Discuss Niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

well guys i passed my assesment today he was here 2.5 hrs

he was a great bloke went through all assesment with ease and he wasn't here to trip me up at all he wanted me to get through it

:? like i did

well done elecsa you put others to shame ..

asked loads of questions on bs7671 building regs
went through testing certs and schedules

tested my install for zs and rcd times.

happy everything was ok n shook my hand

i am now part p registered

Well done.:cool:

questions on bonding , smoke alarms, rcd trip times ie 0.4 & 5 sec , building regs all parts inc ventallation, sound,

DONT FORGET YOUR HSR25 FREE DOWNLOAD HSE 52 PAGES ELECT @ WORK.

basic talking but questions were answered in talking generally testing your knowledge on methodology.

i'll post more when i think of them but they were loads but not stressfull
i was well happy with assesor. mr chivers i think he was called

testing i had to do a zs & rcd test timings easy with a fluke 1652

well chuffed now cant wait for my van sticker hehe

Ray Chivers, if he got any more laid back he'd be asleep.

Same on mine, rather than firing questions at your making you panic and forget, he approaches it more like long chat about electrics and the regs.

Top bloke.

Ray Chivers, if he got any more laid back he'd be asleep.

Same on mine, rather than firing questions at your making you panic and forget, he approaches it more like long chat about electrics and the regs.

Top bloke.

i thought he was gunna stay the night he wa here that long ... must like our coffee n toilet ..

Well, after starting this thread one month ago and after being so annoyed with the NICEIC, I got in touch with ELECSA. Yesterday was the assessment with elecsa and I must say, it is a pleasure to now be a member with them. They really have got it spot on with their customer service and focus. The assessment was stress free, re-assuring and educational. Anyone looking to join a part P scheme, I would highly recommend.

Ponty :D

hi
can anyone tell me if when the nic assessor came out to assess the job for nic registration,actually asked if the job been LABC notified and approved?
i noticed there is a big confusion about this.my training centre told me not to notify LABC as there is no need for this if i am using the job for the assessment.Nic says different...
thanx

If you follow posts in here you will note that a lot of the guys, including me all feel that the NICEIC do things their way and interpret things their way.

Other schemes like ELECSA and NAPIT will advise you to contact the LABC in your area, explain what your doing and the majority of those LABC are very good and will allow you carry out the work and when you are assessed sign it off. The NICEIC on the other hand insist that you actually go down the road of a building warrent.

Have you spoke to the NICEIC about this and have they insisted on you getting a warrent?

If you follow posts in here you will note that a lot of the guys, including me all feel that the NICEIC do things their way and interpret things their way.

In this case it's the other scheme providers that are interpreting things their way and the niceic are doing it by the book.

Going back to the original post, what do you suppose would happen if something went wrong between finishing the job & your inspection & notification?

Say someone was hurt & it became legal, do you think that in a court of law you would get away with saying ''The nice lady at Elecsa said it would be alright'' and do you think that the nice lady would come to court to back up your story.

Like it or not the person at the Niceic was right, if you want to use your work for your inspection and then notify it just do it and don't tell anybody. That's what I would do.

I see you quote a small section of my OP and that you have commented completely out of context of what I wrote, which I feel is a little unfair, I actually wrote

"Other schemes like ELECSA and NAPIT will advise you to contact the LABC in your area, explain what your doing and the majority of those LABC are very good and will allow you carry out the work and when you are assessed sign it off."

So there are 2 distinct parties involved in this procedure the scheme providers and the LABC themselves. I was part of NICEIC in the 90's and was with them for over 10yrs and in that time they were excellent. But I feel, as many do, that they have lost their way from being a body to ensure standards to treating the electrical contractor as a cash cow.

I feel that the other schemes are trying to help the small lone trader by advising this method. After all if the LABC think it is not safe they can simply say no and you have to apply for a building warrent. The NICEIC IMO are just being perdantic and saying do it our way or not at all.

Malcolm, I was only trying to point out that the Nic were giving advice out over the phone strictly by the book. And I don't blame them.

For what it's worth, in my opinion when Ponty Massive told the local building control of his plans, you could take that as having notified them. I don't think that the part p document goes into to much detail on how notification is carried out.

But getting back to my point, the lady on the other end of the phone is not qualified to make judgment on whether the person they are speaking to has complied with part p or not. And if the other scheme providers allow their phone operators to do that, then that's their lookout.

going back to my initial question,if anyone knows,does the NIC assessor actualy asks if the job that he is assessing me on,have been notified and tested by the LABC`s contractors(my LABC told me over the phone that i need to pay 2 hundred something and they will come to inspect during first fixing and then they will be back for testing)
Again my only concern is if the assessor wants to know of and see details of the LABC`s testing.
Thanx guys

Reply to Niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net