Discuss Immersion heater element replacement. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

They can do one if they think I'll be getting a license. If asked anything I have in my van won't be waste. Cardboard will be reused at home for gardening, old light fittings will be plant pots etc. I'm also someone who likes to reuse crisp packets for storing things in ;) How can anything possibly be waste if I'm going to use it! Theres a fine line between a bag of rubble and a bag of ballast. I might need that bag of rubble to build the levels up in my garden for a shed base.

They can do one if they think I'll be getting a license. If asked anything I have in my van won't be waste. Cardboard will be reused at home for gardening, old light fittings will be plant pots etc. I'm also someone who likes to reuse crisp packets for storing things in ;) How can anything possibly be waste if I'm going to use it! Theres a fine line between a bag of rubble and a bag of ballast. I might need that bag of rubble to build the levels up in my garden for a shed base.

Have a read of this link then, and tell me what you think. I think its nonsense, but it appears some bodies have a different view.

Decide if a material is waste or not: general guide (updated version of part 2 of original full document) - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/legal-definition-of-waste-guidance/decide-if-a-material-is-waste-or-not#identify-when-waste-rules-apply

In the unlikely event I get pulled over by one of these Nazis they better be ready for me to argue that I will be using anything in my van! They can't change the definition of a word to suit themselves.

As an aside, what do you do with all your rubbish that you generate from your work (not aimed just at yourself)?

I was advised by my NAPIT assessor to obtain the lower tier waste carrier licence. The reasons... councils in my area have been known to send staff out in unmarked cars and have them park up near wholesalers who do things like recycle old tubes.

When a tradie rocks up with old tubes, they observe them entering with them and leaving without them. They then issue them a ticket.

The advice was... go to a job with a full unopened reel of cable, leave with a partial reel... the partial reel is classed as waste from that job and they can have you and yes, your lunch rubbish also classes as waste.

In essence with the lower tier licence you can take away any rubbish you created... parts boxes, plastic wrapping, partial reels of cables, even your off cuts and cable strippings. But you take bits of their wall away for example if you've been chasing, or bits of plasterboard... and you could be had for transporting waste illegally.

It's bureaucracy gone mad. The most annoying thing for me is I live in Newport Council's area. I recently ditched my car and got a van... now I can't even take my own household waste to the tip because they don't allow vans, so I'm looking at paying around £40 (minimum charge) to get rid of my own rubbish. But take a drive around the lanes (I live near the coast road that runs between Newport and Cardiff - at the Cardiff end there is a travellers camp and they are buying up land along the coast road heading ever closer to my part of the world) and you'll find numerous fly tipping sites. Drove past a shed load of what looked like asbestos boarding the other day and this is happening all the time. The council clean it up and a few days later there's more and as has been pointed out... we get screwed over because of our lunch wrapper... it's bloody wrong.

As an aside, what do you do with all your rubbish that you generate from your work (not aimed just at yourself)?
For me all waste goes back to the office where we have suitable skips.

The exception being tubes which go to the bins at wholesalers.

Don't even bother with scrap.

I leave the waste S88T ---- their on the job like fluorescent tubes and fittings. if it is the customers I tell them its yours, if you want me to take it will cost ££££. I take it home and transfer to my rolls Royce and take it in to land fill skips that's two fingers up to home land security .

I also have the lower tier waste carrier licence advised to by my assessor. A local carpenter had no previous issues to drop off his own waste, until he had sign writing on his van...was banned from the site along with legal threats.

I think I might Van Wrap to disguise it as a car with "windows" ....so when they look in they will see empty seats I don't have....and maybe an immersion heater element that just lost its way.

For me all waste goes back to the office where we have suitable skips.

The exception being tubes which go to the bins at wholesalers.

Did you not read SparkyChicks #47. Different areas, might have different enforcement, but the same rules apply (England & Wales).

I found some of the attitudes and posts on this thread very hypocritical
What would be the point in making laws or regulations if no attempt was ever made to enforce those laws or regulations

The same ones on here bemoaning the councils trying to enforce the waste management regulations (designed to improve all our lives)they are the very same who grump and groan because their precious Part P ( electricians are a special breed) building regs section is not enforced :confused:

Agree with Des56 above.

Also, I remember the times many years ago when there weren't so many rules and regulations in place at the local tips. And normal householders could barely get in as they were always full of tradespeople in their transit vans dumping trade rubbish for free. Or should I say at the expense of the taxpayer.

Remember, your local 'tip' is a household waste centre.

I found some of the attitudes and posts on this thread very hypocritical
What would be the point in making laws or regulations if no attempt was ever made to enforce those laws or regulations

The same ones on here bemoaning the councils trying to enforce the waste management regulations (designed to improve all our lives)they are the very same who grump and groan because their precious Part P ( electricians are a special breed) building regs section is not enforced :confused:

I dont't agree with the way the law is written, hence I am no hypocrite. This is bureaucracy gone mad. The law could've been worded to avoid this ridiculous burden on small business and hit the fly tipping scum it's surely intended for.

However, after reading your opinions on numerous things on other threads I'm not sure our political views will ever align. We're going to have to agree to disagree with the methods to get towards what I'm sure are shared goals.

I dont't agree with the way the law is written, hence I am no hypocrite. This is bureaucracy gone mad. The law could've been worded to avoid this ridiculous burden on small business and hit the fly tipping scum it's surely intended for.

However, after reading your opinions on numerous things on other threads I'm not sure our political views will ever align. We're going to have to agree to disagree with the methods to get towards what I'm sure are shared goals.

I don' give two hoots about your estimation of my posts or my political views :rolleyes: neither do I care or give a damn about agreeing with anything you post.

Reply to Immersion heater element replacement. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net