Discuss voltage reading on the nuetral in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

Been to my local campsite to fit a hairdryer in the toilet blocks. Before starting works i ran through a few basic checks as the installation is prettry old. I checked the voltage at the main switch at the board. I got a reading of 216v phase and 10v on the neutral. Has anyone got any suggesstions as to why i would have 10v on the neutral. The supply for the toilet block is a long run from the cutout so i am expecting so volt drop.

Hello all,

Been to my local campsite to fit a hairdryer in the toilet blocks. Before starting works i ran through a few basic checks as the installation is prettry old. I checked the voltage at the main switch at the board. I got a reading of 216v phase and 10v on the neutral. Has anyone got any suggesstions as to why i would have 10v on the neutral. The supply for the toilet block is a long run from the cutout so i am expecting so volt drop.

Load current in the N-wire produces voltdrop.
But 10V is on the high side.

Hello all,

A Hair Dryer not Hand Dryer ? It's been yonks since I camped they have Hair Dryers now things have moved on

Would this stop me from performing an rcd test and struggle to get a zs reading. What realistically could i do to improve this ?

NO. and

No. and

depends how much you want to spend?

to improve your Zs, ask the DNO to upgrade the supply and convert it to TN-C-S
Install bigger cables for your final circuit.
Install bigger cable for your earth cable.

as i see it, and i may be wrong, in a circuit under load, there is a certain volt drop. this VD is on the L and N, but the E is still at 0v. so there will be a small voltage differential between the N and E, relative to the VD of the circuit,

he may not be but i vote him as a prime candidate for 2000v.

How many Kv do you get through a HT on a Quad bike coil ? I split a HT circuit other day while it was running I was dancing around like a crack head with St Vitus dance much to the amusement of my 19 year old kid..FK me it hurt

Didn't know Abu Hamza was a spark.:)

He's not...

500-by-500-abu-hanger-300x300.jpg

OK please explain the physics behind the drawing I don't get it

It's just 3 resistances in series, each one drops voltage across it.

Uo = Supply voltage
R1 = Resistance of Line conductor
Rn = Resistance of Neutral conductor
RL = Resistance of Load

Voltage across Line V1 = Uo * (R1/(R1+RL+R2))

Voltage across Load VL = Uo * (RL/(R1+RL+R2))

Voltage across Neutral Vn = Uo * (Rn/(R1+RL+R2))

V1 + VL + Vn = Uo

Last edited by a moderator:
How many Kv do you get through a HT on a Quad bike coil ? I split a HT circuit other day while it was running I was dancing around like a crack head with St Vitus dance much to the amusement of my 19 year old kid..FK me it hurt

HT from coils is in the region of 15kV.

Reply to voltage reading on the nuetral in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net