Discuss Meter Tails 16mm 0r 25mm in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Whilst everyone is jollying about pulling the service fuse, may i point out that,

SOME service fuses are reasonably old and can basically fall apart in your hands as you pull the carrier.

If in any doubt DONT DO IT.

Thinking your working safe could end up killing you.

Whilst everyone is jollying about pulling the service fuse, may i point out that,

SOME service fuses are reasonably old and can basically fall apart in your hands as you pull the carrier.

quite right jason. use your discression when deciding to pull it. think ive been lucky so far as all have come out as expected ;)

You are supposed to get them to pull the fuse (its their equipment) but i always do it my self problems start at the main fuse if youre up rating the tails from the meter to the consumer unit then you should also change them from the incomong supply point ( the fused inlet)Probably stating the obvious burt rememmber the meter is wired live neutral neutral live good luck you obviously can't seal the job but to be honest most work i come across the meter is never sealed any way good luck phil S

I have never given a thought to pulling the main fuse and would always do it as its the only practical way of getting the job done HOWEVER dont go altering any tails on dno side as suggested above, fit a isolator and your new tails to db and reconnect dno side into isolator and if you think they in a bad way just report it to them, ive worked under dno authority for a long time and yeah service fuse seals tend to be overlooked but you really shouldnt be altering any of their equipment.

This happened to a spark either last year or year before, he ended up with a hand full of live fuse and it killed him.

I never pull the fuse i prefer to pull the meter tails out with very good vde 10kv pliers.

This happened to a spark either last year or year before, he ended up with a hand full of live fuse and it killed him.

I never pull the fuse i prefer to pull the meter tails out with very good vde 10kv pliers.
I was working with a bloke that done that,guess what happened.He never told me what he did and i got a nice belt.Lucky the customer was out of the house,tails were at head height.He wouldn't cut the seal.I ended up cutting the seal and you are allowed to cut the seal if it's an emergency.:eek:

I tend to not cut the fuse unless its newish,as above been doing it live for yonks and never had a problem yet.

just remember to remove the cables in the right order.

I was changing meter tails between service head and meter when bloke from elec board came around to read the meter. Had put new tails in between head and meter, then meter to new isolator, but the main fuse was still out. The bloke didn't seem to care. Asked me to put the fuse in for a second in order to read the digital meter, then was quite happy for me to remove it again. Didn't ask at all about broken seals. Maybe i was very lucky.

I was changing meter tails between service head and meter when bloke from elec board came around to read the meter. Had put new tails in between head and meter, then meter to new isolator, but the main fuse was still out. The bloke didn't seem to care. Asked me to put the fuse in for a second in order to read the digital meter, then was quite happy for me to remove it again. Didn't ask at all about broken seals. Maybe i was very lucky.

Why would you want to renew/upgrade the supply networks equipment
Better it cost them than you
Also its not very common to do so,they could prosecute you theoretically

Working live has never bothered me,but I would not encourage anybody to do so
We break the law when we do so.but I believe in individual responsibility and being careful whilst confident in carrying it out

Thats my excuse and Im sticking to it:)

Peter if you are in any dout as to weather to remove the suppliers cut out. dont be. Basicly the electricity at work act says that every installation has to be provided with a means of isolation for safe working. So if the supllier has provided a means of isolation ie a swich or the meter with a built in isolator (not designed to be switch under load) then all is fine but if they have only provided a cut out and meter then they can not argue why you have cut their seal and removed the fuse. what do they expect you to change the tails LIVE!?????
Hope this helps
Regards
AJ;)

Hi
If you change a fuse board do you have to change the tails.

Thanks

Mark

fit a isolator take existing tails and feed into top of isolator and run new 25mm from bottom to db that way if anything needs upgrading its dno side and you havent broke seal and gone inside meter.

If you change the CU,you should upgrade the tails to 25mm,only from the meter to the CU.

Hi
But on the advice of the NIC you cannot do this as this would mean breaking the LEB Clip which the NIC say you should not do.

Thanks

Mark

Hi
But on the advice of the NIC you cannot do this as this would mean breaking the LEB Clip which the NIC say you should not do.

Thanks

Mark

Hi
Can anyone tell me the best pace to buy a 17th Edition C/B

Thanks

Mark

fit a isolator take existing tails and feed into top of isolator and run new 25mm from bottom to db that way if anything needs upgrading its dno side and you havent broke seal and gone inside meter.

Hi
But we are defeating the object 16mm to 25mm as long as i upgrade to the same size board the old tails should be fine.

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
But we are defeating the object 16mm to 25mm as long as i upgrade to the same size board the old tails should be fine.

Thanks

Mark
thats not you problem. your tails should be 25mm. dno can upgrade from meter so you dont have to break their seal. easiest option is as described ;)

Reply to Meter Tails 16mm 0r 25mm in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net