Discuss I thought short courses were fine. Just done a week on site. Now i think they're not fit for purpose. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

When I made the decision to join the electrical trade in 2007 I ended up doing a 16 week course that got me a level 2 qualification, although this taught me the theory it was soon apparent that my lack of practical skills were going to be an issue, from there I decided to take an apprenticeship to complete my level 3 and NVQ (3 years to complete) and quickly told myself that however quickly I could gain the qualifications on paper it was the practical side of the work that was more important, Whilst it is great to have lots of qualifications on paper they soon lose there appeal if all it is is a bit of paper,

keep going with the path you have chosen it is definitely the right one
Thanks mate, glad it worked out for you!

Variety of work is the key to experience and you hopefully are going to get it. Some you will hate and find tedious and others you will want more.
I already figured out I don't like running cables but I do like any work that is cosmetic - so anything that's seen - sockets, switches, lights, trunking, any of that. I get real satisfaction from using the right tools and doing the job properly. When everything's level and neat.

Factories can be daunting places and a 120.0 swa is laughing at you no matter what you do. Drink it all in opportunity of a lifetime.
It depends on your pedigree

I would be more unsure of my self on a building site than in a factory

I used to be intimidated by certain things and was plagued with self doubt

Then I realised everyone has a different skill set.

I used to think panel builders were streets ahead of me,but then I seen them freak out whenever they actually tried to fault find on a running machine

No-one has it all, and by the time you do, you're ready to retire

The difference between the sort of basic domestic install we're reasonably familiar with and what's really out there is mind boggling and I love it.

A week or two back I was telling you to keep knocking doors as eventually you'll knock the right one and it sounds like you've done just that.

Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.

The difference between the sort of basic domestic install we're reasonably familiar with and what's really out there is mind boggling and I love it.

A week or two back I was telling you to keep knocking doors as eventually you'll knock the right one and it sounds like you've done just that.

Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.
Cheers mate.

Great, honest post.

It really doesn’t mater how much you pay these training centres they can’t offer you the opportunity of a real life situation. My present apprentice often has ‘joey moments‘ where things I’ve explained in the past combined with college learning suddenly all come together and he gets it.

Are you going to be put on a apprenticeship course at college or the adult learners scheme? We are just taking on another apprentice. He’s 47! And we have to decide which way he should go with the theory learning.

BTW after reading your other post please buy a proving unit and tester if you’re employer won’t supply them to you. If money is tight I may have a spare one to send you.

Good luck with your journey.

Great, honest post.

It really doesn’t mater how much you pay these training centres they can’t offer you the opportunity of a real life situation. My present apprentice often has ‘joey moments‘ where things I’ve explained in the past combined with college learning suddenly all come together and he gets it.

Are you going to be put on a apprenticeship course at college or the adult learners scheme? We are just taking on another apprentice. He’s 47! And we have to decide which way he should go with the theory learning.

BTW after reading your other post please buy a proving unit and tester if you’re employer won’t supply them to you. If money is tight I may have a spare one to send you.

Good luck with your journey.
Very kind of you good sir but i literally just got back from screwfix 10 mins ago with my new Fluke testing unit. Cannae be too safe.

Not sure about what route but i know my local college do a day release so i think that'd most likely be the best option. I'd even consider doing evening classes so i could work full time instead of having the 1 day a week off at college.

Will have to wait and figure it all out once i'm officially on board at work, which i reckon will happen since i've had a proper induction, been given all my PPE, done a CRB check and even been offered a van. Fingers crossed!

This thread gives an interesting alternative view on the short courses and their potential short comings from someone who is actually on the sharp end, I'm looking forward to the updates as you progress and how long it will be before you are knocking the short courses as a seasoned professional
Not sure about what route but i know my local college do a day release so i think that'd most likely be the best option. I'd even consider doing evening classes so i could work full time instead of having the 1 day a week off at college.
I would stick with the day release 2 or 3 evenings a week is hard going after a full day onsite, I did the final year of my C&G C certificate 3 evenings per week at college and it was hard going by the time you throw in some homework

Good luck with your journey and I hope it is all you expect it to be

Reply to I thought short courses were fine. Just done a week on site. Now i think they're not fit for purpose. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net