Discuss 2.5mm on 32A MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In design terms cable must carry less than or equal to the protective device. i.e. 32a protecting a 17a ccc does not meet this criteria. Look up Ib In and try not to make me do it please :)

Look up non-fused spurs from an RFC. Haven't got the regs in front of me but would be interested to see what they say. Appendix 15. Daz

Appendix 15 shows one double socket is ok only. That is in 2.5, but I think if I came across that I would advise the client this is potentially hazardous, and in design terms fails on 433.1.1 although I could just about believe one double socket may not overload 6 sockets have a high potential to do so. Anyway if I was installing the circuit I would no way do it that way.

Appendix 15 shows one double socket is ok only. That is in 2.5, but I think if I came across that I would advise the client this is potentially hazardous, and in design terms fails on 433.1.1 although I could just about believe one double socket may not overload 6 sockets have a high potential to do so. Anyway if I was installing the circuit I would no way do it that way.

But the OP says it IS one double socket fed from the 2.5mm Daz

In bah humbug mode - I think the max length by reg xyz is 3m :)
I'm not sure there is a regulation stipulating max length. I think the 3m length reg you are thinking of is specifically for pendants with smaller flex.

So a scenario: you need to install an extractor fcu and the ONLY circuit you have accessible to take it off is the cooker on a 32A breaker. Does that mean you take it from the cooker point in 4mm+ to the fcu, or would you take it in 2.5?

I'm not sure there is a regulation stipulating max length. I think the 3m length reg you are thinking of is specifically for pendants with smaller flex.

So a scenario: you need to install an extractor fcu and the ONLY circuit you have accessible to take it off is the cooker on a 32A breaker. Does that mean you take it from the cooker point in 4mm+ to the fcu, or would you take it in 2.5?

I think 433.2.2 gives us up to 3m grace (if I'm reading it right) to use the smaller cable to get to the fcu. I was thinking there had to be some give and take in the scenario you mention, but what limits it? 433.2.2 was all I found. Always happy to learn though :)

To shove 2.5 conductors in with 6.0 is just plain poor practice.

I seem to remember someone starting a thread, annoyed at people stating something was 'Good practise', but here's a personnel statement that something is 'Poor practise'. You can't have it both ways :)
I agree. Also, it would be nice to have something more like, "I think that is poor practice because....".

I often see things which I think may not be the best way of doing something, but I can't automatically C2 it because I don't like it!

Reply to 2.5mm on 32A MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net