Discuss Metal enclosure for DP Isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electric Magic

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi

Due to the location of the meter on an upcoming job I am installing a new consumer unit in a space where there will be a full height kitchen cupboard and am exploring ways to run the meter tails up (from about 1m directly beneath in the bottom of the cupboard) to the CU (ideally the client would like usable shelves in between so am not going with visible singles as they might get damaged). SWA seems to be the least intrusive option space wise and wouldn't interfere with the cupboard at all as I could run it in a chase. I was thinking of fitting a DP isolator next to the meter but I've not fitted one with a metal enclosure before (which will be necessary if I'm terminating SWA in it of course) - any suggestions for a DP isolator with a metal enclosure?

Also, as an aside, does anyone know whether DP isolators are being counted as "similar switchgear assemblies" regarding 421.1.201? Perhaps not if the regulation and BYB of switchgear can be taken literally (given that an assembly is a group) but wondered what others thought/have heard.

Thanks

If im picturing this correct.. The dno cutout is in a tall kitchen cupboard and cu is 1m approx higher.? Y the hell would you wire this in swa??? Tails all the way and straight into meter or dno cutout if provided.. If shelves are installed trunking over tails and cut grove in back of shelve.!! Swa seems very strange approach to me

Hi

Due to the location of the meter on an upcoming job I am installing a new consumer unit in a space where there will be a full height kitchen cupboard and am exploring ways to run the meter tails up (from about 1m directly beneath in the bottom of the cupboard) to the CU (ideally the client would like usable shelves in between so am not going with visible singles as they might get damaged). SWA seems to be the least intrusive option space wise and wouldn't interfere with the cupboard at all as I could run it in a chase. I was thinking of fitting a DP isolator next to the meter...

Why not keep the job simple and cheap? Run ordinary insulated and sheathed tails up the wall in mini trunking. No additional switchgear required. No risk of damage to the cables. The kitchen fitter will just have to cut a notch in the back edge of the shelves to clear the trunking. Unless the unit has a recessed back, in which case there's no extra woodwork required.

Edit:I see that bigspark is of the same opinion.

Last edited:
If im picturing this correct.. The dno cutout is in a tall kitchen cupboard and cu is 1m approx higher.? Y the hell would you wire this in swa??? Tails all the way and straight into meter or dno cutout if provided.. If shelves are installed trunking over tails and cut grove in back of shelve.!! Swa seems very strange approach to me

Customer would prefer to avoid interfering with the cabinet itself if possible (except where meter and CU are) so am just trying to plan ahead, but I'll make the final decision about how to run the tails after they confirm what kitchen they are having installed.

I'd definitely just hide normal tails in the void behind the cupboard backboard - in fact I'd try to bring all the CU cabling in from the back, no problem achieving required IP ratings at all then.

Well if the customer would rather fork out £100+ in materials and lots more hours fitting swa and metal clad isolator than notch one or two shelves then more fool them! Your complicating what is an extremely straight forwad job

Yes but that is not applicable in this scenario

I guess it depends upon how "partition" as used in 522.6.202 is defined (and then of course how deep the service void is). I generally err on the side of caution, and I'd call the back of a cabinet a partition if there is a gap at the back between it and the wall, but if you can conclusively show me otherwise I'll happily change my mind (like others have said it may save me some time and save the client some money - though I think £100+ is an exaggeration).

Reply to Metal enclosure for DP Isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net