Discuss Pictures of Board work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would definitely call it rough. He isn't running the job and certainly not supervising me. He has had almost 2 weeks on it. For an electrician with 20+ years experience he should be totally ashamed of what he's produced. Compared to the other boards on site it is really bad. The other ones are not tight at all. There is space down the centre for everything to run
This is how younger folk make a rod for their own back. You do not know the mans history and he is older than you so has worked through many changes, some he will not have agreed with like many of us. The bigger man will cut him some slack, show some respect, even if not the standard you aspire to. My not so humble opinion is that YOU show the way by quietly doing it better as it is clearly your opinion that you can. On one occasion, many years ago and a different trade observation on my part, a painter and decorator hung some very expensive wallpaper, there was room for improvement, the aspiring younger man actually took the client around the site to point out the flaws. Do you think that is acceptable? As I do not with your picture of his work it may not be perfect but as a relative new guy on the block you have many miles to travel before you sleep, if you make enemies you will be short on serious help when you may seriously need it.

This is how younger folk make a rod for their own back. You do not know the mans history and he is older than you so has worked through many changes, some he will not have agreed with like many of us. The bigger man will cut him some slack, show some respect, even if not the standard you aspire to. My not so humble opinion is that YOU show the way by quietly doing it better as it is clearly your opinion that you can. On one occasion, many years ago and a different trade observation on my part, a painter and decorator hung some very expensive wallpaper, there was room for improvement, the aspiring younger man actually took the client around the site to point out the flaws. Do you think that is acceptable? As I do not with your picture of his work it may not be perfect but as a relative new guy on the block you have many miles to travel before you sleep, if you make enemies you will be short on serious help when you may seriously need it.

You are only as good as your last job,

The man in question was quite happy to tell his story about how he's this and that. Best spark after god himself. So as for not knowing his story I feel I do. Then to produce that rubbish is beyond me. The younger thing that everyone keeps referring to is quite irrelevant. I'm 36 not some twenty something just out my time. As for respect I totally give it when it's earned not freely given because of age. I don't expect that either. I would never point his work out to the client as getting the job done is more important than causing problems. As I've said before I'm not interested in making enemies, work for me isn't about making friends. If an apprentice did it people would give tips to improve so why not the same because the man is older. Once again I believe respect is earned not given because of age. My jobs aren't perfect and you are correct I have a long way to go but I also have the mindset to know this and to accept criticism. I ask for criticism to improve myself within my trade

What you think?

IMG_3532.JPG

The plain fact that you have ferruled the factory links is great in my books. I have noticed that when people put up pics the factory made ends are still visible but the boards are neat as can be. You've gone that extra length. Very nice!
Just noticed that I'm writing in judge style (watching Pitch battle at same time!)

The plain fact that you have ferruled the factory links is great in my books. I have noticed that when people put up pics the factory made ends are still visible but the boards are neat as can be. You've gone that extra length. Very nice!
Just noticed that I'm writing in judge style (watching Pitch battle at same time!)

Most factory made ends are ultrasonically welded and do not require ferrules

Most factory made ends are ultrasonically welded and do not require ferrules
Yes but they always leave copper showing - should they try a bit harder in the factory? The ultrasonic weld will be in the ferrule and the outer shroud covering the exposed copper. Just looks tidier s'all!

Yes but they always leave copper showing - should they try a bit harder in the factory? The ultrasonic weld will be in the ferrule and the outer shroud covering the exposed copper. Just looks tidier s'all!

Yes they should try a bit harder at the factory.
But then I think manufacturers of CU's could do a bit better all round in their designs.

The numbers on the neutral bars don't correspond.

I thought that to start with. The manufacturers instructions explain the neutrals 1-5 are for circuits on the main switch, neutrals in the 21-27 are for the circuits protected by the 1st RCD and 31-37 for the 2nd. No idea why they choose this numbering but I suppose it does make some sense.

The numbering on the earthing bar is also out if we are going to be picky. As the marked terminal 2 is used to bolt the bar to the chassis. These manufacturers could really do a bit better. It's hardly rocket science.

The makers try and be all things to all men,trying to make their numbering suit different configurations,they would be better including those numbered stickers on their id sheet,instead the numbers and start points of thier existing numbering can be anyones guess

The numbering of the neutral bars makes sense to me.
Bank 1. (no RCD) is numbers 01 onwards
Bank 2. (First RCD) is numbers 21 onwards
Bank 3. (second RCD) is numbers 31 onwards.

I would have preferred to see it numbered 2.1 or 2/1 etc but you can't have everything. In my opinion it makes a bit more sense than the boards which have straight 1 through 21 and different people use them differently, or you have random gaps in the numbering due to your particular layout of the board

The makers try and be all things to all men,trying to make their numbering suit different configurations,they would be better including those numbered stickers on their id sheet,instead the numbers and start points of thier existing numbering can be anyones guess

In these days of dual RCD boards I don't see the need for the ability to greatly vary the number of circuits on each RCD, nor the need for the floating busbar approach.
A fixed busbar like in a distribution board would not be a problem in a modern CU in my opinion.
Circuits will almost always be split 50/50 between the two rcds, then just give us a couple of non-rcd ways and it'll be good.

A more universal way with any one of these domestic boards
Use a simple means of numbering all makes and all set ups it is to number the modules from the main switch, the circuits getting their order number from the relevant module way,apply a sticky label to suit a ordered routine

Reply to Pictures of Board work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net