Discuss Adding 20Amp outlet on 30Amp breaker: Can I Use this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Fatalcast

DIY
Reaction score
I have a 30amp breaker that feeds a circuit that goes through a double gang junction box and continues on to the final outlet for my electric clothes dryer. Since the junction box is accessible to potentially use, I was wondering if I can add a 20amp circuit breaker in that junction box to connect to a 20amp outlet. In essence my thinking would be that I am using that junction box as a mini sub panel to safely protect the outlet.

Soo , with that said. I have a 20amp Square D breaker that I could fashion a box cover to accommodate the breaker switch and outlet and secure the wires internally and wrap with tape. Or I was wondering if I can use this push button breaker that would allow a cleaner install, but I need to make sure it would work with 120vac normal household electricity.
I have looked at the smallest subpanel boxes but they are still somewhat big to have inside in my laundry room.

Any advice, suggestions, other device that can be used Is much appreciated.
Thanks

20a push button breaker.JPG

I have a 30amp breaker that feeds a circuit that goes through a double gang junction box and continues on to the final outlet for my electric clothes dryer. Since the junction box is accessible to potentially use, I was wondering if I can add a 20amp circuit breaker in that junction box to connect to a 20amp outlet. In essence my thinking would be that I am using that junction box as a mini sub panel to safely protect the outlet.

Soo , with that said. I have a 20amp Square D breaker that I could fashion a box cover to accommodate the breaker switch and outlet and secure the wires internally and wrap with tape. Or I was wondering if I can use this push button breaker that would allow a cleaner install, but I need to make sure it would work with 120vac normal household electricity.
I have looked at the smallest subpanel boxes but they are still somewhat big to have inside in my laundry room.

Any advice, suggestions, other device that can be used Is much appreciated.
Thanks

View attachment 62994
You are not allowed to build your on junction box or panel. It has to be UL listed and your dryer needs to be on it’s own circuit with no taps off of it

Reply to Adding 20Amp outlet on 30Amp breaker: Can I Use this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net