Discuss Level of qualification needed to obtain licence? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm not saying licencing is the only way, but it is a far better solution that what we have now. In esscence, it is about making sure that every electrician throughout the country who turns up on someones doorstep or turns up on a building site is FULLY qualified. It works well for gas, it is cheaper for the contractor, a stricter assessment not based on money, safer for the end consumer and the enforcement side of it actually has some teeth, so why would it not work for electricity?

But, fully qualified has to be defined? Would it be retrospective or soley based on a new qualification? Who provides the qualifications? Do they have vested interests?
I agree the whole thing is a mess, but scape goating a certain section ie. Electrical Trainee, is whats known as divide and concore. Unity is obviously strength, but lets face it electricians seem more interested in cutting each others throats than sticking together or an i being unfair?

Ok if thats what you want to happen, then what if the required qualification is a so called new one at the cost of £3000, do you not think that the forum would be filled with people saying how this is a travesty and how they can stick the new qualification?

Im not and i'll say it again, NOT, sticking up for short course entry into competent person registers. Im saying be careful what your asking for, because it may impact financially on the qualified 2360 2391 2382 or what ever qualification you have electrician,

Why do you think it is likely to cost £3k a lot of people have already invested a lot of time and money gaining qualifications and not by the quick route or is this the result of kicking out the established scams and some one else making a quick buck

Most of your Electrical Trainee would never reach the requirements of the JIB, I see it on here all the time, how can I, why can't I, why won't they grade me please help it makes me laugh

Also I dont think thats fair to say its the standard of teaching thats got worse. You would have to teach the sylabus, if the syalbus is poor the training is poor. Plus a lot of training is done in private training centres whos sole objective is a quick turn around not education.

Why do you think it is likely to cost £3k a lot of people have already invested a lot of time and money gaining qualifications and not by the quick route or is this the result of kicking out the established scams and some one else making a quick buck

Well for instance, how much would it cost me to get an NVQ3 now £1000s ??
If it became mandatory the price wont go down.
Justed looked £6990 woops may be £2990

Well for instance, how much would it cost me to get an NVQ3 now £1000s ??
If it became mandatory the price wont go down.
Justed looked £6990 woops may be £2990

By your own words

The Not very qualified 3, focusing on your ability to photograph yourself, whilst conducting an insulation resistance test? Or the wonderful test board with its real “life sized” circuits to test.

What a worthless certificate (it can't be called a qualification) even if it cost a tenner

I know of someone who went for a job in another industry and didn't get it because they didn't have an NVQ3 even though they were an NVQ3 assessor

Also I dont think thats fair to say its the standard of teaching thats got worse. You would have to teach the sylabus, if the syalbus is poor the training is poor. Plus a lot of training is done in private training centres whos sole objective is a quick turn around not education.

Most of these training providers create a course make up their own sylabus and get C&G to give it a number for a fee
The training system is just one incestuous money making conspiracy these days as they all seem to be the same

Again perhaps Im cynical, but the NVQ has been pushed to be the must have qualification and perhaps its is good for an apprentice or someone just starting out and shows valuable hands on stuff to be assessed etc. But as we all know it is used as a barrier for qualified and experienced electricians who do not possess it aka JIB.....IMO this will increase with a licence system and previously qualified electricians like myself with 2360 and 2391 will be classed as trainees or worse still unable to trade without splashing out on an expensive un-needed NVQ3

21 pages so far about a proposed system to licence electricians.
Why?
The system has been in place for years and years.

JIB Labourer
JIB Electrician
JIB Approved Electrician
JIB Technician Electrician

Boydy

The JIB scheme monitors qualifications and grades accordingly , where else does this happen , all these scheming parasites that live off your backs calling themselves approved bodies do the complete opposite and let any one able to pass a 2 hour quiz once year , with just a 17th course behind them , they are allowed to do trade and bring the whole trade down .

Hey not wanting to cast aspertions, but the JIB have quite a dubious past & present or so I've read..Besna..blacklisting....a little snippet....

In conclusion the JIB promised an industry of benefits, training, welfare, industrial harmony but in reality became an industry of have-a-bash electrics, of mass sackings, an industry of workers in which 95% of workforces would be employed via agencies, where companies install their own union reps, .....blah blah blah.....

Still the best system we've got IMO up yours scams lol

Exactly , because without it , what else have we got , imagine what it would be like if it weren't there, yes it needs improving a bit , but what else is there,
We need a central register yes but if this system were improved then that would help us all I'm sure

Okay, I'm in the process of removing all the tax references which are generally unnecessary and off topic in this thread as well.

Stay on topic and keep the discussion about the subject matter and not about other specific members.

But, fully qualified has to be defined? Would it be retrospective or soley based on a new qualification?

How about starting with the current core qualification the 2365? It can be retrospective to include equivalents such as the 2330 or the 2360. There would be absolutely no need for a new qualification.

Who provides the qualifications?

City & Guilds

Do they have vested interests?

No (that's not to say that they're perfect though)

I agree the whole thing is a mess, but scape goating a certain section ie. Electrical Trainee, is whats known as divide and conquer.

No, it's called looking out for public safety

Unity is obviously strength, but lets face it electricians seem more interested in cutting each others throats than sticking together or an i being unfair?

Yes, you are. If every single Electrical Trainee operating now, who was acedemically able, went and got themselves fully qualified, then I would be a happy chappy!

Reply to Level of qualification needed to obtain licence? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net