Discuss Immersion heater element replacement. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I found some of the attitudes and posts on this thread very hypocritical
What would be the point in making laws or regulations if no attempt was ever made to enforce those laws or regulations

The same ones on here bemoaning the councils trying to enforce the waste management regulations (designed to improve all our lives)they are the very same who grump and groan because their precious Part P ( electricians are a special breed) building regs section is not enforced :confused:
Des, the point is the law was passed to tackle certain behaviours namely fly tipping and metal theft.

In order to do this they bring in new regulations and paperwork to comply with.

The metal thieves and fly tippers still steal and fly tip with little chance of getting caught.

This is because the enforcers are sat outside wholesalers ticketing people for safely disposing of items in the designated bins, a system that not only was perfectly acceptable it still is.

The new crime is not following procedure. They are criminalising the method not the end result.

It is morally abhorrent.

Agree with Des56 above.

Also, I remember the times many years ago when there weren't so many rules and regulations in place at the local tips. And normal householders could barely get in as they were always full of tradespeople in their transit vans dumping trade rubbish for free. Or should I say at the expense of the taxpayer.

Remember, your local 'tip' is a household waste centre.

Different issue but one I agree with ultimately although a royal PITA.

No harm in asking wholesaler to take old tubes back to their recycling skip for you when they deliver to your home, and I tend to put lunch rubbish in customers bin. :D

Its nice to get a reply that focuses on the perceived facts :thumbsup:

That is instead of personal insult from a n other, (who had little or no useful contribution to the debate)

Thank you for your explanation GBDamo

Its nice to get a reply that focuses on the perceived facts :thumbsup:

That is instead of personal insult from a n other, (who had little or no useful contribution to the debate)

Thank you for your explanation GBDamo
Cheers Des, it’s causing me no end of bother.

Much of my work is reactive maintenance, not all off which is electrical, but on any day I can change up to a hundred lamps across many sites. Each of these sites now requires a waste transfer note completing and a receipt from the wholesalers for disposal.

Wholesalers never used to mind you dumping lamps even if you didn’t purchase the replacemens from them. Now they have to tally sales with disposals and are less keen to take them if you ask for a receipt.

It is such poorly drafted law and poorly enforced.

If you took what I said as a personal insult then I can only apologise for the misunderstanding. Things can often be taken the wrong way on forums.

Our views on a lot of things seem to be very different, no need to fall out over it though

and so it was to be.....fate took the little immersion by the hand and walked off into the sunset only to be faced with a large sign
"NO FLY TIPPING, NO RETURNING MORE THAN ONCE A MONTH, WE ARE ONLY OPEN ONE DAY EVERY THREE WEEKS, NO VANS"........the little immersion took off it's size 7 Vans and just folded. :sob:

Reply to Immersion heater element replacement. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net