Discuss Meter Tails 16mm 0r 25mm in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you do it that way then the existing tails will be live unless you CUT the seal on the cut out:eek:
quite right mac, ive already said i cut fuse seal, dont cut meter ones though so my tails would be dead ;)
would never condone working live for any reason, very bad practice :eek::eek:

Sorry mate,might be a thick,why would you cut the seal at the cut out and install an isolator.Should that not be down to the DNO.If you cut the seal on the cut out,why not the meter and just replace the tails from there.:confused:

Sorry mate,might be a thick,why would you cut the seal at the cut out and install an isolator.Should that not be down to the DNO.If you cut the seal on the cut out,why not the meter and just replace the tails from there.:confused:
most dno will believe there was no seal on the cut out, they dont when its the meter but then you should know that :confused: i leave meter alone and fit either a henley block or isolator so my installation conforms without having the hassle of getting dno to remove their seals ;) then they can come at their leisure to connect into THEIR meter

Last edited:
most dno will believe there was no seal on the cut out, they dont when its the meter but then you should know that :confused: i leave meter alone and fit either a henley block or isolator so my installation conforms without having the hassle of getting dno to remove their seals ;) then they can come at their leisure to connect into THEIR meter
I agree with you mate,but i have always replaced the tails from the meter if they were 16mm.

All the equipment up to and including the meter belongs to the DNO.

However, SOME or should i say most are "not bothered" if the seals are cut on the cutout, as long as you replace it.

They will "be very bothered" if you cut the seals on the meter, as this can raise their suspicions of tampering.

Yes i agree with what you say Jason,but there was a post a couple of months ago by an ex-DNO inspector stating you can cut the seals in an emergency.Changing a CU is an emergency,because of live working.I'll try and find the post.

Its illegal to cut the seals,but in reality,they know ,we know and its generally accepted that the practice goes on and will continue
If they are that concerned,then in order for sanity to be maintained,they should be forced to supply an isolator after their meter,there would be no doubts to concern ourselves with then

Its illegal to cut the seals,but in reality,they know ,we know and its generally accepted that the practice goes on and will continue
If they are that concerned,then in order for sanity to be maintained,they should be forced to supply an isolator after their meter,there would be no doubts to concern ourselves with then
Totally agree mate

Then you are in breach of the Electricity at Work Regulations.

Correct sir:rolleyes:

But what are the options,mmmmmmm,let me see,ask dno to fit isolator so i can work safe,they might get around to it in 6 months maybe less.

Turn the job down as i cant do it safeley,i think not,.

I cant beleive some of you mamby pamby so called sparks,as long as you know what you are doing whats the problem???????

The dno dont have any right to seal anyones meter tails as they are the customers property,and as for sealing,i got a nice kit off ebay for around ten squid and it was the NIC that recomended it:p

I allso wear my nice new 10kv marigolds when changing tails live,its amazing what you can get when ya mate works for EON.:D

Correct sir:rolleyes:

But what are the options,mmmmmmm,let me see,ask dno to fit isolator so i can work safe,they might get around to it in 6 months maybe less.

Turn the job down as i cant do it safeley,i think not,.

I cant beleive some of you mamby pamby so called sparks,as long as you know what you are doing whats the problem???????

The dno dont have any right to seal anyones meter tails as they are the customers property,and as for sealing,i got a nice kit off ebay for around ten squid and it was the NIC that recomended it:p

I allso wear my nice new 10kv marigolds when changing tails live,its amazing what you can get when ya mate works for EON.:D
cut the meter seal and work safely, OR dont cut the seal and risk electrocution :eek:
bit of a no brainer for me that one :rolleyes:

my personal opinion is that once you join a competant persons scheme like nic napit etc then on membership you should be given a training session and issued a set of crimps, that way cutting seals is no longer an issue and greater control would exist on non compliance by diy non registered people carrying out electrical work.

but to the point concerned, pulling the service is a very dangerous practice althogh it is not given a second thought by any competant electrician and rightly or wrongly you need to isolate somehow.
however cutting seals on any other equipment is frowned upon it is not a matter of a safety issue to open a meter up you re in effect illegaly tampering with dno equipment and you cant argue that you needed to isolate the supply for your safety.

course weve got to pull cutout sometimes but gotta be careful
do none of you ever heer of supply reverses. not often but sometimes wot you gonna do then in middle of changes
never change anything supplyers side of metre

Totally agree mate

Well i had to replace some tails that the plumbers managed to drill through as the tails were in the cavity wall running vertically from board to o/s box. when i got NEDL to replace fuse he gave me hell on why i had cut the seal even though he could see the massive scorch marks on the wall from the drill. wot a bunch of ******s they are. he even took my company name and addy down too. he told me that even though i'm a spark, i'm not under any circumstances allowed to cut seals and only they can touch the service fuse. wot a load of crap. been re wiring and replacing boards for yrs and pulliung fuses out as well. my saftey comes 1st. sod them.

Don't guidelines say when replacing a consumer unit you have to replace tails as well? And as you're doing that, you need to cut the seal to the meter to install the new 25mm tails.

I always pull the fuse and change the tails, thereby cutting both seals. A quick call to the leccy company to get the seal replaced and everyone's happy, although generally they're not very interested.

Don't guidelines say when replacing a consumer unit you have to replace tails as well? And as you're doing that, you need to cut the seal to the meter to install the new 25mm tails.

I always pull the fuse and change the tails, thereby cutting both seals. A quick call to the leccy company to get the seal replaced and everyone's happy, although generally they're not very interested.
Hi and welcome to the forum:DSpot on with that mate:)

Reply to Meter Tails 16mm 0r 25mm in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net