Discuss PAT testing fixed appliances? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have no timeframe stuck in my head, I take each item and where it is and it's use and make my decision on that . Instead of digging at me for my choice of retest of something that I have seen you could have just agreed that not everyone is following accepted testing procedure.

I wasn't "digging at you". In fact I was agreeing with you that a decision should be taken based on the circumstances of how it is used, any deterioration which has occured over time, etc. I was also pointing out that many people fail to understand that different equipment should have different timeframes for Combined Inspection and Testing depending on how onerous the environment in which they are used, etc. as well.

So I really don't understand why you think I was having a go at you.

Apologies Risteard, just picked you up wrong .

Talking to testers from a pat test co recently and digging for info found them to be pushed to do 250 a day @ 60p a shot which to my mind just ticking a box for someone and this is a scenario where I see wrong retest dates may creep in.

i think the name says it portable appliance test , it all depends again on the usage of the equipment building sites there is a high risk of damage where an office there is not , but depending on the fixed appliance to if its a fridge freeezer wired into a fused spur then i will disconneect it safe block it test it and put it back , but if im sat at a desk testing appliances i wouldnt expect some one to bring a cooker over lol see what im saying depends on the itm usage risk , etc

Dont want to burst your bubble here but you should read some of the other posts HSE have just commissioned an independant report as they reckoned that PAT testing was becoming a waste of time and that they recommend that some equipment in some environments either dont have to be tested or the periods betwen tests should be longer in other words a fudge also collages around the country are dropping part and are adopting ISI&TEE because change is a coming in their words so what the problem well people think that PAT testing is anything with a plug on it but this is missing the obvious what about fixed equipment well that can be done under I&T well no it cannot as I&T is for fixed wiring only and electrical equipment wether it is hard wired in or has a plug on it comes under ISI&TEE (formally) PAT so whats the big deal well an electrician can test a fixed appliance but a PAT tester cannot as the college says they cannot and will not authorise these guys to do and this kicks on to insurance so big deal lets just ignore fixed appliances well no because they need to get a handle on this before it comes back and bite them hence the delima they face as we all know the "PAT" industry is becoming a a joke with sticker companies having a field day.

Plus as for the NICEIC they would sell their granny a PAT course if they thought they would get a few bob out of it as they are sales driven and u=in my view are responsable for the state this industry now finds itself in because they are feeding the you to can be an electrician in so many weeks so the comment of you only have to PAT test anything with a plug on it yes it does aply to PAT testing as it used to be called but why do you think they have changed the name to ISI&TEE and are talking about a relaunch because it comes down to insurance companies who have just cottened on that fixed appliances are being missed out and there lies a potential risk for them.

that they recommend that some equipment in some environments either dont have to be tested or the periods betwen tests should be longer

I have a copy of the HSE report which indicates that, provided "formal visual recorded inspections" are made and recorded, then a full inspection and test is not necessary.

However, there are over 3,000 items at my place of work and the company staff do not have time to perform these additional tests - usually on double insulated items in offices.

However, if anyone has other constructive ideas..........

Unless i'm missing the obvious, the company has serveral choices:

v Find the time to set up a testing regime and conduct it in-house
v Engage the services of a contractor
v Ignore it and hope for the best
v Consider employing someone part time to work through the backlog and get the t&i up to date.

v Consider employing someone part time to work through the backlog and get the t&i up to date.
As our american cousins would is this not kicking the can down the road ?

What frequency do you guys suggest PAT testing in schools?

In the 3rd edition of IEE regulations, there are 6 categories, of which schools is one. For the user check, all hand held appliances should be tested before use, all others the user check is weekly. For the full Recorded Combined Inspection and Testing, class 1 is every 12 months and class 2 is every 48 months. Don't forget there is the Recorded Formal Visual Inspection in addition.

Everything is in Table 1 - quote "Initial frequency"

I find the guide to be easily read by all.

Good luck!!!

It looks like what they've tried to do there is to clarify 'common sense' which as we all know in reality isn't that common.
For example basic user checks such as telling the boss if you have to 'wiggle the lead' on an appliance or if a flex has become frayed, could be done more easily and effectively in a small office with a handful of employees, eg going down the shop and buying a replacement, rather than in a large office where employees are told not to attempt any kind of maintenance in case the company get sued, and employees might be put off reporting defective appliances for fear that the time taken by facilities to order a replacement will cause too much inconvenience.
This could well be 'self-policing' as smaller companies are less likely to be able to afford a dedicated health and safety rep.
These user checks could be far more effective than paying someone 50p to slap on a sticker every year.

Never mind the topic thats a dam fine looking breakfast

Never mind the topic thats a dam fine looking breakfast
It's an 'Olympic' breakfast. More of a political statement than anything - Little Chef having been banned from using the term 'Olympic' because of this year's Olympics.
A bigger problem seems to be that it makes me feel hungry every time I post on the forum.

Hi, new to the forum. I too was trying to see what people do regarding fixed appliances. Seems some do & some dont. I also am pleased to see that many of you say its impossible to do hundreds of items a day if its being done correctly. I just did a job of 173 items in a hotel kind of enviroment. It took 3.5 days, although this incuded a lot of remedials and re testing. I would be interested to know what tests people normally carry out. I do visual, earth bond (if required) insulation and leakage. Also one dilema Ive come accross a couple of times recently, heavy items namely beer fridges that are pluged into a socket which cannot be accessed without emptying the fridge and pulling it out from under the worktop. I also had a large coffee machine this week as well. Because emergency isolation cant be performed should the fridge (or other heavy item ) fail because of location? Your comments please.

With the beer fridge, I'd book myself into the nearest hotel, then return to the place of work and systematically empty that the said piece of equipment of its contents. All booked to the job of course!

You could prove earth continuity,of sorts in this case, by taking a measurement off the fridge casing and the nearest available earth.

I'm the one doing the tests inhouse - but, if the company arranged for someone to do the visual formal tests, I would not have to do the combined tests!

Now up to 4,300 and on track on the railway.

Point me to a better way!!!!!!!!!............. Signals time for breakfast!

You could prove earth continuity,of sorts in this case, by taking a measurement off the fridge casing and the nearest available earth

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.net/p...testing-fixed-appliances-6.html#ixzz2J4s1zeGU

Yes I can get a reading that way but my point was, when I did my City & Guilds testing course we were told you can fail an item just because its in an unsuitable location. (the example given was a portable stereo in a bay where a pressure washer is regulary used). When you carry out a periodoc inspection ofthe installation (which I appreciate isnt taught in PAT testing) part of the test sheet relates to adequte access to switchgear. So if youve got a chuffin great appliance which is blocking all access to the socket its plugged into unless you move it then surely its in an usuitable location because you have to also have means of Emergeny isolation.

Reply to PAT testing fixed appliances? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net