Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Why aren't ring circuits banned? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. chronyx

chronyx Regular EF Member

Doing a lot of EICRs in London at the moment and I'd say every other C.U. has a ring circuit with no continuity on one of the conductors.

Seeing as the IET see fit to tinker around the edges constantly with the regs, I struggle to understand why these potentially extremely dangerous circuits are still permitted. Yet bonding and earth conductors have almost doubled in size because, well, they said so.

It's not 1949 anymore. Ban the damn things.

• Like Like x 1
  2. andyb

andyb Electrician's Arms

I like them.

• Like Like x 2
  3. chronyx

I don't.

4. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

Any circuit can be subject to various failures over the years, not just ring finals. Found a radial socket circuit recently with no cpc continuity beyond the first socket. Had it been a ring, there would still have been an earth connected from the other leg.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Wes1000

Wes1000 Regular EF Member

Isn't that the fault of the people who tinker with the circuits without knowing what they are doing. Maybe they should ban them instead.

• Like Like x 9
  6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    I do

• Like Like x 1
  7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I think its horses for courses.... in the "average" house the only rooms where load may be an issue are likely to be the kitchen and utility - so the remaining circuits should all be radials IMHO

• Like Like x 1
  8. chronyx

It doesn't matter who's fault it is, it's an inherently dangerous design. Just like plastic C.U.s apparently were/are.

9. chronyx

Are we really that strapped we can't just run a 4mm radial? :D It's pathetic.

10. chronyx

A 2 second 'Martindale' test would have identified that. (Edit: As opposed to the 'end-to-end' tests that mean dismantling C.U. and circuit)

11. VoltzElectrical

VoltzElectrical Electrician's Arms

I hate Ring Finals. Periodic testing is a pain. We tests some of our public buildings annually for licensing purposes and when there are over 50 distribution boards, the disconnecting and reconnecting of RFD circuits to prove continuity does more harm than good.

This is my opinion, and I appreciate that others feel differently.

• Like Like x 2
  12. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

That would cause a massive price increase on quite a lot of installations as thcable sizes go way up, and potentially cause a loss of redundancy where rings are installed for that purpose.
    Ring circuits are used for a lot more than just domestic socket circuits, they feature ything up to high voltage distribution circuits, where would you draw the line with your 'ban'?

13. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

Rings are very versatile circuits, it's a daft idea to ban them based on finding some with faults. I admit I am inclined to install radials for sockets more often than i used to, but then again I tend to install more circuits in total these days too. Gone are the days when there is one ring serving all the sockets in the house! Although this was the case for many years and I don't remember hearing of loads of houses burning down as a result. In my view, it is testament to the robustness of the ring.

14. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I was really thinking about those shed sold sockets where getting more than 2 x 2.5mm cables in the terminals can be tricky....

• Like Like x 1
  15. chronyx

Crap, we're the only country that uses them.