Discuss Wiring a 5 bedroom house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dont be so negative and quick to judge, i was given a list of materials by my sparkie and I thought it would be good to have it checked by someone else to ensure its correct etc.

Hi omoeko. Welcome to the forum.
No one is being negative, (as Murdoch said) just realistic.
Why isn't the electrician getting the parts?

Hi omoeko. Welcome to the forum.
No one is being negative, (as Murdoch said) just realistic.
Why isn't the electrician getting the parts?
Omoeko
No your list the one your Electrician has given you is sadly not a list that a professional Electrician would have provided:
You said in your original post that the cooker is some 10M from the CU (fuseboard) and has specified 10M of cable, that statement alone is confusing, the distance may be 10M but by the time the Electrician had navigated corners obstacles he will undoubtedly find whilst running that circuit would be more like 15M or 16M in length, single cables? whats all that about? 25mm grommets 2.5 3core, shower shaver sockets, all smack (and I'm sorry to be so blunt) of someone who knows little if anything of wiring a domestic dwelling, it's plain to see that the amount of cable someone has specified is not only the wrong sort of cable, but the amount is know where near the amount needed for a 5 bedroom house. This Sparky you talk of where does he come from? because he certainly sounds like knows nothing. nd I'm not being negative, just truthful.

This is what he told me, he measured it and said 10m of cabling to the CU. Excuse my language.

The shaver sockets are things that i have put in so I do not forget.

What cables are the wrong type here ? I have only asked for spot lights, and I dont know if he has made a mistake.

Omoeko
No your list the one your Electrician has given you is sadly not a list that a professional Electrician would have provided:
You said in your original post that the cooker is some 10M from the CU (fuseboard) and has specified 10M of cable, that statement alone is confusing, the distance may be 10M but by the time the Electrician had navigated corners obstacles he will undoubtedly find whilst running that circuit would be more like 15M or 16M in length, single cables? whats all that about? 25mm grommets 2.5 3core, shower shaver sockets, all smack (and I'm sorry to be so blunt) of someone who knows little if anything of wiring a domestic dwelling, it's plain to see that the amount of cable someone has specified is not only the wrong sort of cable, but the amount is know where near the amount needed for a 5 bedroom house. This Sparky you talk of where does he come from? because he certainly sounds like knows nothing. nd I'm not being negative, just truthful.

Why is that ?
They come from a well known electrical distributor.
Where do I start? the single cable you talk of, unless it's insulated AND sheathed, it would be of little use to you unless you intended to run the cables in a continuous conduit system, the 3 core and earth 2.5mm2 you also speak of what is the intended use for that? The SWA as well, is the Garage remote from the 5 bed roomed house? the Fuse board no mention of RCDs, bonding?what size? green earthing what's that? I could go on, but unless you bite the bullet and get a proper professional quotation, you will be wasting 1000s of pounds cash as well as your time. Without any wish to rain on your parade, you clearly have very little idea of what you are doing, or intend doing. Sorry to be so blunt but thats how I see it.

From my notes
Its a conduit system buried into the walls using a channel or something like that.

I thought the 3 core and earth is used for multiple switches ? Not sure.

Also, the 3 core cables isn't that the one used for double sockets etc ? I feel this is the one that someone previously stated is not enough.

Where do I start? the single cable you talk of, unless it's insulated AND sheathed, it would be of little use to you unless you intended to run the cables in a continuous conduit system, the 3 core and earth 2.5mm2 you also speak of what is the intended use for that? The SWA as well, is the Garage remote from the 5 bed roomed house? the Fuse board no mention of RCDs, bonding?what size? green earthing what's that? I could go on, but unless you bite the bullet and get a proper professional quotation, you will be wasting 1000s of pounds cash as well as your time. Without any wish to rain on your parade, you clearly have very little idea of what you are doing, or intend doing. Sorry to be so blunt but thats how I see it.

3 core/E is generally only used for 2/3 way light switching and maybe timer fans ( in a domestic situation ). as for the conduit you mention, it's more usual to use T/E, sometimes with capping, rather than conduit, which requires much deeper chasing and more time.

methinks it's time to get a second quote for the job. apart from concerns about the materials specified, it's common sense anyway. ask any watchdog viewer.

You
From my notes
Its a conduit system buried into the walls using a channel or something like that.

I thought the 3 core and earth is used for multiple switches ? Not sure.

Also, the 3 core cables isn't that the one used for double sockets etc ? I feel this is the one that someone previously stated is not enough.
No mate a solid continuous conduit system is what it is solid no breaks. no sheathing, conduit as in round plastic or metallic conduit. The 3 core cable would be used for 2 way and intermediate switching, BUT 1.5mm2 OR 1.00mm2 NOT 2.5mm2 cable.
2.5mm2, 2 core and earth or whatever size larger than that has been calculated would be used for RFCs feeding 13Amp socket outlets, your post before this only confirms your lack of knowledge, get some, decent contractors in to quote for the work, please.

Pay me for my travel time, time on site, food, accommodation and time already spent telling you what's what and I 'll come visit and give you a decent parts list if that's the way you want to go, extra I could give you a quote for doing the work.

So you are saying 1.5mm 2 core and earth to feed the sockets.
Ahh, this and the 2.5mm cables are the wrong ones then. I will discuss this with him, is there anything else that you feel is worrying ?

You

No mate a solid continuous conduit system is what it is solid no breaks. no sheathing, conduit as in round plastic or metallic conduit. The 3 core cable would be used for 2 way and intermediate switching, BUT 1.5mm2 OR 1.00mm2 NOT 2.5mm2 cable.
2.5mm2, 2 core and earth or whatever size larger than that has been calculated would be used for RFCs feeding 13Amp socket outlets, your post before this only confirms your lack of knowledge, get some, decent contractors in to quote for the work, please.

So you are saying 1.5mm 2 core and earth to feed the sockets.
Ahh, this and the 2.5mm cables are the wrong ones then. I will discuss this with him, is there anything else that you feel is worrying ?

??

Reply to Wiring a 5 bedroom house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net