Discuss New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You could add a second box that is big enough replace the fuse box, but have the spare ways blanked off. Then, in the future, move the circuits from old box to new.
I was just going to post something similar, but I'll repeat littlespark's post instead.
The existing fusebox is in a position that is unacceptable to comply with current regs and recommendations so mount the a new one of sufficient capacity to serve the whole house in an acceptable position, preferably moving the incoming supply to feed it, and then feeding the existing board temporarily from the new, via a RCD or RCBO. If this results in this RCD tripping, then that just proves that a part of the original wiring is in a dangerous condition, and obviously this will need to be addressed immediately.
Some might question connecting the whole original board as a 'final circuit' from the new board, if this 'circuit' does not comply with modern regs., but this is where I consider a qualified electrician should be able to over rule the letter of the regs with his expertise.

^ you're right there ,I shouldnt have called 1st fix a rewire , it may just be extending kitchen circuits as you say

In my world when a builder gives an all inclusive price , he's included his electricians price plus a markup

At the dodgier end of the business some builders will be hiring unqualified guys to boost their overall profit, never really heard of this with respectable builders
Guys,
the builders electrician will be doing 1st & 2nd fix electrics in the kitchen & changing the fusebox, however he said they can't issue a certificate without testing the rest of the house and because he's only doing that its very difficult to get a certificate

Am I able to at least get a minor works certificate? Doesn't changing fusebox require a certificate & building control?

Yes, changing a fuse box requires a certificate and notification to building control. A minor works certificate is not appropriate for a new consumer unit / fuse box.

All circuits on the new unit should be tested to ensure they are satisfactory for continued service (sorry, I've not read all 50+ posts, so don't understand why that is not being done).

EDIT: Are you sure the builders electrician is a member of a CPS and able to notify the work. It just occurred to me he could be looking for an excuse not to because he is unable to notify?

Guys,
the builders electrician will be doing 1st & 2nd fix electrics in the kitchen & changing the fusebox, however he said they can't issue a certificate without testing the rest of the house and because he's only doing that its very difficult to get a certificate

Am I able to at least get a minor works certificate? Doesn't changing fusebox require a certificate & building control?
Changing fusebox requires full testing of all circuits. A full EIC certificate must be issued, and building control notification.

GET ANOTHER ELECTRICIAN TO DO THIS WORK

Yes, changing a fuse box requires a certificate and notification to building control. A minor works certificate is not appropriate for a new consumer unit / fuse box.

All circuits on the new unit should be tested to ensure they are satisfactory for continued service (sorry, I've not read all 50+ posts, so don't understand why that is not being done).

EDIT: Are you sure the builders electrician is a member of a CPS and able to notify the work. It just occurred to me he could be looking for an excuse not to because he is unable to notify?

The kitchen is being refurbished completely & the electrician is doing first and 2nd fix electrics with a new main fusebox

They are registered but are not testing the rest of the house. What options do I have for certification if only these things will be done?

The kitchen is being refurbished completely & the electrician is doing first and 2nd fix electrics with a new main fusebox

They are registered but are not testing the rest of the house. What options do I have for certification if only these things will be done?
Either (a) the electrician tests all the house and issues an EIC plus notifies the work, or (b) you get someone else to change the consumer unit who can test all the house etc.

My previous post tells you all you need to know. It is as simple as that. If the electrician won't provide this, you have 2 choices:

1 - Accept that you are taking a gamble by using an electrician that won't issue proper certification, and will not carry out compliant work.

2 - GET SOMEONE ELSE TO DO THE WORK

Either (a) the electrician tests all the house and issues an EIC plus notifies the work, or (b) you get someone else to change the consumer unit who can test all the house etc.
If we get another electrician to do the fusebox & the builders later add to the circuit how does that work? Would i need another certificate for added circuits or can their electrician work with a fusebox installed by another electrician,?

If we get another electrician to do the fusebox & the builders later add to the circuit how does that work? Would i need another certificate for added circuits or can their electrician work with a fusebox installed by another electrician,?
A certificate is required for any new circuit, the bulders electrician should be able to supply that - covering just the new circuit(s). If not, then he should not be doing the work!

And yes, I often install a consumer unit and new circuits are added later by someone else, e.g. for a new kitchen.

EDIT again: Are you really sure the electrician is still registered. I was talking to my CPS assessor yesterday, it seems many contractors have just 'disappeared' over the last 18 months, presumably because they no longer had the funds to continue their scheme membership.

Reply to New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net