Discuss PAT testing fixed appliances? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

II&TEE (In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment.
That's what the IET call it - there's no need to start making up your own acronyms.
Who ever heard of a company getting someone in to do FAT testing?

FAT = Factory Acceptance Test.

Not a lot of people know that :)

Hi Fryers, If you read the new IET code of practice, edition 4 that came out last November, all retesting is done by risk assessment. It depends on type and class of item, location, whos using it, previous PAT test history, how likely staff or users are liable to report a problem. Thers a few other bits in there as well. Bearing in mind the code is only a guide, it says you dont put a retest date on the stickers anymore either. What I have done on my last few jobs is make a susgested retest sched and told the duty holder that the final descision is up to them if they think it should be done more or less often.

Hi Fryers, If you read the new IET code of practice, edition 4 that came out last November, all retesting is done by risk assessment. It depends on type and class of item, location, whos using it, previous PAT test history, how likely staff or users are liable to report a problem. Thers a few other bits in there as well. Bearing in mind the code is only a guide, it says you dont put a retest date on the stickers anymore either. What I have done on my last few jobs is make a susgested retest sched and told the duty holder that the final descision is up to them if they think it should be done more or less often.

Ditto me to

Well if you are a PAT tester legally you cannot and you are not insured if you are a qualified spark you can plus you will need to make a set of leads up BIG GREY area this

Well if you are a PAT tester legally you cannot and you are not insured if you are a qualified spark you can plus you will need to make a set of leads up BIG GREY area this

I am a time served sparks with 50 years experiance but not Part P. None of my customers have asked me to test the appliances supplied, so is it up to them if they
have them tested ? I do have problems with cookers tripping off the C.U RCD which is a pain in the ar--. In one case I had to replace the cooker, Customer not happy.
Once again thanks for your replies.

Here is the problem ISI&TEE or PAT was always about testing electrical equipment no matter how they are connected so why ? Well it was brought in because electrical deaths at work was not from fixed wiring but electrical equipment .

Problem was when it took off it seemed a pretty neat idea in the workplace to get semi skilled people to do the testing of portable equipment only with the electrician mopping up the fixed equipment but no one predicted the explosion in this sector plus we also went to a service based economy ie office . shop and rental properties only thing is the people who ran it were saying remember you have to test fixed appliances as well but the PAT companies were allowed to in my view run wild and anyway it did not pay to do fixed as they also had to hire an electrician for it.

So PAT companies started perpetuating the myths that we have now ie PAT means portable equipment only or electricians have to get C&G2377 to do it if not then they are not PAT qualified or You have to PAT test every year because if something happens you could be charged with coperate manslaughter.

Only problem even after the H&S and ISI&TEE review we are no further forward or clearer yep the government wants to widen the test period for less cost to business but have lumped the decission on the customer and still not clarified fixed appliance. Now that means PAT companies are still ignoring it so when you or I are asked to quote for it we get stuck with like for like so yep customer does not want it but the regs say otherwise.

Only problem even after the H&S and ISI&TEE review we are no further forward or clearer yep the government wants to widen the test period for less cost to business but have lumped the decission on the customer and still not clarified fixed appliance. Now that means PAT companies are still ignoring it so when you or I are asked to quote for it we get stuck with like for like so yep customer does not want it but the regs say otherwise.

The decision on the test interval has always been with the customer since day one of the introduction of the EAWR I remember having a conversation with the HSE on the very subject 20 odd years ago and as always the HSE sat on the fence and did not offer any definitive answer that could implicate themselves if an accident occurred the only information offered was that the test interval should be set at a level that provides adequate checks for the type of appliance and the misuse (abuse) it may get in normal use

Reply to PAT testing fixed appliances? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net