Discuss Niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

read your on site guide as much as you can. I think that the fear of the assessment is worse than the reality. The man that came to see me was very friendly and helpful. I think that a lot of people seem to have a downer on the NIC, I dont know why. They are just doing their job, as far as I can see.

I was with the NICEIC for 12 years when back in the 90's they were the only kids on the block. Then they were fantastic helpful and supportive. I think what went wrong was when the Part P came in.

They thought that as they were the only body for the electrical contracting industry they would be the administrators of it. Then the government, rightly in my view, which is a first agreeing anything about the Part P, opened it up and other bodies emerged, ie NAPIT, ELECSA, BSI. I think then the NICEIC were caught napping and they lost their way a little.

It was then that their attitude changes from a body maintaining standards to becoming a commercial enterprise with training and publication. Again I have no problems with this, everything as to evolve, but I think they now have the attitude that they are superior and how they interpret things is the only way things should be done.

Aside from things like live testing, another are earth electrodes. The BRB clearly states that an ohmeric reading of over 200 ohms is not acceptable as it can prove unstable. The NICEIC say it should be less than 100ohm, they have put their interpretation on it and as far as they are concerend that is it. Whereas in reality with RCD protection of 30mA on a TT system, now for every circuit, the rod could be 1500ohms as long as the R1+R2 for the circuit will bring it under 1666, there are other examples throughtout the NICEIC as well.

I have to say I miss the old NICEIC I had a great relationship with them and my local assessors and management,

Me and a mate spent weeks looking through every part p scheme available and thought we'd better go to NIC as then we could do work for our local council and builders. found them not to be very helpful at all. all they were interested in was the money.

talking to a family member (A builder) he said as long as i can do the work and give him a certificate at the end then does it matter who i go with.

decided to go with elecsa, they were much more helpful, answering questions and talking through things me before i had even paid a penny. technical side are extremely good. the assessor was a great guy.

although people say NIC are more widely known, me and a few others have noticed that customers have heard of 'Part P' but not any of the bodies. i havent lost any work not being NIC. elecsa are definately the way forward

The NICEIC aren't all things to all men but I must get at least 2 enquiries a week asking for 'an NIC inspection certificate'. Normally these are insurance-driven and whether Mrs Smith has heard of them or not, their market penetration is far better than that of other schemes.

The NICEIC aren't all things to all men but I must get at least 2 enquiries a week asking for 'an NIC inspection certificate'. Normally these are insurance-driven and whether Mrs Smith has heard of them or not, their market penetration is far better than that of other schemes.

Absolutely correct, the name can generate work and interest the others lack

Very sad, but very true

on the flipside, i am a CIS employed sub-contractor, i have steady work from 2-3 different firms and have never felt i have enough of my "own work" to justify the £400ish a year to join a scheme, however every now and again i pick up a kitchen or full re-wire and so go down the notification route, pricing in the £200ish quid that i will need to pay, thus covering mine and my customers arses, well twice now i have done this only to find that this has been a complete waste of time, 1st time the local BC had no idea how notification seemed to work, and even tho i had paid them the notification fee would not except my green certificate "as it is not the red ones we like to see" and didnt seem to have a clue about inspecting the job themselves, instead the suggested i get an NICEIC registered company to come and do a periodic inspection???? when i told my client that this was bollox cos he needed and EIC for his new re-wire he said that that is what his building inspector had asked for, so that is what i did and they were happy with that!!!!, 2nd time i called up the BC after i had heard nothing back from them after sending them £200 to notify, and wehn they errrmed and ahhhd about what i should do i suggested that i test and inspect my own work having informed them that i was doing it and that i send them a copy of the EIC so they could look at the results " oh yeah ok then, that sounds ok" came the reply !!! ffs!! like i was telling them how to do theyre job!, this was 2 different building authorities!!!

Hi jase,

I to have contacted my LABC at wigan to ask them the process

first the head of building control told me i would have to pay £190 and they would send someone to inspect and test the work

which my reply was as a qualified competent perso i have to sign for design ,construction and the inspection ad testing he seemed to be saying a approved Elecy would have to inspect and test then sign for it as i am not able to self sert yet until a member of ELECSA

then when i told him i was qualified and know how to inspect and test and fill the EIC in he then said they would still have to send someone to inspect the work but if Elecsa was sendin someone to inspect the work then they could reduce the fee as there was o point two independant electricains inspecting it and he said to see if Elecsa are sendig someone to ispect the work

So i contacted Elecsa and they have said he is wrong I have to inspect and test and fill the EIC which i already knew
the guy from elecsa says the labc are mixing up self certifying and notification and elecsa dont inspect the work as part of the registration process they are ther to see if i am competent ad carrying out the work to the standard and to check you have necesaary docs, tester and filling in certs correctly

Elecsa said that the labc are probably hinting at me doing job and notifying after the assessment and so was he
but then said this is unofficial by law you have to notify

what a load of tosh if LABC dont know how the system works and elecsa then how are we supposed to

and according to approved doc part p i have to cert it and send labc a copy to check to see if any furhter action required

they dont know there own rules and regulations what a complete scam and joke part p is

labc say i have to pay 190 and either they send someone to inspect it or see if elecsa would which elecsa said they dont do it and also if someone else was inspecting it then i would have to prove this in writing
LABC dont even sound like they know what there procedures are
debating wether to just do it and notify after joining elecsa and that depends on if i pass the assessment

Reply to Niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net