Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Why aren't ring circuits banned? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. chronyx

chronyx Regular EF Member

Doing a lot of EICRs in London at the moment and I'd say every other C.U. has a ring circuit with no continuity on one of the conductors.

Seeing as the IET see fit to tinker around the edges constantly with the regs, I struggle to understand why these potentially extremely dangerous circuits are still permitted. Yet bonding and earth conductors have almost doubled in size because, well, they said so.

It's not 1949 anymore. Ban the damn things.

• Like Like x 1
  2. andyb

andyb Electrician's Arms

I like them.

• Like Like x 2
  3. chronyx

I don't.

4. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

Any circuit can be subject to various failures over the years, not just ring finals. Found a radial socket circuit recently with no cpc continuity beyond the first socket. Had it been a ring, there would still have been an earth connected from the other leg.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Wes1000

Wes1000 Regular EF Member

Isn't that the fault of the people who tinker with the circuits without knowing what they are doing. Maybe they should ban them instead.

• Like Like x 9
  6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

I do

• Like Like x 1
  7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I think its horses for courses.... in the "average" house the only rooms where load may be an issue are likely to be the kitchen and utility - so the remaining circuits should all be radials IMHO

• Like Like x 1
  8. chronyx

It doesn't matter who's fault it is, it's an inherently dangerous design. Just like plastic C.U.s apparently were/are.

9. chronyx

Are we really that strapped we can't just run a 4mm radial? :D It's pathetic.

10. chronyx

A 2 second 'Martindale' test would have identified that. (Edit: As opposed to the 'end-to-end' tests that mean dismantling C.U. and circuit)

11. VoltzElectrical

VoltzElectrical Electrician's Arms

I hate Ring Finals. Periodic testing is a pain. We tests some of our public buildings annually for licensing purposes and when there are over 50 distribution boards, the disconnecting and reconnecting of RFD circuits to prove continuity does more harm than good.

This is my opinion, and I appreciate that others feel differently.

• Like Like x 2
  12. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

That would cause a massive price increase on quite a lot of installations as thcable sizes go way up, and potentially cause a loss of redundancy where rings are installed for that purpose.
    Ring circuits are used for a lot more than just domestic socket circuits, they feature ything up to high voltage distribution circuits, where would you draw the line with your 'ban'?

13. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

Rings are very versatile circuits, it's a daft idea to ban them based on finding some with faults. I admit I am inclined to install radials for sockets more often than i used to, but then again I tend to install more circuits in total these days too. Gone are the days when there is one ring serving all the sockets in the house! Although this was the case for many years and I don't remember hearing of loads of houses burning down as a result. In my view, it is testament to the robustness of the ring.

14. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I was really thinking about those shed sold sockets where getting more than 2 x 2.5mm cables in the terminals can be tricky....

• Like Like x 1
  15. chronyx

Crap, we're the only country that uses them.

16. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

How about campaigning for greater awareness of the importance of householders regularly having their installations tested rather than banning circuits that the lowest skilled in our trade may have problems with installing and testing ? Do you really want to advocate the continued dumbing down ?

• Like Like x 3
  17. davesparks

Every circuit has the potential to be extremely dangerous if it is not installed and tested properly, why would you single out ring circuits for this?

How old are the circuits you are finding these issues with? Are they reasonably modern circuits which have been fully tested at the time of installation or are they older circuits which may not have been tested at install or have been fiddled with over time?

18. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

I love rings.. yes testing them compared to radials on an eicr is a pain but for me the pros far outweigh he cons! Do you r1/rn & r1/r2 @ every socket with cables crossed at db out of interest?

• Like Like x 1
  19. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

I did identify it, the point is that it had probably been like that for years.

• Like Like x 1
  20. davesparks

I wouldn't know about that, but I do know that my commercial customers have ring circuits installed for the output of static inverters and central battery systems to reduce voltage drop and give redundancy, especially on lower voltage DC circuits.
    Car park lighting or large area lighting also utilises ring circuits to limit volt drop and cable size.
    Distribution circuits, both LV and HV, utilise various forms of ring circuits, mostly for redundancy.

You would sure as hell see a lot more power cuts if a universal ban on ring circuits was applied across the country

• Like Like x 2
  21. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

And 4mm radials are far more limited, fart near the cable and the CCC drops below 32A.

• Like Like x 2
  22. chronyx

All sorts, new colours through to late 1970's stuff.

Yes they will have been modified poorly but that's my point, at least an overloaded radial (As long as the MCB isn't over-rated) will just trip rather than work fine up until the point the smoke starts.

23. chronyx

Is there a CCC chart for 2x2.5mm T&E?

Or do you mean the 100 square metre area allowed of a ring circuit?

24. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

How many ring circuits have you encountered with broken continuity that have been overloaded to the point where the smoke starts ?

• Like Like x 1
  25. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

I mean unless clipped direct, you can't run it on a 32A mcb.

26. chronyx

One today that's why I posted.

I guess I'm just amazed that something that has the potential to cause serious damage is just fine, while we're now told to C3 plastic consumer units and make sure there's RCD protection for near enough everything.

Oh well, clearly in a minority of 1. :D

27. chronyx

Ah gotcha

• Like Like x 1
  28. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

That's not to say that I never use 32A 4mm radials, cos I do. I just think every circuit has it's place and that it comes down to proper design.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    Me too. I fully support and endorse the ring final circuit when used appropriately and correctly.

Rubbish DIY work or incompetent Electricians not verifying circuit integrity is not the fault of the ring final circuit.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    Precisely.

Long live the ring final circuit.

• Like Like x 2
  31. chronyx

OK fine. For the sake of clarity/pedantry I was referring to a 32A ring final circuit, with 2.5mm live conductors and a 1.5mm CPC, in a domestic/unsupervised situation.

32. 7029 dave

7029 dave Trusted Advisor

I like them, because it's ours.Do we really want to go back in time, when 15amp radials were about, with the electric tree growing off it.?
    But the modern radials do have their place in some situations. Just MO.

• Like Like x 1
  33. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Ring final circuits are here to stay like them or not what I really love when testing them are the people who save £5 a year but putting two cpcs through one sleeve, maybe even twisting them together at the same time.

• Like Like x 3
  34. Wes1000

Wes1000 Regular EF Member

Man I hate that!!

35. andyb

andyb Electrician's Arms

That's my favourite type of ring circuit.

36. Hellmooth

Hellmooth Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CM Electrical
    That is the worst, well that and trying to find both legs in a spaghetti junction mess!

• Like Like x 1
  37. Dave OCD

Dave OCD Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Hendry Electrical Services
    It's often much easier to do the end to ends and R1+R2 tests at a convenient socket rather than disconnecting within a 'busy' CU.

• Like Like x 4
  38. valleybilly

valleybilly Scuber Do

Found an immersion heater on a ring this week with only 2 other bedroom sockets on it . The load was 3kw for the heater and all tests are good so as it was an old install and it was an CU change only . Rings Rule !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . PS Did reduce the rcbo to 20 amps

39. davesparks

What's wrong with an immersion heater on a ring? It's been pretty common for decades. I wouldn't do it on a new installation, but see no issue with it as an alteration to an existing install.
    Why reduce the size of the ocpd? Was there something wrong with the circuit?

40. Pat H

Pat H Don't ask, get an Electrician in.

Business Name:
    Sparks of Intelligence
    Immersions on rings should be less of an issue nowadays. With modern Central heating people us a lot less electric heaters so ring loading is often less than it would have been when elec was cheap.

41. westward10

Is is not ideal to have immersions on a ring final but they are nearly always on the lightly loaded bedroom circuit. Can only assume the 20A was put on because it wasn't switched through a FCU?

42. westward10

I have two family members who rely on the immersion for hot water.

43. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

44. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Awhile ago I watched a vid from the Learning Lounge, by Dave Austin (no it's not out on Blue ray) demonstrating testing of a RFC. There was a footnote, that the EU were going to phase out RFC's, can't find a citation for that. But now we have Brexit, we can forget about that :D

45. chronyx

• Like Like x 1