Discuss Quick Pricing Enquiry in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mattcos1972

Hey guys,
Just pricing up a rewire for a 2 bed Bungalow.

All concrete floors... so sockets / switches etc fed from loft which is accessible.
Quite a few strappers required for 2 way lighting around the place.
New CCU and repositioning required.
Armoured feed to a few sockets at the rear of the garden (70ft) clipped to fence. :D
Cooker.
Customers occupying house during rewire.

We are assuming chasing will be required for most (maybe every socket / switch) as it looks like existing cables are plastered in (not in conduit).

Apart from that all else looks normal.

I have the quote just over £3k...does that sound reasonable? Or a little bit :eek:

how long is it likely to take you?
have you compiled a price for materials?
what sort of travelling is involved between site and home?

Yep.
Materials circa £700 top end.
£750 for subcontractors
Site under a mile from home.
Estimate one week to complete
Just a hell of a lot of chasing!! lol

how far away are you repositioning the consumer unit??

Hey Flukey.
How you doing chap?

New unit will be in an adjoining room; but due to the lay out of the house its actually not moving more than a metre or so, as it's tucked in the corner of the existing room. The old cables are already routed past the proposed new location (which is in a cupboard) and meter tails will still be within the 3m allowed by their supplier (British Gas - I've checked their limit with them when I ordered a DP isolator on the mains)

Cheers
Matt

what are the subcontractors doing?

does the material cost include the hire of a chaser and vac?

I already own the chaser and vac so that's catered for. Toying with the idea of getting another though!! lol

The thing is, I am not 100% that all the sockets will need chasing as there may be conduit in the wall in some instances. So I was thinking of leaving a proviso on the quote allowing that if we discover that we can bell the wires out then we'll adjust the price down accordingly. The quote in essence will be the worst case scenario.

The subcontractors will certainly be doing the chasing! lol!! Just helping generally with the installation, belling out wires etc and putting in fittings. I'll be the one testing or at least overseeing the testing (one of my subbies is doing his 2391 in July so he'll want to get some testing practice in. Ultimately though, my name will be on the cert.

I already own the chaser and vac so that's catered for. Toying with the idea of getting another though!! lol

The thing is, I am not 100% that all the sockets will need chasing as there may be conduit in the wall in some instances. So I was thinking of leaving a proviso on the quote allowing that if we discover that we can bell the wires out then we'll adjust the price down accordingly. The quote in essence will be the worst case scenario.

The subcontractors will certainly be doing the chasing! lol!! Just helping generally with the installation, belling out wires etc and putting in fittings. I'll be the one testing or at least overseeing the testing (one of my subbies is doing his 2391 in July so he'll want to get some testing practice in. Ultimately though, my name will be on the cert.

Swearing is not permitted on this forum:) seriously if customer accepts the quote dont shoot yourself in the foot by doing that unless you are doing it to get more work from recommendations in which case a little swearing is allowed.

Chris

Swearing is not permitted on this forum:) seriously if customer accepts the quote dont shoot yourself in the foot by doing that unless you are doing it to get more work from recommendations in which case a little swearing is allowed.

Chris

Haha!!
Hey Chris! I did rather blaspheme there didn't I? lol

Thing is, they are a lovely couple and I wouldn't want to hose anyone unnecessarily. I also wouldn't mind picking up the contract! :D:D

Did you get the chance to have a look at that pricing sheet I made?

However lovely they may be you still need to eat and that little bit extra you make will help tide you over if things go quiet on you.

Still playing with it very very good must have taken you ages to put together. did you get the cd etc yet .

Chris

16 lights in a 2 bed bungalow, must big a big one :confused:

Well I don't like to brag, Flukey!! :D

Sorry...couldn't resist!

Its not particularly massive but the garage has been converted to be an extra room and every room had a minimum of 2 lights, most actually had 3. Bathroom will be fitted with IP65 down lights too.
Also as many of the rooms are accessible from more than one entry point, most of the lights are 2 way, so i think about 3/4 of a mile of 3 & Earth will be needed!! :D

£750 for a week for a couple of unqualified cable runners? Really? I'm in the wrong line of business, giz a job!

However lovely they may be you still need to eat and that little bit extra you make will help tide you over if things go quiet on you.

Still playing with it very very good must have taken you ages to put together. did you get the cd etc yet .

Chris

Hey Chris,
Yeah I got emailed a link yesterday. Haven't had a chance to open the mail yet.
That XL sheet only took about half an hour to throw together. I have found it really easy to bang quotes together. The bungalow took about 2 mins to quote using it. It was only my dithering that took 2 days!! lol!
I used to sit next to a girl at work who had a worrying obsession with XL and some of it must have rubbed off on me, cos I seem to know far too much about how to use it!! :D

The quote went in tonight. I settled on £3770 inclusive of VAT. I did tell the chap that the quote was for a worst case scenario and if we discovered that the entire house didn't require chasing then we would adjust accordingly. It'd only be a few hundred quid and I would be making a nice return anyway, so hopefully everyone is happy.

£750 for a week for a couple of unqualified cable runners? Really? I'm in the wrong line of business, giz a job!

Haha! They're both qualified, just not Part P. Also I cunningly allowed for 10 days worth of subbies in the quote just in case we run over. :cool:

Anyway I have no problem paying the chaps well as long as I am still making money and it means I can spend longer sitting on my arse!!......That was a joke...I think!! :D

Reply to Quick Pricing Enquiry in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net