Discuss Working on live distribution boards? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if I'm asked to work on a live db be it TP or SP lv ,by my employer,as I have done for many many years in cases where the board cannot be isolated for various reasons.
if for some reason I'm electrocuted and I have a hot works permit or not, should my employers insurance cover me for injury,death,loss of work, or should I have my own insurance.
can you get insurance for hot works or not?
i have wondered about this for a while, I have a family now, so if for some reason the worst scenario happens,what happens? What can I or my employer do to cover for this?
can any1 enlighten me

any work that you do should be coverd by a method statement from your employer and there has to be very good reasons for working in a live panel not just be cause it is inconvenient to turn some offices off

your steady hands and your jobs, if you not feeling comfortably doing something then dont do it.
have insulated tools you can trust, work with one hand a time keep another one in your pocket.
or get a big long extension and rig up some temporary supply for the places you need to disconnect.

The term hot work implies using cutting or welding equipment normally or grinders,not live working.Personally I think in a fatality questions would be asked not only regarding the reasons for doing it but also your suitability,I.E if you had any special training.

your steady hands and your jobs, if you not feeling comfortably doing something then dont do it.
have insulated tools you can trust, work with one hand a time keep another one in your pocket.
or get a big long extension and rig up some temporary supply for the places you need to disconnect.
I had a set of tools just for live work and they didn't get used for anything else,last thing you want is to go live and find a damaged tool.

Your employer would surely be breaking the law by even allowing you to work live, the EAW will give you the parameters it's not to be taken lightly, the rules there to protect you. read them don;t work live

If the boards are the old style open bar type then kill them unless you really know what you’re doing. With modern 3Ph boards you would have to doing something stupid to get hurt.

At my place of work we can't do any live tests!!!
Unless the DB is IP2x or it's isolated and temp barriers installed over every possible live part and if that can't be done it's noted as a code 3 and replaced before the next test.

At my place of work we can't do any live tests!!!
Unless the DB is IP2x or it's isolated and temp barriers installed over every possible live part and if that can't be done it's noted as a code 3 and replaced before the next test.
I could see that causing problems in certain situations,however the scenarios wher live working is permitted are becoming more limited this is due partly to more rules and partly due to the amount of people who got killed or injured while working live when its either unnecessary or totally inappropriate.

Just wondering, ask your boss for a Risk Assessment, Safe System of work, see what he/she says when they tell you to work live. It's simple really you shouldn't the EAW lays down the rules and it's a legal document. I'm not sure of the exact words buts something along the lines of only if it's deemed a matter of life or death

Work on or near live conductors

14. No person shall be engaged in any work activity on or so near any live conductor (other than one suitably covered with insulating material so as to prevent danger) that danger may arise unless–

(a)it is unreasonable in all the circumstances for it to be dead; and

(b)it is reasonable in all the circumstances for him to be at work on or near it while it is live; and

(c)suitable precautions (including where necessary the provision of suitable protective equipment) are taken to prevent injury.

section from EAWR on live working.

I totally agree that's what I've always said, it's ok for the fat f*** asking me to just do it,it's only through years of experience that I can, but it only takes 1 occasion to finish me off and for what, because they don't want to shut a server room down!!

I totally agree that's what I've always said, it's ok for the fat f*** asking me to just do it,it's only through years of experience that I can, but it only takes 1 occasion to finish me off and for what, because they don't want to shut a server room down!!
Thats the thing Dave and when your wife's a widow he'll turn round and say "I told him it must be turned off and as far as I was aware it was".

Reply to Working on live distribution boards? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net