Discuss outlet wiring help...something is missing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jeffg59

DIY
Reaction score
I was replacing as outlet..when I disconnected it there were 3 wires being used RED, White and blue. none were connected to the ground so I checked another outlet on the same wall, and saw that only blue and white were being used, again nothing on the ground. White was on the top screw, on the ground side, and the blue was on the top screw on the other side...red was not connected on that outlet. not sure if I should connect the new outlet the same way using only the White and blue?...and leave off the Red? Im confused!!
IMG_8566.jpeg

Blue and red are effectively connected together as the tab between the screws appears to be intact.

I'm going to move this to the US forum for @Megawatt to answer. I believe you can fit a receptacle if there is no ground but it should be GFCI, not 100% sure. There are definitely no bare grounds in the back box.

this is the wiring of the removed outlet...other outlet only had white and blue wires attached

View attachment 62244
Jeff I don’t understand the color coding but my advice to you is hook it up just like you found it. The white wire is correct, the blue is obviously the live wire and the red is serving another function. Depending on when your house was built you might not have no grounds. Good luck

Reply to outlet wiring help...something is missing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I installed 6 recessed lights in my living room. I’m now up to the wiring part of the project. There is an outlet in the room that is...
Replies
Views
I have an existing but unused 50A disconnect on the side of the house. It had been connected to an AC unit that got replaced. It has just 3...
Replies
Views
Mobile home outdoor power supply is a pedestal that power to the mobile home plugs in much like an RV. The main power supply into the mobile home...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in Costa Rica, which adopted the US electrical code. On a regular basis, during thunderstorms, I have parks coming out of the...
Replies
Views
A simple outlet, 110v a single (2) outlets on the left side of the box, a spst switch on the right, with a single cover, covering them both. The...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock