Discuss Niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Ponty Massive

I called my LABC about a week ago and asked what was involved with the notification process, could someone come out and have a look etc. Spoke to a real switched on guy, I explained it was going to be used as my Part P assessment with the NIC. His view was, he was happy if it was my assessment job for me to do the work, then when the NIC come around it can be certified then etc therefore saving me a couple of hundred quid! Was even happy to provide it in writing to give to the NIC.....Nice guy (there are still a few out there)

Today a call to the NIC.

"Hi, I've received your email with the application details, can I go ahead and begin the application please?"

"You need 2 jobs and pay us £434.75" :rolleyes:

"Yep no problems, the work is in my house and I have my debit card here"

She then runs through all the usual questions regarding exams etc...

She's asked me if the jobs had been approved by the LABC, to which I explained they were happy to let me run with it and do the work because you guys are coming out to inspect it.

"That's NOT exceptable.....you can't certify your own work. It has to be done through the LABC"

I was a bit gob-smacked. "Why can't I certify my own work?" I asked, "I have been an electrician for about 18 years and have had to certify every job I have done."

"You can't certify your own work because your not NICEIC approved"

There was a long pause........

"So where do I go from here?" I asked.

"You need to pay the LABC first, then once they are happy, call us back and then pay us."

The next call from me won't be the LABC but ELECSA!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else had this trouble with the NIC?

i had exactly the same conversation, you really cant win either way.i was qouted £237 per job for labc to get involved,its just such a con. i would love to go with elecsa but all the builders/developers i aim to work for want niceic.i know people with elecsa say phone this person etc they will tell the builders there is no difference between competent person schemes but i guarantee they wornt listen.

All the bl***y time. I was NICEIC when they were the only kids on the block way back in the 90's and before this silliness and part P. I had a great realtionship with my NICEIC guy, I won't give him his name, but if you know a certain C&G centre in Kent called Redford Charles you will know him. They were supportive and helpful. Then this money making scam came in called Part P and it went belly up. They turned from being a semi regulatory body to a money driven machine. And most of the guys like him left.

I left in 2007 and went to ELECSA and I found them like the old NICEIC were, helpful and couldn't do enough to help. I posted here last week that a friend was advised by ELECSA to do exactly what you did, and got the same answer from the LABC as you did.

Can't comment on NICEIC but Elecsa never mentioned it. On my assessment, the assessor did mention to me to notify it once i'd got my elecsa account set up.

All the bl***y time. I was NICEIC when they were the only kids on the block way back in the 90's and before this silliness and part P. I had a great realtionship with my NICEIC guy, I won't give him his name, but if you know a certain C&G centre in Kent called Redford Charles you will know him. They were supportive and helpful. Then this money making scam came in called Part P and it went belly up. They turned from being a semi regulatory body to a money driven machine. And most of the guys like him left.

I left in 2007 and went to ELECSA and I found them like the old NICEIC were, helpful and couldn't do enough to help. I posted here last week that a friend was advised by ELECSA to do exactly what you did, and got the same answer from the LABC as you did.

This is good to hear about Elecsa.

Thanks for the replies guys. I feel really mad already and I haven't even joined yet. As Jam2020 said, the only reason I was going to join them is because the NIC is what the local builders want (in turn doing work for the council).

I don't wont to cut my nose off to spite my face but I feel like just going straight to ELECSA now and have a chat with them.

im quite annoyed about all this,as if it doesnt cost enough to get set up in the first place,if nic were to pull there finger out and give you an assessment within a month i cant see the harm in self certifying the work imediatly after. im now thinking elecsa and if it really comes to it with builders demanding niceic sparks to join at a later date,at least i could sign work off with elecsa and keep the robbers from labc out of the equation!

i certified all my assessment via elecsa when i passed site visit!

and i have done work for Housing associations with there own sparks were busy!

Well I just phoned Elecsa......what a breath of fresh air. I cannot believe the difference in two companies. The lady on the end of the phone was extremely helpful and answered all my questions (plus I got through after about 10 seconds as aposed to 8 minutes waiting for the NIC to answer)

Seems like a no brainer now.

How can the NICEIC continue like this? Surely as a prospective customer to them, I should have been given a 1st class services and that's exactly what I got from Elecsa.

Payment will be made online tonight and I look forward to a happy working relationship them.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys :)

i certified all my assessment via elecsa when i passed site visit!

and i have done work for Housing associations with there own sparks were busy!

glad you had a great response from elecsa I got my assessment tomoz at 1pm so fingers crossed lol..
i have the same issues with niceic aswell it seemed they culdnt be bothered and very arsey so i kicked then to the wall and elecsa were excellent i would recommend them to anyone who want to join them...( well if i pass any way ) lol

good luck jj

Ive never heard a bad word said about elecsa. They are polite helpful and of noone is in technical you get a call back within ten minutes. Can't fault them at all

Reply to Niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net