my 14 year old daughter did one next to him in about 5 mins that he grunted something never again , on re wires , i dont work fast anymore we could do it in 5 days start to finish if the house was empty but now adays the rewires i do tent to be occupied full of junk so it takes 2 weeks , had one that took 4 weeks a small bungalow took 2 days to empty a loft to get 1 wire in never seen anything like it lol

I timed 15 sockets on a second fix in a house 2 floor extension, average of 8 Mins per socket allowing for moving between rooms picking up sockets etc. Dado trunking however is a lot quicker, nice height on bending down, sockets in a bag on your tool belt, 2-4 mins.

Right, reading with interest and I'm amused by all those supermen who claim to be so fast.

If you had all your tools there in front of you and the accessory and timed yourself, then yes, 2mins is achievable.
However what happens when you have to move from point to point? You do the same time? Rubbish!
What about when you have to clean the plaster out of the box?
What about when the lugs need re-threading?
What about when an adjustable lug is missing?
What about when you run out of sleeving, so have to get some more from van?
What about when the cables to a switch have been marked incorrectly, or someone (plasterer) has cut them shorter. Time to get the continuity tester out.

Luckins and Spons use 18 mins per socket front and with the examples above you can see why. That 18-20 mins isn't really just for the socket, it's for all the unforeseen problems too.

If this was record breakers in perfect conditions then one per minute is fine but in reality I think 4 per hour is about right, any more is a bonus. It's the case of want happens if? Back boxes could need refitting, short cut cables, lugs not fitting correctly loads of things can go wrong and takes extra time to sort out. If your pricing this up for yourself I would think 4 an hour (with travelling in between rooms) if your prepared with all the tools with you, sleeving, back boxes, lug screws and an extra socket incase you crack/damage one whilst going round. My works give me ten minutes per socket change, sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't. Each one is different but always nice to get an easy change of sockets.

Reply to How long to second fix a socket? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net