Discuss Immersion heater element replacement. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Don't like those immersion jobs, so I am biased...but being so, I would just tell 'em to get a plumber in. Wouldn't go out to look at it just to say the same thing. The older cylinders were thicker, I think, so could stand more spannering, but a buckled, leaking cylinder on a Saturday night is a nightmare.
Of course, were I a plumber, I would upsell to a different system! LOL!
and of course not mention to customer that the old tank you charged him £40 to dispose of environmentally friendly, got you £30 from the local scrap yard.

Done a few immersion’s the job is really easy.

If it comes out easy enough it’s your job.

If it’s a pain it’s wet pants.

Watch for the copper body of the tank flexing when undoing the old element as some are paper thin and will tear.

Just remember when reassembling to ensure all old gasket/PTFE tape residues are removedand a generous amount of WRAS approved jointing compound is used.

i always found that gently tapping the spanner rapidly with a 4lb. lump hammer released it without the tank failing.

i always found that gently tapping the spanner rapidly with a 4lb. lump hammer released it without the tank failing.
If I had to go near a hammer I’d consider it a plumber job.

Or at the very least give the customer the option. I’ll continue but no way am I paying for a new tank.

Happily dispose of the old one though.

I charge to investigate issues like these, Use any tools it is chargeable otherwise not. Someone has to find out what the issue is first... test supply, cable, thermostat, element then worse case return with decent element & plumbing kit ...towels ....more towels......then speedos if it really goes BAD.

all depends on your definition of waste:
Waste (or wastes) are unwanted or unusable materials. Waste is any substance which is discarded after primary use, or is worthless, defective and of no use.

a copper tank is, by definition , not waste, as it will be recycled, and as such is not worthless, defective, and of no use. same applies to scrap cable.

all depends on your definition of waste:
Waste (or wastes) are unwanted or unusable materials. Waste is any substance which is discarded after primary use, or is worthless, defective and of no use.

a copper tank is, by definition , not waste, as it will be recycled, and as such is not worthless, defective, and of no use. same applies to scrap cable.

You might wanna look out for unmarked council/environmental cars, waiting outside of scrappies for the unsuspecting sparky.

Until your old copper tank, has began its recovery process, its still waste. Your not part of the recovery process, by dropping it off at the scrappies.

Happily stand corrected.

so, if i dent the tank with a lump hammer, it's recovery process has been initiated by me? same with cable, if i strip some insulation off, will that not be the start of recovery?

Every time I need to use a council service - which I try to keep to an absolute minimum, it's been a depressing painful experience. They appear to be hugely understaffed or maybe they are just lazy and/or incompetent?

If they've got the spare resources to let someone sit outside the scrappys waiting for some unsuspecting tradesman dropping off some copper that is no longer required by them, just so they can fine them or whatever.... I don't think I could be held responsible for my response to them!

our local waste site is privately run. always enough staff on site, and helpful. 75% of whatever is tipped gets recycled. I am allowed to take most waste in my van averaging once a month (ANPR on site).

If council staff are lying in wait outside scrap yards then this needs publicising.

These staff, and the fines associated, have been empowered to reduce fly tipping.

Typical State mission creep:-

1, Enact law to deal with a highly publicised problem.
2, Word the law in such a woolly way that it applies to previously innocent parties.
3, Ignore the original targets of the legislation, too much like hard work.
4, Go after previously law abiding easy targets.

It's worth keeping an eye out for this as it's happening more and more.

Another example of the above is school children and holidays:-

Law intended to tackle degenerate and neglectful parents allowing their kids to truant and run feral.

Results in fines for good working families who take their kids on a term time holiday to try to save a few bob.

Like or not they do. Another member related such a story, @SparkyChick, I think it was. Then there was that incident recently where environmental agency gave a builder a fpn for carrying sandwich wrappers in a waste bag in his van!!

I got myself a lower tier waste licence (free), which allows me to carry waste generated by myself, but soon as you start collecting scrap cable etc to take to the scrappy, its the upper tier (£229 +VAT). The definition, is it someone else's waste, you need a licence.

Not stopped me from being naughty boy, but something you might wish to be aware of.

Like or not they do. Another member related such a story, @SparkyChick, I think it was. Then there was that incident recently where environmental agency gave a builder a fpn for carrying sandwich wrappers in a waste bag in his van!!

I got myself a lower tier waste licence (free), which allows me to carry waste generated by myself, but soon as you start collecting scrap cable etc to take to the scrappy, its the upper tier (£229 +VAT). The definition, is it someone else's waste, you need a licence.

Not stopped me from being naughty boy, but something you might wish to be aware of.

Its disgraceful though, we know the types they should be going after but there's little or no chance of catching them or recovering fines.

Instead they encumber small traders with more layers of red tape to deal with.

The new 'crime' becomes not complying with the red tape and not actually fly tipping.

This kind of thing boils my pi55

All the waste I generate on jobs, has to be disposed of by the customer, either skip bag or skip, or their own (environmentally ecologically safe :) ) disposal system. Its in the T&C's of my quotation.

Dunno what happens to all the old copper stuff :rolleyes:

The real problem is that once you have your waste carriers license, you have now saddled yourself with another level of beurocracy...all waste transported needs to be accompanied by a duty of care/waste transfer note, detailing type and source of waste, tipping site etc.
Gets complicated for those who take small amounts of scrap home and accumulate in a bin for the annual Christmas weigh in! All records need to be kept for 5years blah blah....just a nightmare!
And all the while hedges and alleyways continue to be filled with the usual crap thats expensive to dispose of...not often you see a pile of copper dumped in a field!

The real problem is that once you have your waste carriers license, you have now saddled yourself with another level of beurocracy...all waste transported needs to be accompanied by a duty of care/waste transfer note, detailing type and source of waste, tipping site etc.
Gets complicated for those who take small amounts of scrap home and accumulate in a bin for the annual Christmas weigh in! All records need to be kept for 5years blah blah....just a nightmare!
And all the while hedges and alleyways continue to be filled with the usual crap thats expensive to dispose of...not often you see a pile of copper dumped in a field!

Exactly, original problem remains unsolved but more positions for council job squatters.

I'm guessing they might let me off, with my lower tier licence and waste bag of crisp packets etc, whereas those without will get £60 ticket :)

Reply to Immersion heater element replacement. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net