Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Twin&earth and SWA installed loose on floor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. StigOfTheDump

StigOfTheDump EF Member

Hi All,
    The contractor working for Magnet Kitchens at my brother's house has run the sockets ring in 2.5 T&E, plus an SWA for the cooker supply, by laying these cables on the floor under the units.
    I'm fairly sure this isn't acceptable - at least these cables should be clipped up against the wall (shouldn't they?).
    We had actually expected the cables to be chased into the wall before the units were fitted, but they've done the electricals and plumbing after the fitout...
    Any thoughts or comments? Many thanks.

View attachment DSC00402.JPG

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Yeeha, why SWA how has he terminated the SWA at the CU and CCU?

3. cliffed

cliffed Regular EF Member

looks a bit rough,bit of Yt2 would suffice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    I have often run cables in flexi conduit under kitchen units, using saddles to keep it in place, it saves chasing the wall out for various bits. once the units are back its unlikely to get damaged. That being said that in your pic looks a bit rough, at very least it ought to be clipped to the wall or be put in some trunking. what will be going in the gap in your pic? washing machine?

5. StigOfTheDump

StigOfTheDump EF Member

SWA was used so they could cross the kitchen without digging up the floor - it goes out of the CU (suspect without an SWA gland), through the wall, around the outside of the property, through the wall and into an isolator inside the cupboard next to the cooker

6. StigOfTheDump

StigOfTheDump EF Member

Dishwasher

7. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    So nil glands? they have used T&E as well so again why SWA? the excuse they gave given is a poor excuse, have they provided any certificates for the electrical work? would love to see that, so it's very doubtful, from the information and pictures it looks like a real Cowboy Job, was the fitter's name Kevin or Buffalo Bill, cuz he sure as heck wasn't an electrician.
    If as you say the contractor worked for a reputable Kitchen supplier, then this electrical butchery should be brought to their eattention, I would imagine (no proof of course) the kitchen outfit belong to one of the CPS schemes, NICEIC etc no idea which one, they need to be contacted as well, I had a new kitchen fitted some years back, and when I aske the fitter how he would do the electrics, he was going to crimp the joints and bury them in the wall, he got short shift from yours truly, and I did it myself, Wifey didn't want any trouble, so I left the complaining alone, a mistake on my part, take these Butchers to task, trading standards, check a trade or whatever one they belong to, get some payback, crikey what a bodge job, makes you wonder how many innocent house holders are conned by these charlatans.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  8. StigOfTheDump

StigOfTheDump EF Member

The job hasn't been signed off or certified yet. Anyway, I'm advising that my brother shouldn't accept this work.
    The contractor was going to do the external run in T&E until my brother (a civil engineer by profession) insisted that SWA be used.

9. StigOfTheDump

StigOfTheDump EF Member

I'm dubious about the rating of the SWA too. It is less than 15mm external diameter (outside the jacket around the armour). Is that likely to be the 6sqmm or 10sqmm conductors required for a cooker supply?

10. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Its not pretty running cables loosely like that, but would you expect the cables to be run in the ceiling void if it was rewired.

I normally run the cables in trunking in that service void, but I do that before the floor units are fitted, so bit difficult in this case. That said, a bit of trunking across this unit, would tidy things up.

11. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

The cable conductor size etc, should be embossed on the sheathing.

Edit; swa has a higher ccc for an equivalent tw&e

12. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    debatable. the cables are supported by the floor. they are not where they are liable to sustain mechanical damage. maybe compliant, but not good practice.

edit: did not see the pic before. that is dog rough. get them back. as advised before, some trunking would tidy it up. and running the SWA outside is just a lazy way of not doing it properly.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    You need to ask the Kitchen company for an Electrical Installation certificate for the work done, post it on this forum for consultation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    I think he will struggle for one of them, at best he might get a dubious minor works certificate....

15. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

could have put it in trunking,
    dam, beaten by Teletext.:D

• Funny Funny x 3