Discuss charging multiple electrical devices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

David Waterman

Hi,

I am frustrated by the lack of electrical outlets in my bathroom. I realise there is an electric shock hazard and that is the reason behind this problem. However, I don't see why I can't plug all my devices in at the same time so they can charge, even if they charge one-at-a-time. Isn't it a simple enough matter to time share the supply to multiple plugs?

Is there some risk I'm missing here?

I find myself also wondering why things like shavers and toothbrushes can't charge via a USB outlet too. Of course, I'm presuming there that the risk is lower from a USB socket than the usual one - I know many USB chargers can supply quite a lot of current, and even at 5V that is probably some risk, but they don't have to supply a lot of current, I imagine.

What do you think?

Max.

I can't understand UK regs where you are not allowed to have a mains socket in the bathroom say positioned in a unit away from the water where you can charge your shaver/nutsack trimmer/electric toothbrush etc etc

When visiting Poland they usually have the washing machine located in the bathroom........

There are appliances designed to be used in "wet" spaces. But as regs generally don't allow that few UK suppliers will offer such machines.

USB in a bathroom isn't great as the sockets don't perform well in the wet.

There are appliances designed to be used in "wet" spaces. But as regs generally don't allow that few UK suppliers will offer such machines.

USB in a bathroom isn't great as the sockets don't perform well in the wet.

In a well ventilated and insulated bathroom that doesn't suffer from condensation I can't really see any issues with a double socket hidden away in a hanging unit. If you know what I mean..........

USB sockets still have there issues as its still a "newish" tech with a range of power ratings.

If we can have one socket, then the *number* of sockets shouldn't matter (within reason), no? Surely the regulations only apply to sockets *with power*, and if you switch them on one-at-a-time, then that's not a concern, is it?

It's not much of a hardship to walk out of the bathroom and plug in the items that need charging somewhere else is it?
The vast majority of uk bathrooms will only have a shaver socket in them, which will have something written on it telling you that it is to be used for shavers only so there is nowhere to plug any chargers in.

It's not much of a hardship to walk out of the bathroom and plug in the items that need charging somewhere else is it?
The vast majority of uk bathrooms will only have a shaver socket in them, which will have something written on it telling you that it is to be used for shavers only so there is nowhere to plug any chargers in.

Would you want to make your toast and boil the kettle in your living room, not much hardship just inconvenient.

Shouldn't the REGs be updated in this day and age as bathroom design has moved forward in the last 40 years, as an example my bathroom is well insulated and heated no issues with condensation, pan, sink and wall units all wall hung. Times change time to move on.

Shouldn't the REGs be updated in this day and age as bathroom design has moved forward in the last 40 years, as an example my bathroom is well insulated and heated no issues with condensation, pan, sink and wall units all wall hung. Times change time to move on.

We can't really base any change of the regs around your bathroom though can we ?

Lol, a well insulated warm bathroom shifts the need from plugging in the three bar open heater to plugging in the oscillating cooling fan over the bath.
And if you ask - is there anyone stupid enough to do that , I think most of us know the answer.

I personally don't like sockets in bathrooms, especially where there are showers. You'd be surprised how much moisture there is in the air after a hot shower. Even when a fan is fitted it still takes time to clear it afterwards. I certainly wouldn't want anyone switching a socket on/off or plugging something in while all that steam/condensation was around.

It is a pita to find a round-pin socket anywhere else in the house; so, yes, I'd say it's a 'hardship'.

I'm not talking about plugging anything in that isn't already meant to be used in a bathroom. For example, I have a shaver *and* a toothbrush, and I'd quite like to keep them plugged in all the time, or at least to be able to plug them both in overnight so they are fully charged in the morning. They don't need to be both charging at the same time, since they don't take all night to charge - just needs a 'smart socket' to switch them half way through the night, or something.

It works well it European countries without issues and has done for years so there must be a way to get around these issues.

It is a pita to find a round-pin socket anywhere else in the house; so, yes, I'd say it's a 'hardship'.

I'm not talking about plugging anything in that isn't already meant to be used in a bathroom. For example, I have a shaver *and* a toothbrush, and I'd quite like to keep them plugged in all the time, or at least to be able to plug them both in overnight so they are fully charged in the morning. They don't need to be both charging at the same time, since they don't take all night to charge - just needs a 'smart socket' to switch them half way through the night, or something.

You're over-complicating things here. Do what I do - buy two 'shaver adaptors' and plug them into a bedroom double socket. Both appliances then charge safely. I don't see the necessity of charging them in the bathroom.

It works well it European countries without issues and has done for years so there must be a way to get around these issues.

There are ways to get round anything. And there are also usually good reasons for not doing so.

As said, you could use a round pin adapter anywhere in your house, or just remember to charge your bathrooms items. My electric toothbrushes and shaver tend to last about 5 days before needing charging, I've never felt the need to charge them simultaneously or sequentially.

Would you want to make your toast and boil the kettle in your living room, not much hardship just inconvenient.

That is not in any way a comparable situation, the kitchen is a room designed for cooking in, so it's reasonable to expect to have the necessary power available there.

Maybe the regs should be updated, in my opinion there are a lot of things in the regulations which need reviewing. But as it stands at the moment the regulations are what they are.
Times have indeed changed and these days I don't think there's many mains powered shavers out there, so maybe it's time to do away with the shaver sockets since shavers are generally battery powered now?

Oddly enough the last shaver I bought came with a 13A plug type charger and not a two pin one. However prior to that they all came with a 13A adaptor for the two pin plug.

Why not stagger the charging so that you charge each item on a different day or night? I can't imagine that the battery is drained enough to require charging every night is it?

You're over-complicating things here. Do what I do - buy two 'shaver adaptors' and plug them into a bedroom double socket. Both appliances then charge safely. I don't see the necessity of charging them in the bathroom.

...except that what you suggest is more complicated than my solution, where I *don't* take things from the bathroom to the bedroom all the time, nor do I need any adaptors other than those that are there (assuming my proposal is plausible).

Oddly enough the last shaver I bought came with a 13A plug type charger and not a two pin one. However prior to that they all came with a 13A adaptor for the two pin plug.

Why not stagger the charging so that you charge each item on a different day or night? I can't imagine that the battery is drained enough to require charging every night is it?

That's what I do do...it's annoying, not just to actually do (or more likely forget to do), but with plugs hanging and/or falling on the floor, it's messy and an ugly solution.

Reply to charging multiple electrical devices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net